Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

As far as difficulty, interview was pretty standard. Facebook has a very low tolerance for bugs/mistakes, so definitely test hard!

Having received offers from major companies (Google, Microsoft and Amazon) and having 8+ years experience at one of these, I feel reasonably confident in saying I wasn't challenged. Instead, the whole process felt like an exam, and most interviewers behaved like examiners, not collaborators.

There was very little discussion or debate. During 4 coding rounds, the interviewers took a backseat right after they gave me the problem statement. After I was done coding, the interviewers examined my code and stated their objections to it, such as:

- There's a wrong variable name that won't let your code compile
    - Please don't use your own utility functions, I've provided you with a few
    - Your code doesn't meet my contract exactly (I did implement an optimization, with the verbal agreement that the client didn't need the extra data)
    - In my system design round, I was asked to scale out a complicated data structure. I did make reasonable progress, but the interviewer and I were playing catch-up for the entire interview

Two interviewers told me to implement a 'silly' protocol, or a 'silly' class. This clearly makes it an exam, and not a true discussion/debate since it is not possible to make many logical arguments.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, but this is not very different from any other tech interview   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

45 minutes interview with one tech question. Their engineering called and briefly asked about why you want to work at facebook. You have time to ask them questions at the end

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online, and a recruiter reached out to me almost two months after. She asked me for some info and my availability and within two or three days scheduled one technical phone call with an engineer. The engineer was extremely helpful and you could tell he genuinely wanted me to do well (study prior), good after convo don't be afraid to ask questions! It's not everyday you get to talk to an engineer working for facebook.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was my first phone interview. The interviewer started with introducing himself and in a minute we started our technical interview. Only one question was asked. After listening to my various approaches, he kept on adding more and more constraints.

Interview Questions

• If your are given an Integer Singly linked list. Print it backwards.
      Constraints: 1. Do not manipulate the list. (example: do not make it a doubly linked list, do not add or delete elements, do not change any memory location of any element)
      2. O(n) < time < O(n^2)
      3. O(1) < space < O(n)
      12 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

contacted thru linkedn , if I was interested in facebook. Pondered whether to give a try or not . As my impression was facebook being php shop and me being a scala developer it would not match my skillset(Not interested in going back to dreaded c++ either). Meandered and then agreed for phone interview.

I have pretty good exp (10+) most of these interviews are not cakewalks but not hard either. Only concern being absolutely neat monkey coding text book soln in 30-40mins. Most of the interviewers are nit picky and want perfect code. So you have 10 mins to think and 30 mins to code in a collabedit. Unless you are able to monkey code the soln while talking to interviewer , just simply avoid its nothing but sheer nonsense. But if you want to practice then ;-)

Interview Questions

• The interview called up 30 minutes late and rushed thru.
      Given a string break it up into meaningful sentence "thesystemisrunning" => the system is running
      1 Answer
    • After 3 weeks I got call for another interview.

Given a million a million integers find the kth smallest
      1 Answer
    • Got a call saying they need to take another interview, was nearly about to say thanks but no thanks but ended up taking it just for practice.

LRU cache which gives latest accessed element.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Interview was 45 minutes long. Two coding questions were asked. Interview was based on data structures and algorithms. Prepare tree data structure well. Be ready for dynamic programming questions. Brush up algorithm techniques, basics of any data structures.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree Traversals
      2. Sum of contiguous array elements
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Hr connected me and ask dome simple questions. I was told to have a phone interview and which the interviewer ask simple questions. The onsite is not professional. Three architectures and three coding! One of my interviewer is an Indian guyand HE DID NOT communicate with me! I keep asking him to clarify but hd refuse to answer it! How they can ask such rude people interview others?

Interview Questions

• Three architectures questions. Simple but seems they have the problem at work, stole interviee's idea?   Answer Question
    • Coding questions not to testing skill more than asking people to leave.   Answer Question

Not a good interviewing process!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I talked to some engineers when Facebook visited my college. About a month or two later, I received an email from HR and got a phone technical interview the following week. Everything went smoothly and everybody was very polite.

Interview Questions

• Got an online whiteboard interview while talking to an engineer on the phone. The engineer introduced himself in the beginning and made sure that I understood the question. He also pointed out some mistakes that I made.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Quick 15min phone screen w/ recruiter. Recruiter asked some multiple choice questions about Android development. Approved me for next stage with technical phone screen interview. Sent email with lots of interview prep material. Technical phone screen interview was setup with a screenshare platform where I was asked two different algorithm type questions. First question was rather easy and involved a standard hash table. Second question involved bit manipulation which I had not expected. Even the interviewee had trouble giving me hints/help. Was not accepted for the next stage onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 Multiple Choice Android Development/API questions.
      2 Algorithm/Data Structure Questions.
      Answer Question