Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Berkeley, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

oc interview i didn't take long before they reached out to me after the career fair on campus. the interview question is very hard compared to other interviews I have done before.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got the interview from LinkedIn recruiter contact. Got a very coding question during the phone interview. I was able to get the solution but not able to get the optimal solution.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview:Very tricky question. Unless you have seen it before, it is very difficult to figure out the most efficient solution in 30 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Stage one was a phone screen, clearly intended to give them a feel for whether I can think on my feet or not.

Then, a full day of interviews in the office - mixture of coding and culture fit interviews, where the culture fit interviews were done by underrepresented groups, and the coding interviews were mixed. Again, very clear that the goal was to get me a chance to sink or swim on my own merits.

Coding interviews were split between coding on laptop and coding on whiteboard, to give me a chance to come back if I can't code on a whiteboard.

That came back unsure, so I came in for one last interview session.

Interview Questions

• Find the third element of a tree.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Cambridge, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Recruiter on campus at Ivy League school, I decided to interview anyways despite never having programmed before (but having taken graduate level physics courses). Interviewer was nice and said they would ask me easier questions since I had never programmed before.

Interview Questions

• Something involving sorting.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and quickly received a schedule for a phone technical interview. Got onto a coderpad.io call with an engineer. I'm bad at technical interviews, so it was a grueling thirty minutes of him helping me through the problem. Got an email within a few days saying I would not move ahead.

Interview Questions

• If A = 1, B = 2, etc., Z = 26, output all the possible combinations of a string of numbers (ie. 123 could be "abc" or "ic" or "ap"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Process was extremely straight forward and everyone I dealt with was very friendly. I did a phone screen and then was flown to HQ to meet with engineers to have my skills tested.

Interview Questions

• Various programming questions   1 Answer

I was in a unique situation where Facebook was also looking to acquire software I had made. I was hoping for more than just a salary/job offer, so ultimately those negotiations broke down and I wasn't interested in just a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Had a chat on the phone and decided to mutually move ahead. The first round was a basic phone round with a software engineer ( nothing too difficult ). Cleared it and came onsite. As known, the pattern onsite is one behavioral interview with a coding question followed by 2 coding interviews and 1 design interview.

Will not disclose the onsite questions due to NDA.
    The behavioral interview person was yawning throughout the 40 minutes and the coding interview question asked at the end of the behavioral interview was one of those questions which you either know/ don't know. I was expected to know the solution and code it in 10 minutes which pretty much negated the problem solving aspect of it.

The 2 coding round questions were pretty standard. However, one of the questions was a text book question and I stated that I knew the solution to that question following which the question asked was way too tough to be solved in 25 minutes on the white board.

Similarly the design interview involved a lot of math and was more difficult than coming up with an architecture . This had been informed prior to the interview though.

Overall : The interview experience was mixed probably because most of the questions seemed to be the type of questions that one would/ wouldn't know. There was very little problem solving aspect to the whole process and sadly that is pretty much the case with some interviews for tech companies

Interview Questions

• Phone round question
      Given 2 strings, write a function to check if the two words are one edit away from each other.
      i.e one word can be formed from another by inserting/ deleting / replacing one character

Valid Examples :
      car , cas
      car, card

Invalid Examples :
      car, caert
      7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Everyone was edgy when I started seeing people at Facebook, including the receptionists. Granted, job interviews tend to be critical, and we are the people who seemed to be begging for the highly-lucrative job positions.

Then I saw this lady, who gave no self-introduction, no facial interaction, had only super-sharp look or pretended to be, who led me through these cold stairs, picked up a drink, and up to this tiny room, then started asking me questions.

God bless her, turned out she was a software engineer, and may be the domain expert in my field.

OK, so let's move on to programming, by which time I became edgy, too, knowing this lady sitting right behind me, feeling her freezing eyes examining up and down my neck, maybe my hair, too (I am a man). Did she notice my white hair as well?

Anyway, the interview was quick (less than an hour), and I was let go. I knew there won't be any followup. Even if it does, am I willing to experience it again?

What a fast way to ruin a day-off.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come to Facebook?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions

• Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Phone screen, Excel test, phone interview, skype interviews, 30 page assignment, flew out for on-site interviews, more phone interviews, flew out again for on-site interviews.

They put me through the ringer before they hired me. But the questions were relevant and the people I met were great. This was back in their Palo Alto offices though.

Interview Questions

• Pre-IPO, they asked me to write a paper on the valuation of Facebook. They also asked me what I thought the greatest technological advancement was in the past 20 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They sold me on the equity. I didn't negotiate.