Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

3.2

973 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard computer science/algorithms phone screen interview.

I've been a few years in my current job, and I have decided to try the job market again. My resume is impressive, I haven't padded it in any way, I've led software projects to release on time, and I'm finding it easy to get as far as phone screens, but no further.

This isn't a criticism of Facebook itself, rather of the whole Bay Area software engineering scene - since the last time I went for interviews, there seems to be a much bigger focus on getting the initial computer science/algorithms questions correct on the first go. Miss an edge case that the interviewer brings up, you're toast. Misplace a < instead of <= in an iteration, you're toast even if you find it yourself. Take longer than 20 minutes per question, you're toast. Try to recreate from first principles an algorithm you haven't thought about since you graduated, or never, ever used in your work, you're toast.

I've interviewed many people in my current job, and never regretted recommending employment to any of them. Every single one of the people I've recommended have made mistakes in their coding tests, and every one of them managed to find the errors when I pointed out that they had made a mistake. Perhaps I have lower standards, but when I interview, I look for how the interviewee recovers from a mistake, not that they are able to regurgitate something they learned from reading over Glassdoor interview questions.

Or maybe I just come across badly on the phone. Hard to say.

To recreate the process, go to leetcode and try some of the medium/hard exercises. If you can't complete it in under 20 minutes, and you have to redo some work to cover all the edge cases on submitting the solution, you can be sure that in an interview employers will thank you for applying, praise you for your impressive resume, and tell you no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Variation of standard algorithm question. Corrected code on being given edge case. Took 25 minutes to get satisfactory answer - probably too long for the interviewer.   3 Answers
    • Second question was a dynamic program question - I knew how to find the solution but hadn't even thought of the algorithm for several years. Was unable to complete the solution in the remaining 20 minutes.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Referred by someone at New York headquarter. Phone interview at the first round. Need to code and run online judge after the code has been completed. Have not heard from the feedback yet after 1 day.

Interview Questions

• Return the sum of node values at each level of binary tree   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

One Phone Interview. Three questions. Leetcode Medium level.

Then onsite after two weeks. 4 rounds of whiteboard interviews. Interviewers we pretty chill. One leetcode easy and other questions were of leetcode hard level. Screwed up the easy question (brain freeze I guess). Managed the hard questions with the best possible complexity but missed a few edge cases and some silly mistakes that could have been avoided. I guess they look for a complete working solution with the best time complexity. Got a generic reject mail within 2 weeks.

Overall a positive experience !

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by an HR, she was very kind to talk to and provided enough material to prepare for the entire interview process starting with phone screen.

Phone interview lasted EXACTLY 45 mins.

Interviewer called me. Started with a brief intro about himself and then asked about my background. I took around 3 mins to give brief intro about my experience and I felt he was least interested in hearing i, I can say that b'coz I felt he was trying to stop me and jump to coding question. He didn't even comment anything about my experience, felt as if he is just following the protocol to get done with the interview.

He asked me 1st question, I was able to solve it in 20 mins with optimal solution. Although no comment here from him whether as per him it is okay or not. Neither he asked me the run time complexity of the solution which was O(n).

He then just jumped to another question. I took remaining of my time trying to get to the proper solution, but I think I was in the right direction b'coz I researched about that question after the interview.

After couple of days I get a phone call from HR saying the feedback was not +ve. Interviewer felt my coding solutions were not optimal. I was shocked to hear this. Firstly, I solved 1 out of 2 questions properly and I didn't hear any feedback from hi while I solved the problem during the interview. If he thought it was not optimal, what made him jump to second question ?. He didn't even ask me complexity or at least he could have said "there can be much better solution can you think further ?". No feedback at all.

As per the research I did and videos I saw, I guess FB interviewer tries to see your approach if it is not an optimal solution.

In the end he was like "I only have time for 1 question to answer if you have any, or else I will be kicked out of this room". These were his words.

I was like REALLY???. Company like Facebook doesn't have enough meeting/Interview rooms or do they reserve the room for exactly 45 mins when an interview is scheduled ?. I never felt comfortable during this interview, I felt I was rushed into it.

I couldn't do much when I got the call from HR but I expressed my side of the story to the her.

Interview Questions

• A message containing letters from A-Z is being encoded to numbers using the following mapping:

'A' -> 1
      'B' -> 2
      ...
      'Z' -> 26
      Given an encoded message containing digits, determine the total number of ways to decode it.

For example,
      Given encoded message "12", it could be decoded as "AB" (1 2) or "L" (12).   2 Answers
    • Given an array of integers, return true if there are contiguous numbers such that they add up to a specific target.

For eg: [6,1,2,3,3,7] target sum is 8, will return true because 2,3,3 adds up to 8 and are contiguous.

[6,1,2,4,3,3,7] will return false as there are no contiguous elements which adds up to 8.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a few chats with the recruiter, mostly because I kept dropping off. Recruiter was nice and seemed generally enthusiastic. I finally scheduled a phone screen in July 2017. Completed the exercise on collabedit. I completed in the time allotted, with about 8 minutes to spare. Gave correct runtime and functional, correct code. Interviewer was skeptical it worked, but after walking through it he decided it worked and said I did pretty well. I was not moved forward to an onsite. I was not given any feedback on my performance. I have no idea what went wrong. This is the second time I did a phone screen with FB and this is exactly what happened before.

Interview Questions

• Remove unbalanced parenthesis from a string. Give Runtime, space.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Typical process. Two phone interviews, one onsite interview. Finally rejected after onsite interview. Facebook recruiters seem to act very respectful until they want a candidate. Once they do not need a candidate anymore, recruiters are not responsive. Travelled all the way to PaloAlto for onsite interview. I felt like I did well .But five days after the interview, I myself had to follow up with recruiter for decision. Then recruiter emailed me saying that she has an update and she asked me free time for taking a phone call the next day. I was eagerly waiting and there was no call from her. I had to remind her the next day to call me. Then the recruiter called and said its a reject. I asked for feedback and she says there is no feedback and its just overall evaluation. Actually, I was told by the recruiter that facebook would give feedback on interviews but it was completely opposite after the onsite interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

Traditional interview process, phone + onsite. I was declined after the phone part although I've provided right solutions for both questions. I guess when you are interviewed by the fresh grad those guys/gals treat interview as some kind of test where you should write an answer without any minor mistakes and testing.

Easy questions, not sure why I was declined.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, move all zeroes to the right.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of persons and a function knows(I,j) which returns true if person I knows person j, find a celebrity person defined as: person doesn't know anybody else and everybody else knows him.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The process took 6+ weeks from initial phone screen to onsite interview. The interview is average as the questions can be well guessed by doing leetcode medium & hard problems.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode 1) Profit-Loss (1 buy sell) 2) Profit-Loss (unlimited buy sell with transaction fee)   1 Answer
    • Leetcode : Decode ways (a=1, b=2 .. z=26), decode '1123' ...   1 Answer
    • Phonescreen : Leetcode 3sum   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, first we had a call so they get to know me, then I sent my resume and my phone number and we scheduled a phone technical interview with one of facebook engineers, i asked for two weeks to prepare myself.

Recruiter sent me preparation material, including videos , posts, and some tips
    They want you to be at your best, and they want you to know what to expect so you can be ready with no surprises, also you can contact them in case you have any question.

when the day of the interview arrived i wasn't completely ready and i got really really nervious.
    for some reason i couldn't receive the call on my cell phone so i got it on my home phone, with de phone between my ear and shoulder.

i live in mexico so i'm not really used to speak english a lot, the first 3 minutes i was catching the conversation like 2 or 3 seconds later, but it's ok for you to ask your interviewer to slow down a little . if it's not your first language it could be useful to start speaking english around 10 minutes before your interview

So the interview began straight to the technical questions, i leave the questions in the questions section, we shared a web editor named code pad, you can choose whatever language you code best in.

in the first question i had some mistakes and then i realized it was incomplete,
    actually i came with a good solution for both questions some minutes after the interview was already over.

if you are really used to some IDE that points out when you are not using some variable or have a syntax error it could be useful to use a simple notepad a few days before.

the second question was easier than the first one but i failed to come up with a good solution in terms of time complexity

we discuss each solution as i was coding, my interviewer pointed me a couple of cases i wasn't expecting, after the first question i knew i didn't make it because i was performing poorly.

then in the final part I could ask a couple of questions to my interviewer , so i had an insight on how is a common day working for facebook, and i really liked what i heard, it seems to be a great company to work for.

they gave me feedback by email the very same day of the interview

Interview Questions

• having a fuction that return chunks of 1024 Mb create a function that fetch any number of Mb, this function must call the fetch 1024 function one or more times to get all the chunks necesary   1 Answer