Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,036 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,036 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions

• Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Phone screen, Excel test, phone interview, skype interviews, 30 page assignment, flew out for on-site interviews, more phone interviews, flew out again for on-site interviews.

They put me through the ringer before they hired me. But the questions were relevant and the people I met were great. This was back in their Palo Alto offices though.

Interview Questions

• Pre-IPO, they asked me to write a paper on the valuation of Facebook. They also asked me what I thought the greatest technological advancement was in the past 20 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They sold me on the equity. I didn't negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

one technical interview on the phone

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

Sent in my resume and got a recruiter e-mail 2 days later.
    Had 2 initial on-site intervies in Seattle, then a full loop (4 interviews) in California, and 1 final interview.
    On my full loop one interviewer felt like I didn't do as well on the coding question and they asked me to do 1 more interview.
    Overall the recruiter kept in touch with me throughout the process.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Sourced through a friend who works there, really good communication and speed.

I totally bombed an initial on-site but then was able to get another one. Studied up for it, did a lot better and then went on-site for a full day.

Got to meet a lot of awesome engineers, guess I did okay since I got an offer and it was the best day of my life!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter via employee referral. Chose to go on site for initial interview. This was followed by onsite day of interviews a few weeks afterwards (I asked for some time to prepare for coding tests). The second set of interviews comprised of 2 coding tests, one design, one behavioral, lunch with hiring manager and one interview related to my technical specialization. Received offer within a week of final set of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Coding tests were the hardest part for me since I have been out of school for a long time now :) Prepare for questions related to trees, graphs, strings, dynamic programming and practice writing code on paper.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2012.

Interview

I got contacted by an HR. After some email traffic, I got a skype call with HR to discuss the interview process.
    I solved a puzzle at interviewstreet and they set up an appointment with the engineer at California.

Technical Phone interview lasted 30 mins. Interviewer was friendly but he immediately asked for live coding (in 6-7 mins). And because of he is Indian, it was very difficult to understand him as a not native English speaker.
    He asked for a technical question, wanted to optimize code, and then told me the interview is over.

Interview Questions

• You have a file consists of billions of records.
      It cannot fit into memory, so you need to reverse every word in that file and save to another file.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

The recruiter called up and asked me if I was interested in the job opportunity. The process began with solving a programming problem on InterviewStreet for which I was given 90 minutes to solve. This was followed by a 60 minute telephonic interview. After clearing these two rounds, I was invited onsite and I had to go through 3 face-to-face interviews. The problems were hard algorithmic problems and you are expected to write clean code in the first go. The interviewers were really friendly and helpful. My advice would be that you have confidence in yourself and be as honest in an interview as possible. For practice, you should be well versed with standard algorithmic techniques like dynamic programming, greedy algorithms, solving linear recurrences in logarithmic time, recursion, tree traversals, etc.

Interview Questions

• You are given an integer N and an integer M. You are supposed to write a method void findBestCoinsThatMinimizeAverage(int N, int M) that prints the best collection of N coins that minimize the average number of minimum coins needed to generate values from 1 to M. So, if M = 100, and N = 4, then if we use the set {1, 5, 10, 25} to generate each value from 1 to 100, so that for each value the number of coins are minimized, i.e. 1 = 1 (1 coin), 2 = 1 + 1 (2 coins),..., 6 = 1 + 5 (2 coins), ..., 24 = 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 (8 coins), and we take the average of these coins, we would see that the average comes out to ~5.7. But if we instead use {1, 5, 18, 25}, the average would come out to be 3.7. We are to find that set of N coins, and print them, that produce the minimum average.   8 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. If you have an offer, you can always negotiate. All the rules are meant to be broken but some are hard to break. It would be easy to ask for a higher relocation bonus but difficult to ask for 8 more paid leaves.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2011.

Interview

Hr contacted me and gave a timed skill test, through interviewstreet. I didn't like to code in that website nor coding a timed test. basically they don't know how long its going to take and they give very less time.They don't tell that u can pause or come again etc.. in my opinion FB is over hyped good place to work move on to other good companies ;)

Interview Questions

• given a list of words with a same size and a big string that contains one of the permutation of all the words combined(say p), find the startindex of the string p in the big string   6 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2010.

Interview

The HR made a background check in the first phone interview, and asked me to do the puzzle. After submitting the puzzle, here comes a phone interview with technical questions. And the most difficult on site interview.