Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone call, you will do a 1 hour online coding exam with another developer. If you get past this stage, they will invite you onsite. You will talk with 5 different people with questions around coding and design.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

This was probably one of the longest interview processes I had to go through. The recruiter was wonderful. She was always very professional and responsive. First I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was a very straight forward conversation and he asked me to give him some pseudo code on how to square a number using their online tool. Standard algorithm questions which I answered correctly. Afterward, the recruiter said it went well and that she would be in contact with me about what the next steps are. A week goes by and she calls me back telling me I have to write an Adobe Air or Java application using the Facebook API's.

I thought it was a little bit much for them to ask me to spend my time writing something I would not be getting paid for. I really wanted to get the job and impress the hiring manager though so I spent my free time, over a two week period making something that looked great and worked really well. It then took them two months to review the application. To me this was totally unprofessional and kind of a slap in the face. The recruiter was in contact with me the whole time and told me they were all busy with their big change to the privacy features.

Finally the hiring manager looked at the application but the recruiter told me they wanted someone else internal to look at the code as well. She told me they were impressed with the application and had rejected a lot of other candidates applications right away. I sat in limbo another few weeks while another person looked at the application. The recruiter then calls me back to tell me that the position I was applying for was dropped. Not that they hired someone else, but that they changed the role I was applying for completely. I think the software engineering interview process has hit an all time low.

First they make the engineer jump through hoops of logic games. Then spout out algorithms and uses of design patterns like robots. Finally you have to spend your free time writing something that they are only going to throw in the garbage. We have all really fallen to a sad state.

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to raise a number to a power.   10 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Did two tech screens onsite instead of over the phone. The interviewers were very friendly and the second one showed me around the campus after the interview. Parking was horrible at the new building, but the older building had plenty of parking (I got there early). The recruiter was very open with feedback and said that I solved the problem quickly and optimally and that they really loved me and that I was almost perfect - but they only want perfection. So I didn't get the offer. Try again in 6 months, she said.

Interview Questions

• Overlapping intervals. Can't say more (NDA).   1 Answer
    • Tree problem. Leetcode problem rated hard. Can't say more (NDA).   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The interview was 5-6 hours of whiteboard problems. The pace of the interview was very quick, with barely enough time to simply write the solutions to the problems. Almost the entire time was spent standing at the whiteboard. At least one of the problems was quite long. The interviewer was late and cutting into the next round. He spent the time I was solving the problem typing into chat on his laptop. I left the interview expecting a good chance of an offer as I had solved most of the problems except for running out of time in that case. As a senior candidate, I don't feel the expected value of the return on preparation and time to do the interview was worth it, given the probability of no-hire for what seems to have been minor concerns.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions that can be found on hackerrank, geeksforgeeks, etc...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

First, I was contacted by the company recruiter through LinkedIn, then I had a phone conversation with some technical questions, next, I got a screen interview. You can take either online or in person. Since I was only 15 minutes drive from Facebook, I took it in person; within two days, I was invited for the onsite interview that took almost a day including free lunch there. They asked me if I want more time to prepare the interviews. I said I wanted the interviews soon. In respective, it was a mistake on my side. I did not prepare enough.

Interview Questions

• One of several design questions was to design a website to accept a long URL and provide a shorted URL.
      Programming questions are all fundamental data structure questions, like lists, trees, arrays, and maps. One of the questions was to determine whether a given binary tree is a binary search tree.
      1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

recruiter was efficient and helpful, the interview was over the phone with a technical female, she was not that friendly.
    typical questions, that are good for someone that just graduated, they give you material to prepare but for someone that is busy as me, is difficult to find time for it. it doesn't measure the experience that you have with software development as myself coding on c++, java, python for the last 17 years and successfully delivered applications on different industries

Interview Questions

• typical questions of algorithm and optimization, they look for the best answer with the best performance   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

A rather long process, expect at least a week between interview portions.

'Phone interview' was done in person - was ninja interview - took 4 days for feedback and next steps took at least a week to plan

Real interview consisted of 5 interviews plus a lunch that wasn't an interview.

One week later I was told to immediately provide contacts from my current employer. 4 days later I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Given a string 'alphabet' and a string 'codex' find the shortest substring in codex that contains all characters in alphabet.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter through LinkedIn. After an initial call from HR, I had an technical Skype interview. It took 45 minutes. 30 min. of coding plus 15 min. for experience related stuff and my questions. I wasn't satisfied with my performance, but surpassingly I passed. We were about to schedule a day long on-side interview process. In the meantime, however, I got another offer and I resign, as this and preparation would have taken too much time.

Interview Questions

• Except experience related questions I was asked coding question and I was supposed to write the solution to the problem in any programming language in a simple web-based code editor. The question was: given and array of positive integers and another integer find whether there is a consecutive range in the array, so that the sum of integers in the range is equal to the given number.

They put an emphasis on delivering working, efficient solution. In my opinion this kind of interview requires a thorough preparation.
      5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Was submitted as an employee referral, so this may have been quicker than some other folks' experience; first talk with a recruiter to offer was about 10 days. The recruiting team was very on the ball, also.

Had one talk with a recruiter about my background, a technical phone screen (as with many companies, writing actual code over a shared-document web page), and a half day on site of in-person interviews. Interviews on site were 3 technical sessions (two coding, one design), a deep discussion of my experience and work style with a manager, and a social lunch (which one should assume is also a "fit" interview although no company I've visited called it that.)

Interviewers were down to earth rather than with the attitude I'd expect of some of the large "hot" companies; the two coding problems involved fairly standard (if potentially fiddly) string or graph manipulations -- one required recursion (or a fairly complicated stack structure) while the other was easier iteratively, and I was asked to re-implement it using recursion in remaining time. As with pretty well everywhere, expect to also give a big-O estimate of the run time, and find some failure cases (or at least explain where you're already handling it.)

The design interview question was tailored to some specialized work I've done and the particular is probably not representative of most groups; as I understand it, everyone gets some level of design interview and it's usually roughly some form of "how would you build this part of an app like ours for our scale."

Got my offer a few days after interviewing. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was the design problem; the most difficult was one of the technical questions which was to implement a subset of regular expression.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I presented another offer I had on the table, and they beat it sufficiently definitively and sufficiently quickly that accepted immediately... I should have countered at least once. Good offer, very competitive, but I still feel like I soft-balled them.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Short talk with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview. Phone interview involved talking about my previous projects, why facebook, was there anything that concerned me about the role, etc. It then involved a coding question which i've detailed below:

Interview Questions

• Implement a method called printNonComments() which prints out a extract of text with comments removed.

For example, the input:

hello /* this is a
      multi line comment */ all

Should produce:

hello
      all

You have access to a method called getNextLine() which returns the next line in the input string.
      5 Answers