Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook in August 2020.

Interview

The interview involved a phone call to discuss previous work experience and languages that I knew. We also discussed how the hiring process works. We discussed what kind of jobs were avaialable. We discussed remote work opportunities that they had available out of different locations.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Completely ghosted (it's been 2+ weeks) by my recruiter after phone screen. I'm assuming I did not pass but it's unprofessional. Expectations for the interview are quite high why so while I was able to solve both problems and explained my thinking throughout the coding process, I don't doubt that I may have messed up somewhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

Phone interview then remote online interview which is similar to onsite interview , the interview includes 5 rounds each is a 45 minutes, three rounds that focuses on coding , one on career and one on design.

Interview Questions

• Arrays, Trees question , most of the questions are in leet code   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2020.

Interview

Facebook emailed me often asking me to interview for a position there, and I finally did after I was ready to leave my job. I had an initial call with a recruiter who just gave me generic information. She then scheduled a technical interview for me, and I took 2 weeks to prepare.

I did the interview on CoderPad over their video service. The interviewer didn't have the best grasp of English, so it was difficult for me to follow what they were asking. She asked me to do a simple algorithm implementation. I tried asking questions about what the expectations were for the work, and much of the time, she had difficulty explaining what she was asking, and would get flustered and realize she explained something wrong and have to walk it back.

Once I got a good grasp on the conditions and the edge cases, I set about writing out the algorithm. There was no expectation for it to actually run, so I walked her through my logic. She didn't really say much, and changed the input and asked how that would change the output and I walked her through again. She then asked me for the Big(O) of the algorithm, and I gave her my answer - which I believe was correct.

Nothing was said afterwards - I'm used to interviewers asking how I could have improved the algorithm. She left me about 3 minutes for questions for her, and that was it.

Overall, it was not a great experience. These interviews in general seem geared towards kids right out of college, and not testing the abilities of someone with over 15 years of experience (me).

I emailed the recruiter afterwards asking about next steps, and she said she'd get back to me the next week. Got a generic rejection email on Monday. I emailed asking for feedback as I was surprised, and was ignored. I sent my solution to 5 friends who are senior/principle engineers, and all of them said they have no idea why I was rejected.

I've interviewed and worked at other prestigious tech organizations, and never had an experience like this before. I'm not sure what sort of candidate they're looking to attract with this experience, but I certainly would never entertain interviewing for a job there again.

Interview Questions

• Take an array of strings, and return a boolean value if they are in order, based on another array of strings indicating the weight of each character.   3 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screen followed by 4 interviews in one day (remote due to pandemic). Questions seemed generally reasonable, albeit coding questions are really contrived and don't feel like they would filter experienced from inexperienced engineers. For the behavioral interview, it was hard to read the interviewer and what they were looking for, especially considering the whole thing was remote over video.

Up until this point, I would rate the interview average... but then: 5 days after the interviews, I got an email that said that I "did exceptionally well" in my interviews, and that they would follow up with final decision soon. Then the next day, I was told that they won't be making an offer. I was given a very vague reason that the hiring committee (which is not the interviewers) read between the lines of my interview and decided that I don't communicate well in conflict.

Interview Questions

• Tech: Binary tree, strings, bfs, translation service
      Non-tech: behavioral   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

- Phase 1:
    Recruiter reached out, I was excited, but the recruiter kept low balling and pushing me towards "Production engineering" side. After me saying no, recruiter said they would love to have me interview for SWE openings.

- Phase 2:
    Telephonic interview. Two DS and algo questions. solved both of them. discussed optimizations.

- Phase 3 (Virtual Onsite)
    3.1: behavioral :- went very well, generic team and tech questions.

3.2 & 3.3 : Code interview: Two DS and algo questions each round. solved all four questions with best possible run time. discussed optimizations.

3.4 : Design interview: very egoistic my way or high way guy took the interview. he was looking at his phone all through out and his screen. I had to repeat lot of things during the interview. He got stuck on one NoSQL json DB design. After proposing two solutions I was getting to what he needed but then he said it's 45 mins, i gotta go. Later I checked online that all my design was dot correct.

- Phase4:
    week1: we are reviewing
    week2: we are reviewing. It is looking great and all looks positive
    week3: we are reviewing. It is looking great and all looks positive
    Recruiter: No, we think you are great at coding but because of designing interview it's a No. Now there is a cool off time for 1 year before you can re-interview.

Later another recruiter reached me out we have an exception if you want to go through a shorter interview for "production engineering" currently.

All in all a horrible experience. recruiter are very low balling, pushy to make you join infra team, and interviewers are all from one race, hard to communicate, and egoists.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I was contacted repeatedly by the same recruiter on Linkedin. I ignored it at first because I didn't have time to do interviews. I have a job with a reputable company already. When I finally responded they started the whole interview process. I did a phone interview, and two onsite interviews (coding and design). It took two trips to FB campus and overall several hours of my time. I had to take time off work because those interviews are done during regular office hours. Couple weeks have passed and there has been no follow up despite my contacting the recruiter asking for feedback. Not even "thank you for taking your time to interview with us" message. I find this outrageous. Facebook, this is not how you treat people and their valuable time.

Interview Questions

• Create a class implementing iterator interface to go through AVL tree.   3 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2019.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me, scheduled phone interview, could not practice resolving problems, bought a headset (a pretty bad one, not good), I could barely hear my interviewer and I told him, not sure if he listened that. First problem OK, second one took several minutes to understand it, I could not see a connection between 2 nodes of the data sample, we ran out of time before I could start. After the call, it took me about 5 minutes to resolve 2nd. problem , sent solution to recruiter, I think that maybe if a manager would have seen my 2 solutions would have offered me an online chance, but God knows why things happen or not.

Interview Questions

• 1. Add data between low-max from a BST

2. Determine is the nodes of graph can be separated in 2 alternate colors

i.e. a->b->c yes: white-black-white

a->b->c;
                            a->c no: "c" cannot be white & black. I could not see the connection between
                                             a->c, so I could not understand why the second one was false, both looked
                                             the same to me.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

The HR was MIA over and over. From "I was sick on Friday" to "I took Monday off" to "I was working from home on Wednesday". I have to keep going back to the original recruiter to contact HR to contact me. This is still on-going.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Professional and well defined. Initial round was phone screen with recruiter who explained the hiring process. Went through my past work experience and also made sure that my expectations from work perspective are understood. In the phone algorithm, unfortunately could not answer the questions optimally and was dinged at a couple of stages.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to past projects. Couple of algorithm questions.   1 Answer