Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

3.2

999 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Did a phone screen, then a full-day interview loop, then was asked to do *another* phone screen. I had a great on-site (probably one of the best of my career; I got the correct answer to *every question* with time to spare), but it didn't matter: second phone screen was a disaster. The call was delayed due to a technical problem, the guy barely spoke english, and he was annoyed from the start. I got the DYHQFM early-end-of-interview signal despite writing a correct solution, and was rejected shortly thereafter.

Overall, Facebook's interview process is marginally more humane than the other big players, but just as idiotic and random. Solving the problems and correctly writing them on a whiteboard whilst singing and dancing is insufficient -- if you make *any* mistakes, you will fail. If an interviewer is having a bad day, you will fail. If an interviewer doesn't feel like doing interviews today, you will fail. If someone feels like failing you because you're too old or not wearing a hoodie or they don't like your voice, you will fail.

The recruiters will tell you all sorts of nonsense about how people are looking for "how you think" and that they understand that candidates are nervous and blah, blah blah...these are lies. It's random, and it's biased strongly toward failure. You're probably going to fail, regardless of performance. Basically, if you're demonstrably a really good engineer, flip a coin seven times. If you get all heads, you get a job. Otherwise, you fail.

I'm tired of hearing Facebook complain about not being able to find qualified people. They probably reject more great engineers for random reasons in a single day than most companies see in a year.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screen. First introduce past experience/projects, followed by two algorithm questions. Last few minutes to ask interviewer questions. Overall good interview experience. Interviewer was willing to give hints and feedback.

Interview Questions

• Find the connected components in a graph.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Screen followed by full day interviews. Expectation is to solve two questions in two coding rounds in about 35 to 40 mins. So, indirect expectation is to mug up/memorize and spit out there. No time for thinking because many people just mug up to crack. I am not a mugger and this is not a place to work if you really care about solving real unseen problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1 phone interview and 1 onsite interview which has 3 rounds. The whole process last about one month. The overall experience is pretty positive. But did not get offer eventually.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions and the last onsite round is a behavior one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

First call is to get to know you as a person, see if your resume is accurate, judge your interest in the company. My recruiter was AWESOME (Facebook prioritizes this).

The second interview is where the knowledge is tested. I did well up until the last question and I floundered pretty hard. More details in the second question below.

Interview Questions

• Open ended: what do you know about Memory Management in Objective C?   1 Answer
    • Solve a Recursive function   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Had a competing offer due. Turn around was incredibly fast. Whole process from initial phone screen to onsites to offer took < 2 weeks. General DS, medium leetcode questions. Explain your thought process to your interviewer and try to code fast.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Referred by someone at New York headquarter. Phone interview at the first round. Need to code and run online judge after the code has been completed. Have not heard from the feedback yet after 1 day.

Interview Questions

• Return the sum of node values at each level of binary tree   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview questions were not very hard. they can be found on Leetcode etc.
    However, you will have to be extremely careful in how you code them. You must be able to code without any mistakes almost in a mechanical fashion.

Interview Questions

• design: design Instagram   1 Answer
    • behavioural: what kind of teammates you don't like   Answer Question
    • behavioural: tell me about the most interesting project.   Answer Question
    • coding: given a dictionary and 2 words. find the shortest path between 2 words by modifying only one character at a time and using only words in the dictionary.   1 Answer
    • coding: print the given binary tree in column order   1 Answer