Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,086 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,086 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

Was referred. Had one phone interview and was then invited to the office for an interview there. Didn't feel super comfortable with the first interviewer, but the one on campus was really fun.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Met with recruiters on campus. Was given an on campus interview that involved medium difficulty coding questions. After this technical screen I was given an on-site interview in Seattle. This was the final interview where I had another one on one whiteboard coding interview.

Interview Questions

• My final interview question involved finding the smallest continuous pangram in a sequence of characters given a specific dictionary of all possible letters to use.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The first step of the process is a one hour long phone screen with an engineer, consisting of fairly standard CS interview questions. The next step is a roughly four hour long onsite interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A 45 minutes phone screen interview. Go through the resume, asked some behavior questions such as why facebook, what's your interest area. Then asked a technical question. In the end, let me ask a question about his team.

Interview Questions

• A string represents an equation such as x + 4 = 8 - x, solve the x   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   2 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I had two interviews. First round was on my school's campus and second round was at Facebook's office for a University Day. The whole process was pretty smooth and quick. My recruiters were awesome!!!

Interview Questions

• - decode ways (check it out on leetcode),
      - find all possible strings from a string of numbers given a mobile keypad   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I had a phone screen. First, the interviewer asked questions about Big O analysis in space and time. Afterwards, there were coding questions. Then, there was a about 5 mins Q&A.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, find the the sum of tree.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

One technical interview over the phone. . . Pretty standard stuff. They flew me out to California for a final technical interview and tour of the campus. The campus recruiters were super responsive and extremely helpful throughout the process.