Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   1 Answer
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a Facebook recruiter on Linked In for my expertise in Android. We conversed on and off over a few weeks as I am on business travel a lot, and he was able to setup a phone-based technical interview for me that met my scheduling needs. This recruiter was incredibly professional and interpersonal, provided plenty of prep resources, and made me feel like he was really rooting for me. Awesome!

Technical phone interview went poorly. The interviewer introduced himself and immediately asked me a very vague Android question. I feel that I handled my responses very well in an attempt to narrow down what he may be fishing for while demonstrating myself to be adept with Android. Yet I was given very little positive feedback, and he seemed to ask the same question several more times. Apparently, I have no clue what he was asking. At this point, I felt like an item on his to-do list.

He denied the compile and run time capabilities of coderpad, making for a much more theoretical text-only based environment. So the solution would have to be proven to work via tracing it, which wastes time and renders coderpad pointless in my opinion.

It was difficult enough for me to understand the thick accent that it turned me off to asking clarifying questions during the coding problem. Instead, I felt that I had to voice every thought, which did not allow me to think more deliberately. I became a bit flustered and floundered for a moment, despite the question being relatively simple. I recognized this, and had prepared for it by having a white board at the ready. I requested to have a moment to collect my thoughts and draw on my board quick. I am a visual person and there are things that are just more easily drawn than typed out. He declined, telling me to stick to the editor.

At this point, it was game over. Typing my thoughts in the editor was making a mess as I traced my logic over the examples because the cursor was jumping all over. I believe this was because the editor was technically set to Java, and I should have made a comment block around his question and my typing. I also was not allowed to create a runnable Java class to put my code in. So I was cut off before long.

I tried to exchange some more pleasantries but he was clearly done. In any case, I had asked him why he chose Facebook and I got a dissatisfying answer. I would gander a guess that he was not nearly as stoked about the mission and impact of Facebook as I am, and I don't even work there!

I think I had most of the main working principles and demonstrated that I could code Java, but the solution was not complete. (To be honest, I think I suffered a small panic attack.) It does not matter if you invented a robot that defeats the Turing Test, the technical interviewer may not care to even read your resume and will shut you down if you do not perform flawlessly. With these tech giants, you won't be hired without a perfect performance.

The recruiter sent me a canned rejection two days later with no response to my reply. I completely understand and respect the decision to be cutoff. But I feel like it took two to make this a waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Balance a string with parentheses. "a(b)" -> "a(b)"; "(((((" -> ""; "(()())" -> "(()())"; ")ab(()" -> "ab()"; etc...   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

4 hour onsite interview after doing two, 45 minute phone interviews. None of the questions were incredibly hard, and were able to be solved within 30-45 minutes if you are well brushed up on your data structures and common algorithms.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a letter from the recruiter in a few days, after I applied. Two days later there was a phone interview. The recruiter showed no interest and asked me to wait until she read my resume. She asked me just one question: "tell me about yourself", after that I received a verbal refusal. There was no technical questions nor what I'm interested in. "Unfortunately, now we are looking for people with 3-4 years of work experience". A few days later I received a letter of refusal. I did not expect such unprofessional behavior from Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screening with human resources, as a first assessment. Then first stage of phone coding interview using codepad focused on algorithmic question.The inteview lasts 45 minutes and you are presented with a problem immediately that you need to solve as fast as you can.

Interview Questions

• Given the alphabet encoded as numbers (e.g., a=1, b=2, ..., z=26), and a sequence of numbers (e.g., "23413259802"), how many strings can be generated.   14 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was interviewed by a new graduate out of school who did not seem interested in interviewing me. There was no consideration given to my experience to match me with an appropriate role by the recruiter or the interviewer. Overall, not a good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter and then a phone technical interview two weeks later. The technical interview was of medium difficulty and the interviewer was nice. I quickly got the second most optimized answer but my interviewer wanted the most optimized answer which took a longer for me to come up with.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screen, initial coding test (remote or onsite), full day gauntlet (onsite). Went well at the beginning, with friendly and engaged interviewers, until the last interviewer of my onsite day was unavailable and got replaced by someone who obviously didn't care. Otherwise, surprisingly not as culty as expected.

Interview Questions

• Write a C function to merge two sorted linked lists   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted my a recruiter on Linkedin in March. The recruiter stopped responding and after I received another offerin May, the recruiter was interested again.
    The reason contact discontinued was because they were looking for senior level engineers. (Not a good reason for such a large company).
    Phone interview was set for 2 weeks after initial contact in May. Feedback after the interview was to have another phone screen because I was given too many hints, I got maybe 2 hints that were not helpful and misleading.

I decided to go with my other offer and did not bother to continue with the process.