Facebook Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after dropping my resume at the career fair. After 2 phone screens, I was invited to attend a 'University Day' at the Menlo Park office for one onsite interview. Each phone screen is generally about 45 minutes long and consists of 2-3 programming questions to be coded on Collabedit. The recruiter and interviewers were very helpful and extremely organized.

Interview Questions

• All programming interviews. Mostly questions on recursion, backtracking, trees and graph theory. Be comfortable with data structures too. Questions from Careercup and Glassdoor are helpful for practice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer I received and did not negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and received an email reply within 48 hours (Oct 28). My recruiter set up a phone screen within the week. It was a 45 minute technical interview that I found a solution for. Again, within 48 hours I received an email saying that I passed.

Facebook gave me an option of three "University day" on-site interview dates, each about a week apart from each other. I chose the last date, Dec 3rd, almost a month later. Facebook will cover all of your traveling fees, so no worries about the cost of flying across the country. The internship on-sites start with one 45-minute interview, then lunch (good food!), then a tour, then a quick presentation about why Facebook employees love working at FB, then an open Q&A with new FB employees.

By chance, my recruiter was hosting the interview group, so I got a super early-bird heads up that I received an offer before I even left FB headquarters! From what I gather by talking to other interviewees, you might have to wait 3 or 4 days to hear back from your recruiter. Good luck, everyone!

Interview Questions

• Facebook loves graph theory and tree questions. Study up on these for sure. I feel like my questions were of average difficulty, not hard by any means. Some of the other interviewees I talked to received recycled questions that I've seen on this site and on careercup.   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you have another offer with some clout (like LinkedIn or Google), I hear you can negotiate even an internship salary. I was happy with the offer I received, so I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I received a mail from HR to give my basic information and programming skills. There was no phone interview with HR at all so we arranged technical interview through mail. The interviewer was very nice and polite, so you don't have to be scared at all. It will help you if you stuck.

Interview Questions

• On my technical interview I was asked questions about time and space complexity, and to implement some simple algorithms. Example - check if string is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

A friend from Facebook referred me. A recruiter called me few days later.

She sent me an email, asking general questions like: "When do you graduate? How often do you code? Strongest programming languages?"

After answering the email, I had an initial chat with her over the phone, where she asked general questions like: "What office do you prefer? Would you consider a position in UK after the internship?"

One week later I had the first technical interview. The interview started with 5 minutes of questions about my work, then we jumped into one coding interview question. The question was simple: Write a function which given two binary numbers as strings returns the sum of them in binary. 5 minutes for my questions at the end.

Few hours after the interview, I got an email from the recruiter saying that the feedback is very good and they would like to schedule the final interview.

The last interview was easier than the first one: "Given a list of strings, return a list of lists, where each list consists of words that are anagrams." Example: Given ["cab", "cz", "abc", "bca", "zc"] the output should be: [ [ "abc", "bca", "cab"] , [ "zc", cz"]]. I managed to finish this question quite fast (after only 15 min). The interviewer wanted to finish the interview after 15 minutes, but I insisted to get another question. The next question I've got was even easier: "Write a function which returns the nth number of Fibonacci". When I've seen the question I jumped straight away implementing it (took me like 2 minutes), then we compared the iterative method with the recursive one.

After the interview, I got an email from the recruiter saying that my coding skills are very good, but the interviewer complained about the fact that I was a bit careless when answering the questions, and that I didn't explained him the Fibo solution before writing code. They wanted to schedule another interview.

One week later I had the last interview, which was some kind of giving me another chance, because they usually have only 2 interviews.

The last interview was much more difficult than the other two. The first question was: "Write a recursive function which given a string, prints all the subsets of it." After solving this question, he added one constraint. Now what if you want only unique solutions? This was quite hard, and I only managed to solve it after he gave me one important hint.

The second day I received a standard rejection email.

Interview Questions

• Given a string write a function which prints all the subsets of the string. Now make the function to return only unique solutions.

For example if they give you "abc"
      you print out
      a
      ab
      abc
      ac
      b
      bc
      c

Now for the unique solution constraint, if they give you "aba" the output should be:
      a
      ab
      aba
      b   7 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The first one was an on-campus interview. It was 45 minutes long and consisted of 2 coding questions. The first one was checking if a string is palindrome the second one is to print out all the subsets.
    The second round was two weeks later. It was a 45 minute phone interview. The question was to multiply two numbers that are represented in string.
    My advice is that don't panic when you are given a hard question. I did not finish my last question and luckily still got the offer. Just try your best to show them how you approach the problem and be passionate and confidant!

Interview Questions

• check palindrome, print subsets, multiply numbers in string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I spoke to an engineer at a university career fair and gave them my resume. I was contacted the next day for an on-campus 45-minute interview. The interviewer was nice and got straight to the technical questions. He asked two. The first was easy, and I spent the rest of the time on the second. He gave me hints as I struggled along.

I was told we would receive feedback in the next week. I got an email a week later about flying to their Menlo Park, CA HQ for an on-site interview and tours/talks. The schedule consisted of one 45 minute interview, and the rest of the day was lunch, a tour, and two tech talks. It was very relaxing! The interviewer asked me one technical question and built it up a bit, and then he asked me about the most recent bug I encountered.

It took them three weeks to get back to me, which made me think I didn't get the job, but I got the offer in the end!

They were really nice and really wanted to get to know you as a person, not just whether you know your algorithms. They also really cared about showing their interest in hiring you, which was a plus and not something you get at a lot of big tech companies.

I had a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Given a library of numbers to corresponding letters (1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, etc.) and a string made up of digits, return how many different ways those digits can be translated to letters.
      ex: “1111”: “aaaa” “kaa” “aka” “aak” “kk” => 5 different ways   2 Answers
    • Print out the nodes of a binary tree level by level.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a FB representative, and had to do two interview. One on my college campus, and in HQ. Questions were relatively straightforward algorithm questions, combined with programming. They do not require tons of technical knowledge, just thinkingabout the program, problem solving, and coding. It was a very good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Implement a very basic regular expression checker which given a string and a regex, returns true or false. Should consider 'a'-'z','.', and '*'.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

It was a really fast and straight-forward recruiting process. I had a phone screen with a recruiter, then two coding interviews with Facebook Engineers with two coding questions each. Next day after the second technical interview, I got an email telling me that I've been accepted as an intern for next year.

Interview Questions

• Given two strings representing integer numbers ("123" , "30") return a string representing the sum of the two numbers ("153")   12 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Campus Interview

Interview Questions

• Convert a binary tree into a circular doubly linked list. The order of the elements in the linked list have to be the order of elements you get when you do an in order traversal of the binary tree.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I was invited to interview on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked included (only) printing the nodes of a linked list in reverse, finding the longest palindrome in a given string, finding maximum subarray sum (similar to Kadane's Algorithm) with the constraint that two numbers in the array that form the max sum cannot be next to each other.   3 Answers

Negotiation

They don't negotiate for undergraduates, but the offer was very generous.