Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,036 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,036 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Did a phone screen, then a full-day interview loop, then was asked to do *another* phone screen. I had a great on-site (probably one of the best of my career; I got the correct answer to *every question* with time to spare), but it didn't matter: second phone screen was a disaster. The call was delayed due to a technical problem, the guy barely spoke english, and he was annoyed from the start. I got the DYHQFM early-end-of-interview signal despite writing a correct solution, and was rejected shortly thereafter.

Overall, Facebook's interview process is marginally more humane than the other big players, but just as idiotic and random. Solving the problems and correctly writing them on a whiteboard whilst singing and dancing is insufficient -- if you make *any* mistakes, you will fail. If an interviewer is having a bad day, you will fail. If an interviewer doesn't feel like doing interviews today, you will fail. If someone feels like failing you because you're too old or not wearing a hoodie or they don't like your voice, you will fail.

The recruiters will tell you all sorts of nonsense about how people are looking for "how you think" and that they understand that candidates are nervous and blah, blah blah...these are lies. It's random, and it's biased strongly toward failure. You're probably going to fail, regardless of performance. Basically, if you're demonstrably a really good engineer, flip a coin seven times. If you get all heads, you get a job. Otherwise, you fail.

I'm tired of hearing Facebook complain about not being able to find qualified people. They probably reject more great engineers for random reasons in a single day than most companies see in a year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Horrible experience. Out of all the interviews I had in my life, this is by far the worst experience ever because the interviewer is SO DISREPECTFUL. 1) First, the interviewer speaks terrible English and he gets frustrated when I ask for clarifications. He did not clarify the question even when I explicitly asked him for constraints, which turned his original problem into one that is a lot harder. 2) I solved the first question easily, and then he asked me a hard level LC question without clarifying it. He stays silent almost throughout the entire interview and gets extremely impatient when I ask questions. I always try to learn something from my interview, and what I learned from this experience is that crazy people also interview candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

- recruiter msg linked in
    - "we love profile"
    - me happy, set time to call

-recruiter call
    -talk about background my work
    -recruiter email me
    -"which teams you like "
     -me instagram and more
     -dancing.jpg

-interview day - 45 mins call
    - interview guy call on time
    - "okay lets code"
    - me "Ok"
    -give leetcode easy
    - me happy - code in 10 min
    - iinterview guy "ok good .. is work"
    - interview guy think let me screw candidate
    - give leetcode hard
    - me think - omg u seroius wow
    - me think logic.. think to code.. ok
    - ok code.. think.. code..
    - roadrunner.jpg
    -80% code finish confirm logic work
    - interview guy "ok time up any question"
    - me ask backgroud of guy
    - ok bye thanks goodweeknd etc

- recruiter email - reject

- me wow such broke system or such hire good???

Interview Questions

• solve leetcode easy? solve leetcode hard?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Referred by a current employee for a new grad software engineering position. Entire process took about 4 week from initial application to decision. Had one phone screen with basic programming problems. Received invitation for onsite interview.

Attended Facebook University Day. Had 3 back to back interviews with typical medium problems you'd see on LeetCode.

Didn't receive offer, but had a great time. Practice your LeetCode, but more importantly practice talking through the problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had a phone interview. Got the most optimal solution to the algorithms problem, refactored code, asked good questions about working at Facebook, asked them some stuff about engineering from their blog. Ended up getting a rejection the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

It started out pleasant with a phone screen conversation with the recruiter but then went downhill from there. They were very late for the technical phone interview. Then came the onsite. First interviewer was nice and intelligent but seemed to be expecting me to provide a very specific solution. Though what I provided was close, it looks like he wrote me off because I didn't get that exact solution. The next interviewer was a very jaded engineer who clearly didn't want to be there. Unresponsive to questions. It was very awkward and put me off in a major way. The experience interview was the only good interview in my opinion and I had a good exchange. Admittedly I was not prepared as I should have been for the system design interviews but tough luck if you aren't a big data expert or haven't worked already at a company like, well, Facebook. After a week or two the recruiter told me -- in recruiter speak of course -- that I was a terrible candidate and should think before applying again. Perhaps it's the process that needs work.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I handed in resume to hr, and then they contacted me and I did phone interview first.
    finally it is onsite interview
    w w w w w w w w w w

Interview Questions

• given a set of intervals, find the maximum overlap number   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone interview. I had to solve a coding question. The questions had average difficulty. Despite I knew how to solve the questions and explained my algorithm, the interviewer didn't seem interested at all. I started coding and explained every step I did. I could tell that my interviewer didn't even listen to me since when I asked questions I either didn't get a response or a "What do you need?" if I waited a few seconds. Overall very negative experience.

Interview Questions

• Search a grid and find paths of certain lengths.   2 Answers