Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was my first phone interview. The interviewer started with introducing himself and in a minute we started our technical interview. Only one question was asked. After listening to my various approaches, he kept on adding more and more constraints.

Interview Questions

• If your are given an Integer Singly linked list. Print it backwards.
      Constraints: 1. Do not manipulate the list. (example: do not make it a doubly linked list, do not add or delete elements, do not change any memory location of any element)
      2. O(n) < time < O(n^2)
      3. O(1) < space < O(n)
      12 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I talked to some engineers when Facebook visited my college. About a month or two later, I received an email from HR and got a phone technical interview the following week. Everything went smoothly and everybody was very polite.

Interview Questions

• Got an online whiteboard interview while talking to an engineer on the phone. The engineer introduced himself in the beginning and made sure that I understood the question. He also pointed out some mistakes that I made.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

As far as difficulty, interview was pretty standard. Facebook has a very low tolerance for bugs/mistakes, so definitely test hard!

Having received offers from major companies (Google, Microsoft and Amazon) and having 8+ years experience at one of these, I feel reasonably confident in saying I wasn't challenged. Instead, the whole process felt like an exam, and most interviewers behaved like examiners, not collaborators.

There was very little discussion or debate. During 4 coding rounds, the interviewers took a backseat right after they gave me the problem statement. After I was done coding, the interviewers examined my code and stated their objections to it, such as:

- There's a wrong variable name that won't let your code compile
    - Please don't use your own utility functions, I've provided you with a few
    - Your code doesn't meet my contract exactly (I did implement an optimization, with the verbal agreement that the client didn't need the extra data)
    - In my system design round, I was asked to scale out a complicated data structure. I did make reasonable progress, but the interviewer and I were playing catch-up for the entire interview

Two interviewers told me to implement a 'silly' protocol, or a 'silly' class. This clearly makes it an exam, and not a true discussion/debate since it is not possible to make many logical arguments.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, but this is not very different from any other tech interview   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Quick 15min phone screen w/ recruiter. Recruiter asked some multiple choice questions about Android development. Approved me for next stage with technical phone screen interview. Sent email with lots of interview prep material. Technical phone screen interview was setup with a screenshare platform where I was asked two different algorithm type questions. First question was rather easy and involved a standard hash table. Second question involved bit manipulation which I had not expected. Even the interviewee had trouble giving me hints/help. Was not accepted for the next stage onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 Multiple Choice Android Development/API questions.
      2 Algorithm/Data Structure Questions.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had two interviews. Both over the phone where I coded on a coder pad document. During my first interview I was asked a LeetCode medium question. The interviewer was nice. During my second interview I was asked to implement a certain Facebook feature. My second interviewer was extremely friendly. Also my recruiter was awesome. I haven't accepted the offer, but it's definitely being highly considered based off of the way I was treated.

Interview Questions

• Know common data structures and algorithms. LeetCode is extremely helpful. Also have an answer to Why Facebook? and variations of that question.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A brief discussion with the team member about the target program. Then there is a online coding problem on sorted array about medium difficulty and a following problem about it.

Interview Questions

• Not to expose the interview question according to assignment. Review algorithm and data structure if you don't know what to do.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview went pretty well. There was a small discussion on my college projects which lasted only around 5 minutes. Then, I was asked to open the codepad link and asked to write the code on wildcard pattern recognition and dry run it. I wrote it, explained but was not able to handle a corner case. I was expecting second round since the interview was not that bad but was rejected on the same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I interviewed at Facebook (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was shortlisted after talking to them at the career fair and the recruiter was in touch throughout the process. Was called for a persona interview for 45 minutes. We talked about my past work for three minutes and then moved on to the coding question. Interviewer was helpful.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

There are5 minutes resume problems(based on your projects list in your resume and what kind of tech you use in this project) and self introduction and 40 minutes coding with a shared editor, finally there are 5 minutes for you to ask problems .