Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

3.2

967 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

Traditional interview process, phone + onsite. I was declined after the phone part although I've provided right solutions for both questions. I guess when you are interviewed by the fresh grad those guys/gals treat interview as some kind of test where you should write an answer without any minor mistakes and testing.

Easy questions, not sure why I was declined.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, move all zeroes to the right.   1 Answer
  • Given a list of persons and a function knows(I,j) which returns true if person I knows person j, find a celebrity person defined as: person doesn't know anybody else and everybody else knows him.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had a few chats with the recruiter, mostly because I kept dropping off. Recruiter was nice and seemed generally enthusiastic. I finally scheduled a phone screen in July 2017. Completed the exercise on collabedit. I completed in the time allotted, with about 8 minutes to spare. Gave correct runtime and functional, correct code. Interviewer was skeptical it worked, but after walking through it he decided it worked and said I did pretty well. I was not moved forward to an onsite. I was not given any feedback on my performance. I have no idea what went wrong. This is the second time I did a phone screen with FB and this is exactly what happened before.

Interview Questions

• Remove unbalanced parenthesis from a string. Give Runtime, space.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in April 2016.

Interview

Two online calls following by a full dat interview.
    The people I was in contact with were very laid back and respectful.
    The process was actually very interesting and inspiring.
    And when they got back with a no it was fast and very transparent.

Interview Questions

• Assume you are given a series of lines. each with a start point and an end point.
      Please find the maximal overlap between lines.
      Take into account the situation where one line ends and another begins
      Please code it!
      Try to do it efficiently space wise and runtime wise.
      What are the O space and time complexities?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me to see if I was interested in applying to Facebook. They had me do a phone screen, which is 45 minutes long. The interview was pretty strange. I could hear the interviewer yawning throughout the interview. The question was formatted strangely. He phrased in his preferred language, which was C++, but I had to translate what he wanted me to do into whatever language I was using for the interview. Towards the end of the interview he assured me that he was happy with the solution, and that I would be able to code it in my language of choice. A few days later I received a rejection from the recruiter. All in all, pretty happy to get the rejection since the FB phone screen alone raised a bunch of red flags for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

One Phone Interview. Three questions. Leetcode Medium level.

Then onsite after two weeks. 4 rounds of whiteboard interviews. Interviewers we pretty chill. One leetcode easy and other questions were of leetcode hard level. Screwed up the easy question (brain freeze I guess). Managed the hard questions with the best possible complexity but missed a few edge cases and some silly mistakes that could have been avoided. I guess they look for a complete working solution with the best time complexity. Got a generic reject mail within 2 weeks.

Overall a positive experience !

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who sent me information and when I was ready could schedule my first phone interview. They are overbooked on interviews so it took 2 weeks to get one scheduled. They use coderpad+ a phone call and it is straight to business on a couple coding problems, there was no discussion of my resume, experience, goals etc. If the interview isn't a solid positive but not bad either, you might have to do a second one, same as first, same 2 weeks to get rescheduled, different interviewer and question.

The interviewers are randomly assigned from different teams, it seems to be pretty hit or miss there is little feedback from the interviewer on what they are looking for from you. They just say thanks and that you'll hear from the recruiter afterwards. I was told it would be pretty much a same day response but it took a week to hear back each time. The first time the feedback was that there was no issue with the solution but the interviewer wanted a more vocal, step by step explanation while writing it. He did not say so during the interview though. The second interviewer seemed confused about a recursive solution and asked to have it redone as iterative despite there being no differences performance wise and his final feedback was that the second problem did not have a full solution despite him explicitely saying during the interview that since his request for a iterative solution took up more time that I should not write the code for the second problem, just vocally describe it . Both interviewers did not seem very engaged in the interview so I suppose the take away here is to always be as explicit and vocal about your solutions and try to get the interviewer to tell you definitively what they want because otherwise they just mostly quiet and you only find out afterwards when it is too late.

The actual difficulty of the problems seem on the easy side, you need to be able to explain the Big O if your solutions but none of the ones I had involved any complicated tricks.

Interview Questions

• Take an array of numbers, find the fastest way to sort it so that all 0's in the array are moved to the right side modifying the existing array in place   1 Answer
    • Given an array of numbers, find if there is any consecutive series that sums to a specific value   Answer Question
    • Given a list of stock prices in historic order, find which dates to make two cycles of buy/sell would have yielded the highest profits   1 Answer
    • Given a map between digits and a string, take a number and convert it to its string value   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A recruiter had contacted me in the past, I decided to go ahead with the process now. Had first technical screening interview, I opted to do at Menlo Park office instead of phone. It was purely data structures and algorithms. He gave some hints which I did not take in first go but I did understand and solved the problem, so he gave mixed feedback, I was asked for another screening. Did it again at Menlo Park office. It went very well and I was invited for onsite. During onsite had 4 interviews, 2 coding, 1 behavioral + small code and 1 system design. At the end of system design, the interviewer said Good job. I did pretty well in the coding rounds too, Each coding round, I could solve two problems which is a good sign as per whatever I had heard from friends. But, I did end up getting rejected. Well, rejection is a part of interview process but the frustrating part was the feedback. Recruiter said unfortunately we cannot proceed with the offer as your system design did not go well. I was shocked and realized from the other glassdoor reviews I had read that it is the standard response they give because it is an open ended question. My coding rounds went very good so she couldn't say those were the bad ones. I told the recruiter that it is contradictory to what happened and she had nothing to say except for - we will ask our engineers to not give any verbal feedback. What the hell!!! Is this what you expect from companies like Facebook. Don't waste your time interviewing here if you don't have relevant work experience (I don't have that). They will reject you with system design feedback. Crap!!

Interview Questions

• Leetcode questions, same ones which people already mentioned in other glassdoor reviews   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First I was asked standard non technical questions. That was for 10 mins. Next I was given a coding question. After solving that one another harder question was asked.
    The interviewer was were very helpful and nice to talk to, unlike other places I have interviewed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

Was contacted by a Facebook recruiter on Linked In for my expertise in Android. We conversed on and off over a few weeks as I am on business travel a lot, and he was able to setup a phone-based technical interview for me that met my scheduling needs. This recruiter was incredibly professional and interpersonal, provided plenty of prep resources, and made me feel like he was really rooting for me. Awesome!

Technical phone interview went poorly. The interviewer introduced himself and immediately asked me a very vague Android question. I feel that I handled my responses very well in an attempt to narrow down what he may be fishing for while demonstrating myself to be adept with Android. Yet I was given very little positive feedback, and he seemed to ask the same question several more times. Apparently, I have no clue what he was asking. At this point, I felt like an item on his to-do list.

He denied the compile and run time capabilities of coderpad, making for a much more theoretical text-only based environment. So the solution would have to be proven to work via tracing it, which wastes time and renders coderpad pointless in my opinion.

It was difficult enough for me to understand the thick accent that it turned me off to asking clarifying questions during the coding problem. Instead, I felt that I had to voice every thought, which did not allow me to think more deliberately. I became a bit flustered and floundered for a moment, despite the question being relatively simple. I recognized this, and had prepared for it by having a white board at the ready. I requested to have a moment to collect my thoughts and draw on my board quick. I am a visual person and there are things that are just more easily drawn than typed out. He declined, telling me to stick to the editor.

At this point, it was game over. Typing my thoughts in the editor was making a mess as I traced my logic over the examples because the cursor was jumping all over. I believe this was because the editor was technically set to Java, and I should have made a comment block around his question and my typing. I also was not allowed to create a runnable Java class to put my code in. So I was cut off before long.

I tried to exchange some more pleasantries but he was clearly done. In any case, I had asked him why he chose Facebook and I got a dissatisfying answer. I would gander a guess that he was not nearly as stoked about the mission and impact of Facebook as I am, and I don't even work there!

I think I had most of the main working principles and demonstrated that I could code Java, but the solution was not complete. (To be honest, I think I suffered a small panic attack.) It does not matter if you invented a robot that defeats the Turing Test, the technical interviewer may not care to even read your resume and will shut you down if you do not perform flawlessly. With these tech giants, you won't be hired without a perfect performance.

The recruiter sent me a canned rejection two days later with no response to my reply. I completely understand and respect the decision to be cutoff. But I feel like it took two to make this a waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Balance a string with parentheses. "a(b)" -> "a(b)"; "(((((" -> ""; "(()())" -> "(()())"; ")ab(()" -> "ab()"; etc...   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a letter from the recruiter in a few days, after I applied. Two days later there was a phone interview. The recruiter showed no interest and asked me to wait until she read my resume. She asked me just one question: "tell me about yourself", after that I received a verbal refusal. There was no technical questions nor what I'm interested in. "Unfortunately, now we are looking for people with 3-4 years of work experience". A few days later I received a letter of refusal. I did not expect such unprofessional behavior from Facebook