Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 10, 2017

3.3

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The interview was 5-6 hours of whiteboard problems. The pace of the interview was very quick, with barely enough time to simply write the solutions to the problems. Almost the entire time was spent standing at the whiteboard. At least one of the problems was quite long. The interviewer was late and cutting into the next round. He spent the time I was solving the problem typing into chat on his laptop. I left the interview expecting a good chance of an offer as I had solved most of the problems except for running out of time in that case. As a senior candidate, I don't feel the expected value of the return on preparation and time to do the interview was worth it, given the probability of no-hire for what seems to have been minor concerns.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions that can be found on hackerrank, geeksforgeeks, etc...   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Usual Recruiter call, followed by tech screen. From my experience(two times) so far, The interviewers are junior engineers and looking to hire more college grads rather than experience person. It's not that I wasn't able to complete coding challenge but everytime they find some excuse to pass me on, even though I was able to complete the problem in time. Questions are pretty simple and very basic

For anyone taking interview at Facebook, without a referral I would recommend to avoid onsite for 1st round, and better take it on Phone.

Interview Questions

• Implment binary search   1 Answer
    • Find maximum length of continous subarrays within an array(DP)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Did two tech screens onsite instead of over the phone. The interviewers were very friendly and the second one showed me around the campus after the interview. Parking was horrible at the new building, but the older building had plenty of parking (I got there early). The recruiter was very open with feedback and said that I solved the problem quickly and optimally and that they really loved me and that I was almost perfect - but they only want perfection. So I didn't get the offer. Try again in 6 months, she said.

Interview Questions

• Overlapping intervals. Can't say more (NDA).   1 Answer
    • Tree problem. Leetcode problem rated hard. Can't say more (NDA).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

First, I was contacted by the company recruiter through LinkedIn, then I had a phone conversation with some technical questions, next, I got a screen interview. You can take either online or in person. Since I was only 15 minutes drive from Facebook, I took it in person; within two days, I was invited for the onsite interview that took almost a day including free lunch there. They asked me if I want more time to prepare the interviews. I said I wanted the interviews soon. In respective, it was a mistake on my side. I did not prepare enough.

Interview Questions

• One of several design questions was to design a website to accept a long URL and provide a shorted URL.
      Programming questions are all fundamental data structure questions, like lists, trees, arrays, and maps. One of the questions was to determine whether a given binary tree is a binary search tree.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone call, you will do a 1 hour online coding exam with another developer. If you get past this stage, they will invite you onsite. You will talk with 5 different people with questions around coding and design.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, and scheduled a phone screen at my convenience. Apparently they hire with no job in mind and you are to find a specific job after being blessed as worthy. The phone screen happened on time and the interviewer was polite. This is a very low bar, I realize, but after a few interviews at companies where these basic logistics were badly screwed up, this was sadly a pleasant surprise.

Interview Questions

• I was asked 2 coding/algorithm questions, of which you will find many examples on online sites. I was specifically asked about BST traversal (easy) and one puzzle/algorithm (harder) question. There was a focus on running time.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

recruiter was efficient and helpful, the interview was over the phone with a technical female, she was not that friendly.
    typical questions, that are good for someone that just graduated, they give you material to prepare but for someone that is busy as me, is difficult to find time for it. it doesn't measure the experience that you have with software development as myself coding on c++, java, python for the last 17 years and successfully delivered applications on different industries

Interview Questions

• typical questions of algorithm and optimization, they look for the best answer with the best performance   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was solicited by FB recruiter through LinkedIn. I followed up given my perception of FB being fast pace and open culture. After PS, I went on-site which contains the standard 5 rounds: behavioral & culture fit; coding; coding; design; design.

I was never a fan of behavioral questions and never felt such questions are inspirational, FB is no difference. There was a quick 10-minute coding problem near the end of this round --- you have no time to think but just to code it up. The first coding problem is simple but a little tedious to write code. The second coding problem is medium difficulty with two parts. The first part is simple and I quickly code it. I had to think about the second part to identify the algorithm but had no time to implement it.

In both design rounds, despite the interviewer’s claim that the problem is opened-ended without perfect answer, and what’s important is the thought process, he didn’t really mean it --- a solution that perfectly matches what the interviewer had in mind is expected. The interviewer, graduated from school a few years back, does not have rich project experiences to handle deviations from his standard solution. The interviewer simply likes to move fast on the track of his solution. Any deviation from that track becomes a distraction instead of part of true problem solving process.

Overall I am disappointed with FB interview process. The FB interview loop obviously not really evaluate and identify true problem solving skills or experiences but just how fast you can write bug-free code for simple algorithm problem with little or no time to think. It effectively requires that you have coded the same or very similar problem very recently. I am confident on my coding and problem solving skills and like to present the daily true me instead of an interview-prepared me.

FB hires lots of young graduates and expect them to write fast code. Maybe coding fast and breaking things is fine for web pages, but I suspect how terrible their back-end infrastructure would be due to the code fast mentality.

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions;
      simple to medium algorithm questions;
      design questions;   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The process as such is standard. Three interviewers were good. The other two I felt had some solution in mind, and wanted me to approach the exact same way.

Its almost as if they expect one to mug up a solution and produce the output. There is absolute no room for creative thinking. The interviewer does not work with the interviewee to produce a better solution, instead expects to bark text book answers. Interview should not be a place where in, the skills are judged based on the number of lines of code and code beautification, but instead one should try to evaluate the skills based on thinking and approach taken. I was totally disappointed by the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. We set up initial telephonic chat. Followed by two telephonic interviews. Both were coding and Algorithms related. I didn't do well with first one, I got feedback saying I was slow in providing response. Because of my background they kindly gave me another chance, which I did Ok. Then followed by on site. I wanted to do well in on site so I took a while to prepare and scheduled interview date almost 3 weeks after . I practiced 100+ questions on LeetCode. I also studied large scale system design questions. It's like practice daily 2 hours just for this interview. This is really helped to come up with solutions during on site interview. The on site consists of 2 coding & algorithm questions, 2 design questions and 1 behavior + coding. Except first coding question, because of interviewer poor communication skills, I did n't completely understand what's the problem, in all other rounds I gave my best. After waiting for almost 2 weeks I got a feedback saying they are passing my application. I guess my best is not enough for them. Sometimes even though you prepare well, some factors make you unfit for job, that's a fate. Any case overall I've great experience and get a chance to visit FB campus. As some one mentioned here looks like FB is not giving offers to any SE candidates since Jan 2016 despite people are doing good in interviews. Of course if we think we are doing good that doesn't mean interviewers are also thinking same.