Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

I applied online through the Facebook website and heard back from HR within 2 weeks. After speaking with the recruiter, we setup a phone interview with one of the engineers. The phone interview was about 20 minutes long and consisted of 2 questions which were algorithmic in nature, one of which was reversing a linked list. I heard back from them about a week later and we setup a time for an on-site interview. I was alotted $1000USD for travel expenses to travel from Toronto, ON to Palo Alto, CA. The on-site interview lasted 4 hours and was split up into 1 hour interviews with a different engineer. The questions were mostly abstract, and language independent. Content of the questions varied from riddles to database design. My impression of the first three engineers was good, they seemed like nice guys, and knowledgeable. The last interviewer came off as pretentious, I felt as though he wanted me to fail -- just my opinion!

Overall, the office culture seemed relaxed and the problems they are solving there are interesting ones. I'd recommend interviewing with them if only for the chance to visit Palo Alto!

Interview Questions

• You have two lightbulbs and a 100-storey building. You want to find the floor at which the bulbs will break when dropped. Find the floor using the least number of drops.   35 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Phone screen that was mostly coding; onsite that was half coding, half behavioral.
    The phone screen interviewer was a little difficult to understand; fortunately I didn't have trouble understanding the coding question.
    The onsite interviewer was awesome. He made me feel completely at ease.

Interview Questions

• Why Facebook and a couple coding questions that I won't disclose.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

H.R contacts me and scheduled a phone screen pretty quick. Was expected some algorithm questions but did not really prepared much. Interviewer is quite friendly but being asked a question i never saw. Figured out a solution that does not work on all circumstance.

Still do not quite agree this type of algorithm only interview especially for guys with 5+ year experience and family/kids. Since these algorithm questions are not used during day to day work, it quite difficult to spend that much time to practice in leetcode.

Interview Questions

• leetcode regex isMatch() recursive   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Technical phone screen, short background on interviewer, myself, then tech question. Had a call with recruiter to go over the process. Had the opportunity to go to a CTCI class to prepare

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Got in through a referral. Fairly standard interview questions, mostly leetcode and CTCI will suffice as practice. Interview bit is also helpful. It was my first interview so I had a hard time trying to talk as well as code at the same time.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for Facebook   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was on skype call, first round with recruiter, second with Software engineer from California office, it lasted for fourty five minutes, first he introduced himself and then I did the same, told about my masters programme. then the interview happened through shared text editor link.

Interview Questions

• Generate square of array elements   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Santa Cruz, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, I was very confused as to what the interviewer was saying. I was called sharply on time, and was introduced by the guy who leads the mobile apps. His question to me was very confusing and I did not know exactly what he was asking me for, but as he explained through examples I got a good gist of what he was asking. This however, took a lot of time, and I lost a lot of time to do my test.

Interview Questions

• Clone a linked list with next and random pointer   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in December 2016.

Interview

1. HR interview - HR calls you and ask you questions about you and tell you about the process
    2. Phone screen - On a specific time you connect to a remote code panel, and code for around 35 min
    3. 4 interviews on-site - you have 3-4 Tech interviews and one Software Design (as a graduate you don't have this part)

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was my first phone interview. The interviewer started with introducing himself and in a minute we started our technical interview. Only one question was asked. After listening to my various approaches, he kept on adding more and more constraints.

Interview Questions

• If your are given an Integer Singly linked list. Print it backwards.
      Constraints: 1. Do not manipulate the list. (example: do not make it a doubly linked list, do not add or delete elements, do not change any memory location of any element)
      2. O(n) < time < O(n^2)
      3. O(1) < space < O(n)
      12 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and heard back a few months later for a phone screening. I was asked the Wildcard problem. Be sure to clarify the question. I had trouble understanding my interviewer and the didn't fully understand the question until I only had ten minutes left.

Interview Questions

See What Facebook Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

Pros: “They are mission and value oriented. They really stick true to their organizational framework and live by their values in day-by-day decisions. When you're here you can tell why...”“They are mission and value oriented. They really stick true to their organizational framework and live by their values in day-by-day decisions. When you're here you can tell why they're doing so well. They are transparent with everything - including weekly Q&A where employees can ask the CEO questions in an open floor format. The HR is goes far and beyond expectations over and over again. No doubt we are treated well in terms of compensation too. This package comes with the most important perk - it attracts other brilliant open minded individuals who want to make our society better.” – Full Review