Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

3.2

967 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

One Phone Interview. Three questions. Leetcode Medium level.

Then onsite after two weeks. 4 rounds of whiteboard interviews. Interviewers we pretty chill. One leetcode easy and other questions were of leetcode hard level. Screwed up the easy question (brain freeze I guess). Managed the hard questions with the best possible complexity but missed a few edge cases and some silly mistakes that could have been avoided. I guess they look for a complete working solution with the best time complexity. Got a generic reject mail within 2 weeks.

Overall a positive experience !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a few chats with the recruiter, mostly because I kept dropping off. Recruiter was nice and seemed generally enthusiastic. I finally scheduled a phone screen in July 2017. Completed the exercise on collabedit. I completed in the time allotted, with about 8 minutes to spare. Gave correct runtime and functional, correct code. Interviewer was skeptical it worked, but after walking through it he decided it worked and said I did pretty well. I was not moved forward to an onsite. I was not given any feedback on my performance. I have no idea what went wrong. This is the second time I did a phone screen with FB and this is exactly what happened before.

Interview Questions

• Remove unbalanced parenthesis from a string. Give Runtime, space.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

Traditional interview process, phone + onsite. I was declined after the phone part although I've provided right solutions for both questions. I guess when you are interviewed by the fresh grad those guys/gals treat interview as some kind of test where you should write an answer without any minor mistakes and testing.

Easy questions, not sure why I was declined.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, move all zeroes to the right.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of persons and a function knows(I,j) which returns true if person I knows person j, find a celebrity person defined as: person doesn't know anybody else and everybody else knows him.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First I was asked standard non technical questions. That was for 10 mins. Next I was given a coding question. After solving that one another harder question was asked.
    The interviewer was were very helpful and nice to talk to, unlike other places I have interviewed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a Facebook recruiter on Linked In for my expertise in Android. We conversed on and off over a few weeks as I am on business travel a lot, and he was able to setup a phone-based technical interview for me that met my scheduling needs. This recruiter was incredibly professional and interpersonal, provided plenty of prep resources, and made me feel like he was really rooting for me. Awesome!

Technical phone interview went poorly. The interviewer introduced himself and immediately asked me a very vague Android question. I feel that I handled my responses very well in an attempt to narrow down what he may be fishing for while demonstrating myself to be adept with Android. Yet I was given very little positive feedback, and he seemed to ask the same question several more times. Apparently, I have no clue what he was asking. At this point, I felt like an item on his to-do list.

He denied the compile and run time capabilities of coderpad, making for a much more theoretical text-only based environment. So the solution would have to be proven to work via tracing it, which wastes time and renders coderpad pointless in my opinion.

It was difficult enough for me to understand the thick accent that it turned me off to asking clarifying questions during the coding problem. Instead, I felt that I had to voice every thought, which did not allow me to think more deliberately. I became a bit flustered and floundered for a moment, despite the question being relatively simple. I recognized this, and had prepared for it by having a white board at the ready. I requested to have a moment to collect my thoughts and draw on my board quick. I am a visual person and there are things that are just more easily drawn than typed out. He declined, telling me to stick to the editor.

At this point, it was game over. Typing my thoughts in the editor was making a mess as I traced my logic over the examples because the cursor was jumping all over. I believe this was because the editor was technically set to Java, and I should have made a comment block around his question and my typing. I also was not allowed to create a runnable Java class to put my code in. So I was cut off before long.

I tried to exchange some more pleasantries but he was clearly done. In any case, I had asked him why he chose Facebook and I got a dissatisfying answer. I would gander a guess that he was not nearly as stoked about the mission and impact of Facebook as I am, and I don't even work there!

I think I had most of the main working principles and demonstrated that I could code Java, but the solution was not complete. (To be honest, I think I suffered a small panic attack.) It does not matter if you invented a robot that defeats the Turing Test, the technical interviewer may not care to even read your resume and will shut you down if you do not perform flawlessly. With these tech giants, you won't be hired without a perfect performance.

The recruiter sent me a canned rejection two days later with no response to my reply. I completely understand and respect the decision to be cutoff. But I feel like it took two to make this a waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Balance a string with parentheses. "a(b)" -> "a(b)"; "(((((" -> ""; "(()())" -> "(()())"; ")ab(()" -> "ab()"; etc...   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

4 hour onsite interview after doing two, 45 minute phone interviews. None of the questions were incredibly hard, and were able to be solved within 30-45 minutes if you are well brushed up on your data structures and common algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Unable to disclose due to signing NDA   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

A recruiter contacted me to see if I was interested in applying to Facebook. They had me do a phone screen, which is 45 minutes long. The interview was pretty strange. I could hear the interviewer yawning throughout the interview. The question was formatted strangely. He phrased in his preferred language, which was C++, but I had to translate what he wanted me to do into whatever language I was using for the interview. Towards the end of the interview he assured me that he was happy with the solution, and that I would be able to code it in my language of choice. A few days later I received a rejection from the recruiter. All in all, pretty happy to get the rejection since the FB phone screen alone raised a bunch of red flags for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a letter from the recruiter in a few days, after I applied. Two days later there was a phone interview. The recruiter showed no interest and asked me to wait until she read my resume. She asked me just one question: "tell me about yourself", after that I received a verbal refusal. There was no technical questions nor what I'm interested in. "Unfortunately, now we are looking for people with 3-4 years of work experience". A few days later I received a letter of refusal. I did not expect such unprofessional behavior from Facebook