Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

It was a simple, straight to the point, a 15 minute part "about you" section, 30 minutes coding question on coderpad, and about 5-10 minute questions at the end to ask the interviewer. They mainly wanted to see that you can program.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Write code to check if a BST is valid or not.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was my first phone interview. The interviewer started with introducing himself and in a minute we started our technical interview. Only one question was asked. After listening to my various approaches, he kept on adding more and more constraints.

Interview Questions

• If your are given an Integer Singly linked list. Print it backwards.
      Constraints: 1. Do not manipulate the list. (example: do not make it a doubly linked list, do not add or delete elements, do not change any memory location of any element)
      2. O(n) < time < O(n^2)
      3. O(1) < space < O(n)
      18 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Not writing because I didn't get any offer but they should consider these facts.

Facebook you better fix Coderpad before you interview candidates.

The first interview was pretty awesome, the interviewer was really great, helpful and responding to my questions all the time.

But the second interviewer was horrible even though he is so experienced was horrible. Not responding to my questions, not clear with what he is asking, for my every question he has one answer "Leave it as it is". I wasted almost 7-10 min in finding out why output getting printed twice, finally found out that due to coderpad issue, main function was invoking twice. I completed 3 parts of a program and when 3 min left for an interview to over he asked me again one more question to complete and coderpad on his side got hanged, I tried to explain my approach but still he said his golden words: "Leave it as it is". You should really consider these things before proceeding any candidate interview.

Interview Questions

• can't disclose as I signed NDA   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I gave them my resume at a on campus career fair. They gave me an on campus interview and after that flew me out to their Menlo Park campus for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers find a contiguous subset that sums to a given number   4 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First stage was phone-screening. After that, I was invited to an onsite interview at their headquarters, which was only a 45 minute 1-on-1 technical interview. The rest of the day, they took us on a tour of their campus and explained the internship to us.

Interview Questions

• Given a root note, confirm whether or not the given tree is a BST.   1 Answer
    • Given a schedule (array of start and end times) for meetings, provide an algorithm that finds the minimum number of rooms needed for the day.   1 Answer
    • Given a dictionary, store it in a way where you can implement a search function for a certain word. However, the words may have a character * that stands for any character.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

Two back to back 45 coding interviews. I was contacted by recruiter, and interview was setup for five days later. Practice doing mock interviews for behavioral portion, and know all your coding problems!

Interview Questions

• Implement iterator that increments over K sorted arrays in increasing order.   Answer Question
    • Number pad combinations problem.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Hiring process for interns is two technical phone interviews. The interviewer calls and gives you a coding question and you have to explain your solution as you type it into Coderpad. The interviewer can see everything as you type it. Be ready to think, explain, and type correct syntax on the fly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Facebook?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and offered a phone screen.
    The task was simple, I completed it, but didn't pass the screen. The feedback was --
    "Allocated an extra flag that wasn't needed". The flag was, actually, used, and needed.

So, they made up a reason to fail me. That is called prejudice.

Interview Questions

• Parse a string containing numbers and "+", "-" and parentheses. Evaluate the expression.
      -2+(3-5) should return -4.
      4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me in November, but I was busy and got back to her during mid-February with an updated resume. The recruiter then notified me they would like to move forward. The process is simple: at first there will be a technical interview for 45 minutes. If you ace that, then there will be another technical interview for 45 minutes. At this moment, if they think they are not sure, they sometimes take another technical interview.
    For me, it was two interviews (both phone). They were very technical, where you have to write code in coderpad. In both of the interviews, I was asked two questions each (can't disucss the questions here as I've signed an NDA). Both of my interviewers were very friendly, I felt like chatting with my friends and discussing some tricky problems. It was a very nice experience. I also think in addition to your solution, they also care about: (1) your communication skill (interacting with the interviewer); (2) your approach and thought process, i.e., how you arrived at the solution; (3) cleanliness and quality of your written code.
    Finally, as I am a PhD student, they had to match me with a specific team. So I had an additional team/host matching interview. It was less of an interview, and more of a chat about possible projects in the team that might suit my expertise/skill/interests. The host was very nice and friendly. The recruiter was very fast and professional as I expect from a company like Facebook. Although it was March (late for hiring summer interns), the whole process completed within a month!

Interview Questions

• Describe your project/patent that you have done when interning at X company?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

Initial interview with an HR employee was not great. The employee spent more time talking at me than asking me questions or having a conversation. I asked about Diversity efforts currently going on and was never given any information after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What programming languages are you comfortable with   1 Answer