Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   1 Answer
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screening with human resources, as a first assessment. Then first stage of phone coding interview using codepad focused on algorithmic question.The inteview lasts 45 minutes and you are presented with a problem immediately that you need to solve as fast as you can.

Interview Questions

• Given the alphabet encoded as numbers (e.g., a=1, b=2, ..., z=26), and a sequence of numbers (e.g., "23413259802"), how many strings can be generated.   12 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screen, initial coding test (remote or onsite), full day gauntlet (onsite). Went well at the beginning, with friendly and engaged interviewers, until the last interviewer of my onsite day was unavailable and got replaced by someone who obviously didn't care. Otherwise, surprisingly not as culty as expected.

Interview Questions

• Write a C function to merge two sorted linked lists   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was interviewed by a new graduate out of school who did not seem interested in interviewing me. There was no consideration given to my experience to match me with an appropriate role by the recruiter or the interviewer. Overall, not a good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted my a recruiter on Linkedin in March. The recruiter stopped responding and after I received another offerin May, the recruiter was interested again.
    The reason contact discontinued was because they were looking for senior level engineers. (Not a good reason for such a large company).
    Phone interview was set for 2 weeks after initial contact in May. Feedback after the interview was to have another phone screen because I was given too many hints, I got maybe 2 hints that were not helpful and misleading.

I decided to go with my other offer and did not bother to continue with the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through referral. Took a week to schedule the phone screen. The interviewer asked about my projects for first 5-6 minutes. Then, I was given two problems to solve in 40 minutes. I didn't do very well to solve them. Got notification of rejection after 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Print all permutations of a given string.   Answer Question
    • Given a 2D array of characters ('-' , 'X' , 'R' , 'T'), find out whether there is a path from the robot 'R' to the target 'T'. The robot can move up, down, left or right. Cells marked with 'X' are blocked and cannot be passed through.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was an onsite final round interview. The actual interview was only 45 minutes. I would recommend rescheduling this to just a phone interview since it is very exhausting to fly in and out.

Interview Questions

• Give tasks of diferrent kinds and a cooldown time. Tasks of same kind must be separated by at least cooldown time to executed.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by technical recruiter, she talked nice, got all the information from me and passed on the information to another recruiter, she contacted and scheduled the interview after two weeks.
    Got the call from the technical team member on the said date, after the formal introduction we got into the coding interview. Interview wasn't tough if you prepare well (know DS and Algorithms and tons of coding practice).

Right from the recruiter upto the technical staff they are very cool and I really like they way how they keep things professionally and how they handled the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Cannot tell you the question cos of NDA.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Facebook recruiter via LinkedIn and within a few days had non-technical 30 minute phone interview, after which we scheduled a first technical interview that could be done in person or over the phone. Since I live in the area I opted to do it in person at the Menlo Park facility. The recruiter supplied me with links to several sources of preparation materials, and asked for dates which I might be ready for my first technical interview. I opted for a date two weeks from the phone screening.

On the day of the interview I was greeted at Facebook by the recruiter, who showed me around the campus, which consists of 16+ buildings and has lots of amenities. The recruiter brought me to a small meeting room with two whiteboards and a few minutes later the interviewer showed up, accompanied by an observer. The first thing they did was ask me about any current projects I'm working on, and about the tech stack I use. After talking about that for a few minutes they presented me with a coding problem, which I could do in a language of my choice.

I have not done many of the typical coding challenge problems you might see on LeetCode or similar sites. I was relying on experience and my ability to work through a problem. I read somewhere that interviewers care more about how you approach a problem than how well you can churn out memorized material, so I thought I'd be better off focusing on my overall approach and communication skills. In that regard I think I did well but after reading some other reviews, perhaps I worked too slowly and could have benefitted from doing more of those more academic coding exercises. I was given one problem and took the whole 45ish minutes to do it. I started with a very general conceptual solution done visually, and then wrote it up as executable code, while addressing bug and ways it could be made more efficient. Afterwards I was asked to execute the solution on the whiteboard as if I were an interpreter running the code, noting intermediate values and output.

I did not find the problem very difficult but I wanted to make sure I stayed engaged with the interviewer and talk out the solution while working on it, which is not how I typically code on my own.

Interview Questions

• Do an in-place (without allocating any extra memory) rearrangement of a list of integers, putting non-zero elements first.   3 Answers
    • Do you have any questions for us?   2 Answers