Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Facebook

1,378 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Did three rounds of interviews.
First round: design a system to detect homeworking copying, which means input two strings and a integer K, if there is a common substring of them have length larger than K, return true, else return false.
Second round: nearly all behavior questions. In the last five minutes, asked me to code up a linked list reverse function
Third round: build a dictionary trie and implement search function, mainly focusing on the OO designing pattern.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with the conflict with colleagues   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Implement an asked simple function in an empty paper. Each type of variables (ex. int, double) and using conditional / iterative statement had to be chosen carefully to avoid a single mistake.
    Then typical personal questions came after the code interview.

Interview Questions

• Implementing a square root function   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Interview Questions

• 4 rounds onsite interviews. Not very difficult, need bug free. 45 mins each round, 5 mins break between them. People there are smart and nice. some resume questions, 1 to 2 coding problems each round   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Interview

One on campus interview and one onsite interview. The on campus interview takes 45 minutes, the interviewer will ask first about the resume and project experience and then the ask one or two technical problems. If pass the on campus interview. There will be notification for an onsite interview after one or two business day.

Interview Questions

• Find Minimum in Rotated Sorted Array
      Find the minimum element.
      Assume there is no duplicate exists in the array.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The whole process was very fast.

I have applied through the web site and got reply on a same day.

1. Screening with recruiter (15-20 mins)
    2. Phone interview with an engineer (45 mins)
    3. Onsite interview with 4 people (2 coding, 1 system design, 1 culture fit + coding)

Interview Questions

• I found system design question more difficult than others as I had no experience in designing large scalable systems.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

First round - Interview on campus. 45 minutes long. Half of the interview is your typical questions about your resume, what you know about the company, what you do. 2nd half is a coding question given by the interviewer.

2nd round - Pick your choice of location and do an interview there. I chose Menlo Park. Day consists of 4 interviews in the morning and a tour & culture overview in the afternoon. Of the 4 interviews 2 were almost purely coding questions. 1 was half and half. 1 was purely behavioral. Each interview lasts 45-50 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• If you could change something about Faceboook what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

1 Behavior/Past experience
    2 Ninja
    3 Lunch (not rated)
    4 Design
    5 Ninja

The behavior interview is about 1 hour, just talking about your past and current experience and projects you have done, plus a 15 mins coding test.

first Ninja is an opening question, essentially creating your own question based on a scenario and do some coding. My experience was really good so you have the flexibility to design questions you are familiar with.

Lunch was chat with a senior team lead, relax and get to know what you want to know.

Design was easy for me, since I have done a similar system at my current job.

the last ninja really sucked, the question is about a really unconventional event processing model using "pulling" instead of standard "push" model (like Storm), and the interviewer does not talk much and was not happy when I proposed the much simpler and intuitive push model. I failed on this one.

Interview Questions

• The second ninja (coding) test was about event processing system using pulling model, which literally no one in the industry is using.   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was referred by a friend.

Whole process took a week in a half - due to a pending deadline on my part.

I had a phone interview and was then invited onsite at the end of the week. The onsite interview was composed of 3 interviews. They were typical questions of any other technical interview questions - although slightly more tree-heavy than other companies.

On Monday I was contacted asking to provide references. I thought I had it in the bag because of this but Tuesday evening I was rejected.

I know that they were strong and wouldn't cause my rejection. So I guess references are asked for before the onsite interviews are processed?

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA so won't disclose the exact questions - but I'd practice up on tree traversals before interviewing   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Interview

I met the recruiter at a career fair. He was really helpful and scheduled me for an interview within the same week. I had a phone interview with one of the software engineers and was asked to code three technical problems. The first one was a list of anagrams and the other two were related to levelorder traversal of binary trees.

Interview Questions

• From a list of words create a list of buckets with anagrams in the same bucket   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

very friendly hiring and interview. The recruiter settled for a telephone interview. I said my English was not good and they allowed me to change it into a face to face interview at the campus.and then I passed the telephone interview but failed the onsite.