Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through referral. Took a week to schedule the phone screen. The interviewer asked about my projects for first 5-6 minutes. Then, I was given two problems to solve in 40 minutes. I didn't do very well to solve them. Got notification of rejection after 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Print all permutations of a given string.   Answer Question
  • Given a 2D array of characters ('-' , 'X' , 'R' , 'T'), find out whether there is a path from the robot 'R' to the target 'T'. The robot can move up, down, left or right. Cells marked with 'X' are blocked and cannot be passed through.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer, Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was an onsite final round interview. The actual interview was only 45 minutes. I would recommend rescheduling this to just a phone interview since it is very exhausting to fly in and out.

Interview Questions

• Give tasks of diferrent kinds and a cooldown time. Tasks of same kind must be separated by at least cooldown time to executed.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by technical recruiter, she talked nice, got all the information from me and passed on the information to another recruiter, she contacted and scheduled the interview after two weeks.
    Got the call from the technical team member on the said date, after the formal introduction we got into the coding interview. Interview wasn't tough if you prepare well (know DS and Algorithms and tons of coding practice).

Right from the recruiter upto the technical staff they are very cool and I really like they way how they keep things professionally and how they handled the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Cannot tell you the question cos of NDA.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Facebook recruiter via LinkedIn and within a few days had non-technical 30 minute phone interview, after which we scheduled a first technical interview that could be done in person or over the phone. Since I live in the area I opted to do it in person at the Menlo Park facility. The recruiter supplied me with links to several sources of preparation materials, and asked for dates which I might be ready for my first technical interview. I opted for a date two weeks from the phone screening.

On the day of the interview I was greeted at Facebook by the recruiter, who showed me around the campus, which consists of 16+ buildings and has lots of amenities. The recruiter brought me to a small meeting room with two whiteboards and a few minutes later the interviewer showed up, accompanied by an observer. The first thing they did was ask me about any current projects I'm working on, and about the tech stack I use. After talking about that for a few minutes they presented me with a coding problem, which I could do in a language of my choice.

I have not done many of the typical coding challenge problems you might see on LeetCode or similar sites. I was relying on experience and my ability to work through a problem. I read somewhere that interviewers care more about how you approach a problem than how well you can churn out memorized material, so I thought I'd be better off focusing on my overall approach and communication skills. In that regard I think I did well but after reading some other reviews, perhaps I worked too slowly and could have benefitted from doing more of those more academic coding exercises. I was given one problem and took the whole 45ish minutes to do it. I started with a very general conceptual solution done visually, and then wrote it up as executable code, while addressing bug and ways it could be made more efficient. Afterwards I was asked to execute the solution on the whiteboard as if I were an interpreter running the code, noting intermediate values and output.

I did not find the problem very difficult but I wanted to make sure I stayed engaged with the interviewer and talk out the solution while working on it, which is not how I typically code on my own.

Interview Questions

• Do an in-place (without allocating any extra memory) rearrangement of a list of integers, putting non-zero elements first.   4 Answers
    • Do you have any questions for us?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me in LinkedIn and setup a phone interview. There were 2 persons on the phone call during the interview. First I was asked to talk about myself and a specific feature that I developed at my current work. Then I jumped onto the coding problem on coderpad. I didn't like the attitude or the vibe that I got from the interviewers (only one person was talking to me on the phone). At the end when I was asking questions about FB, he gave me a very generalized info and didn't really show any enthusiasm which right away made me figure out that he wasn't happy. Also during the interview, I think he wanted to give me a bit difficult challenge but he couldn't really explain to me clearly and hence I didn't understand what exactly he wanted. But on the other hand the recruiter was outstanding. She called me twice before the interview and reviewed the practice that I was doing for the interview. Even after the interview, she called me and explained to me the result and possible things which I could work on for next time.

Interview Questions

• Design and write code for a queue system which would include enqueue, dequeue, etc.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through the campus recruitment and received email to schedule the phone interview.
    The phone interview was technical:
    1 Question: Given an array of integers find the sum of k largest integers in that array.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had an initial phone screen, some easy tree type questions and array questions. Next got the on site, it consisted of 4 different interviews. One was a behavioral while the other 3 were algorithms. Quite tough

Interview Questions

• Medium level leetcode I would say   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Interview started almost one hour late. The guy did not even recognize the fact he is late needless to say anything else. The questions are easy and interviews do not seem to be very knowledgeable about what he does.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2017.

Interview

Application
    I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. Scheduled Telephonic interview

Interview
    Then first stage of phone coding interview using codepad focused on algorithmic question.
    Introduction
    gave problems to solve
    any Questions for interviewer

Interview Questions

• Given the alphabet encoded as numbers (e.g., a=1, b=2, ..., z=26), and a sequence of numbers (e.g., "23413259802"), how many strings can be generated.   2 Answers
    • Given Binary Tree is Binary Search tree or not.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2017.

Interview

Inside referral but got denied for multiple times without interview. Some months later, they just somehow remembered me and pop up and send me email appointing for a Skype interview. I am surprised they are trying to contact me with information on a years-old resume because I am sure I reapplied with the updated CV just some months ago. Interview is just programming online. Difficult as I expected. Few company come up with a DP problem at first interview. The engineer interviewing me kept asking me to change my algorithm. Managed to finish core algorithm, with potential bugs, and got denied (again) exactly 24 hours later.

Interview Questions

• A dynamic programming problem. Core algorithm is not very difficult but the input are extremely annoying, which are designed to cause problems in my opinion.   1 Answer