Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 21, 2017

3.2

978 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The process took 6+ weeks from initial phone screen to onsite interview. The interview is average as the questions can be well guessed by doing leetcode medium & hard problems.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode 1) Profit-Loss (1 buy sell) 2) Profit-Loss (unlimited buy sell with transaction fee)   1 Answer
  • Leetcode : Decode ways (a=1, b=2 .. z=26), decode '1123' ...   1 Answer
  • Phonescreen : Leetcode 3sum   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, first we had a call so they get to know me, then I sent my resume and my phone number and we scheduled a phone technical interview with one of facebook engineers, i asked for two weeks to prepare myself.

Recruiter sent me preparation material, including videos , posts, and some tips
    They want you to be at your best, and they want you to know what to expect so you can be ready with no surprises, also you can contact them in case you have any question.

when the day of the interview arrived i wasn't completely ready and i got really really nervious.
    for some reason i couldn't receive the call on my cell phone so i got it on my home phone, with de phone between my ear and shoulder.

i live in mexico so i'm not really used to speak english a lot, the first 3 minutes i was catching the conversation like 2 or 3 seconds later, but it's ok for you to ask your interviewer to slow down a little . if it's not your first language it could be useful to start speaking english around 10 minutes before your interview

So the interview began straight to the technical questions, i leave the questions in the questions section, we shared a web editor named code pad, you can choose whatever language you code best in.

in the first question i had some mistakes and then i realized it was incomplete,
    actually i came with a good solution for both questions some minutes after the interview was already over.

if you are really used to some IDE that points out when you are not using some variable or have a syntax error it could be useful to use a simple notepad a few days before.

the second question was easier than the first one but i failed to come up with a good solution in terms of time complexity

we discuss each solution as i was coding, my interviewer pointed me a couple of cases i wasn't expecting, after the first question i knew i didn't make it because i was performing poorly.

then in the final part I could ask a couple of questions to my interviewer , so i had an insight on how is a common day working for facebook, and i really liked what i heard, it seems to be a great company to work for.

they gave me feedback by email the very same day of the interview

Interview Questions

• having a fuction that return chunks of 1024 Mb create a function that fetch any number of Mb, this function must call the fetch 1024 function one or more times to get all the chunks necesary   1 Answer
    • create a function that receives a string and verify if it is palindrom, you should filter spaces and special chars   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2017.

Interview

Traditional interview process, phone + onsite. I was declined after the phone part although I've provided right solutions for both questions. I guess when you are interviewed by the fresh grad those guys/gals treat interview as some kind of test where you should write an answer without any minor mistakes and testing.

Easy questions, not sure why I was declined.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, move all zeroes to the right.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of persons and a function knows(I,j) which returns true if person I knows person j, find a celebrity person defined as: person doesn't know anybody else and everybody else knows him.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First I was asked standard non technical questions. That was for 10 mins. Next I was given a coding question. After solving that one another harder question was asked.
    The interviewer was were very helpful and nice to talk to, unlike other places I have interviewed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a Facebook recruiter on Linked In for my expertise in Android. We conversed on and off over a few weeks as I am on business travel a lot, and he was able to setup a phone-based technical interview for me that met my scheduling needs. This recruiter was incredibly professional and interpersonal, provided plenty of prep resources, and made me feel like he was really rooting for me. Awesome!

Technical phone interview went poorly. The interviewer introduced himself and immediately asked me a very vague Android question. I feel that I handled my responses very well in an attempt to narrow down what he may be fishing for while demonstrating myself to be adept with Android. Yet I was given very little positive feedback, and he seemed to ask the same question several more times. Apparently, I have no clue what he was asking. At this point, I felt like an item on his to-do list.

He denied the compile and run time capabilities of coderpad, making for a much more theoretical text-only based environment. So the solution would have to be proven to work via tracing it, which wastes time and renders coderpad pointless in my opinion.

It was difficult enough for me to understand the thick accent that it turned me off to asking clarifying questions during the coding problem. Instead, I felt that I had to voice every thought, which did not allow me to think more deliberately. I became a bit flustered and floundered for a moment, despite the question being relatively simple. I recognized this, and had prepared for it by having a white board at the ready. I requested to have a moment to collect my thoughts and draw on my board quick. I am a visual person and there are things that are just more easily drawn than typed out. He declined, telling me to stick to the editor.

At this point, it was game over. Typing my thoughts in the editor was making a mess as I traced my logic over the examples because the cursor was jumping all over. I believe this was because the editor was technically set to Java, and I should have made a comment block around his question and my typing. I also was not allowed to create a runnable Java class to put my code in. So I was cut off before long.

I tried to exchange some more pleasantries but he was clearly done. In any case, I had asked him why he chose Facebook and I got a dissatisfying answer. I would gander a guess that he was not nearly as stoked about the mission and impact of Facebook as I am, and I don't even work there!

I think I had most of the main working principles and demonstrated that I could code Java, but the solution was not complete. (To be honest, I think I suffered a small panic attack.) It does not matter if you invented a robot that defeats the Turing Test, the technical interviewer may not care to even read your resume and will shut you down if you do not perform flawlessly. With these tech giants, you won't be hired without a perfect performance.

The recruiter sent me a canned rejection two days later with no response to my reply. I completely understand and respect the decision to be cutoff. But I feel like it took two to make this a waste of everyone's time.

Interview Questions

• Balance a string with parentheses. "a(b)" -> "a(b)"; "(((((" -> ""; "(()())" -> "(()())"; ")ab(()" -> "ab()"; etc...   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

A recruiter contacted me to see if I was interested in applying to Facebook. They had me do a phone screen, which is 45 minutes long. The interview was pretty strange. I could hear the interviewer yawning throughout the interview. The question was formatted strangely. He phrased in his preferred language, which was C++, but I had to translate what he wanted me to do into whatever language I was using for the interview. Towards the end of the interview he assured me that he was happy with the solution, and that I would be able to code it in my language of choice. A few days later I received a rejection from the recruiter. All in all, pretty happy to get the rejection since the FB phone screen alone raised a bunch of red flags for me.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

4 hour onsite interview after doing two, 45 minute phone interviews. None of the questions were incredibly hard, and were able to be solved within 30-45 minutes if you are well brushed up on your data structures and common algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Unable to disclose due to signing NDA   1 Answer

Application

Interview

A recruiter had contacted me in the past, I decided to go ahead with the process now. Had first technical screening interview, I opted to do at Menlo Park office instead of phone. It was purely data structures and algorithms. He gave some hints which I did not take in first go but I did understand and solved the problem, so he gave mixed feedback, I was asked for another screening. Did it again at Menlo Park office. It went very well and I was invited for onsite. During onsite had 4 interviews, 2 coding, 1 behavioral + small code and 1 system design. At the end of system design, the interviewer said Good job. I did pretty well in the coding rounds too, Each coding round, I could solve two problems which is a good sign as per whatever I had heard from friends. But, I did end up getting rejected. Well, rejection is a part of interview process but the frustrating part was the feedback. Recruiter said unfortunately we cannot proceed with the offer as your system design did not go well. I was shocked and realized from the other glassdoor reviews I had read that it is the standard response they give because it is an open ended question. My coding rounds went very good so she couldn't say those were the bad ones. I told the recruiter that it is contradictory to what happened and she had nothing to say except for - we will ask our engineers to not give any verbal feedback. What the hell!!! Is this what you expect from companies like Facebook. Don't waste your time interviewing here if you don't have relevant work experience (I don't have that). They will reject you with system design feedback. Crap!!

Interview Questions

• Leetcode questions, same ones which people already mentioned in other glassdoor reviews   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a letter from the recruiter in a few days, after I applied. Two days later there was a phone interview. The recruiter showed no interest and asked me to wait until she read my resume. She asked me just one question: "tell me about yourself", after that I received a verbal refusal. There was no technical questions nor what I'm interested in. "Unfortunately, now we are looking for people with 3-4 years of work experience". A few days later I received a letter of refusal. I did not expect such unprofessional behavior from Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screening with human resources, as a first assessment. Then first stage of phone coding interview using codepad focused on algorithmic question.The inteview lasts 45 minutes and you are presented with a problem immediately that you need to solve as fast as you can.

Interview Questions

• Given the alphabet encoded as numbers (e.g., a=1, b=2, ..., z=26), and a sequence of numbers (e.g., "23413259802"), how many strings can be generated.   16 Answers