Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,098 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,098 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

One on-campus interview, followed by one onsite technical interview. Recruiter worked with me very well, though I wish that there had been more interviews while onsite. My interviewer was a few minutes late, but worked well with me throughout the problem.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

It was overall a pretty negative experience. The recruiter initially reached out to me to initiate the interview process, but took around a month to actually respond and set up a time.

When it finally set up, I got an interviewer with a thick accent and was hard to understand. It was clear he wasn't prepared and asked me basic information about my self (basic level of education etc.) I got one behavioural question which was pretty straightforward. But then the coding part began.

The interviewer didn't engage throughout the entire question, even when I was asking those initial clarification questions. I felt like I was talking to myself. At certain points when I explained my strategy before coding, he dismissed me and told me to code and forget about describing my thought process. It seemed like all Facebook was looking for was code monkeys. Needless to say, not a company that I would now want to work for.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you did recently (and follow up questions related to that)   Answer Question
    • You have two strings representing large ints that cannot be parsed into ints. How do you find their product.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I received an email from a Facebook HR to schedule a phone interview. She reached out to me after 4 weeks and we set up a time in 2 weeks time. I had to withdraw my application one week after the interview because I had an offer from another company. And the recruiter there refuses to extend the deadline.

Interview Questions

• The question is very straightforward, return connected groups in the graph. But you need to figure out what input type you should take in   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

On-campus interview at my university, then an on-site interview at Facebook's headquarters in Menlo Park. Interviews were focused on algorithms and data structures. Full process consisted of three coding interviews and one behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How to space-efficiently store a binary tree in an array, and then how to extract the binary tree from its array representation.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you handled a disagreement at a past job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter. Got the prep materials. Studied for the screen. Took the screen and apparently didn't do well since they never contacted me with results one way or the other ...

Interview Questions

• Basic question was about how to flatten out a tree into a linked list and then some other permutations of that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Emailed recruiter who forwarded me to the university grad recruiter for my region. We scheduled a phone interview for about a month later. Phone interview questions were relatively easy but I screwed up the first one and sort of panicked, so he let me do a second.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Chatted with recruiter to see if was a reasonable fit. I have lots of experience in SV, so we decided to do a phone screen next. Since I'm local to FB HQ, they gave me the option of going onsite instead, which I did.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Did a phone screen, then a full-day interview loop, then was asked to do *another* phone screen. I had a great on-site (probably one of the best of my career; I got the correct answer to *every question* with time to spare), but it didn't matter: second phone screen was a disaster. The call was delayed due to a technical problem, the guy barely spoke english, and he was annoyed from the start. I got the DYHQFM early-end-of-interview signal despite writing a correct solution, and was rejected shortly thereafter.

Overall, Facebook's interview process is marginally more humane than the other big players, but just as idiotic and random. Solving the problems and correctly writing them on a whiteboard whilst singing and dancing is insufficient -- if you make *any* mistakes, you will fail. If an interviewer is having a bad day, you will fail. If an interviewer doesn't feel like doing interviews today, you will fail. If someone feels like failing you because you're too old or not wearing a hoodie or they don't like your voice, you will fail.

The recruiters will tell you all sorts of nonsense about how people are looking for "how you think" and that they understand that candidates are nervous and blah, blah blah...these are lies. It's random, and it's biased strongly toward failure. You're probably going to fail, regardless of performance. Basically, if you're demonstrably a really good engineer, flip a coin seven times. If you get all heads, you get a job. Otherwise, you fail.

I'm tired of hearing Facebook complain about not being able to find qualified people. They probably reject more great engineers for random reasons in a single day than most companies see in a year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Did a phone screen with them. The interviewer gave me a task which I already knew the solution for at first (find two elements in an integer array which sum up to a given number). When I pointed out that I know the solution to the problem, he gave me another one: to determine if a sequence of numbers is monotonic (i.e. ascending or non-descending). The interviewer didn't seem to understand the difference between non-decreasing and ascending sequences and it took a while to figure out the exact specification for the problem. The interviewer expected a straightforward solution which compares elements pairwise, but I came up with a more elegant one, which is based on calculating the pairwise difference and would require only a single array traversal. The interviewer didn't understand my solution and told me that he haven't seen this solution before and it wasn't the solution he was excepting. Eventually, he couldn't come up with an example where my code wouldn't work or a flaw in my reasoning.

I've got feedback that my solution wasn't the one the interview was expecting and therefore rejected.

Interview Questions

• Determine if a sequence of numbers is monotonic   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Referred by a current employee for a new grad software engineering position. Entire process took about 4 week from initial application to decision. Had one phone screen with basic programming problems. Received invitation for onsite interview.

Attended Facebook University Day. Had 3 back to back interviews with typical medium problems you'd see on LeetCode.

Didn't receive offer, but had a great time. Practice your LeetCode, but more importantly practice talking through the problems.