Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I talked to some engineers when Facebook visited my college. About a month or two later, I received an email from HR and got a phone technical interview the following week. Everything went smoothly and everybody was very polite.

Interview Questions

• Got an online whiteboard interview while talking to an engineer on the phone. The engineer introduced himself in the beginning and made sure that I understood the question. He also pointed out some mistakes that I made.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

As far as difficulty, interview was pretty standard. Facebook has a very low tolerance for bugs/mistakes, so definitely test hard!

Having received offers from major companies (Google, Microsoft and Amazon) and having 8+ years experience at one of these, I feel reasonably confident in saying I wasn't challenged. Instead, the whole process felt like an exam, and most interviewers behaved like examiners, not collaborators.

There was very little discussion or debate. During 4 coding rounds, the interviewers took a backseat right after they gave me the problem statement. After I was done coding, the interviewers examined my code and stated their objections to it, such as:

- There's a wrong variable name that won't let your code compile
    - Please don't use your own utility functions, I've provided you with a few
    - Your code doesn't meet my contract exactly (I did implement an optimization, with the verbal agreement that the client didn't need the extra data)
    - In my system design round, I was asked to scale out a complicated data structure. I did make reasonable progress, but the interviewer and I were playing catch-up for the entire interview

Two interviewers told me to implement a 'silly' protocol, or a 'silly' class. This clearly makes it an exam, and not a true discussion/debate since it is not possible to make many logical arguments.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, but this is not very different from any other tech interview   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Quick 15min phone screen w/ recruiter. Recruiter asked some multiple choice questions about Android development. Approved me for next stage with technical phone screen interview. Sent email with lots of interview prep material. Technical phone screen interview was setup with a screenshare platform where I was asked two different algorithm type questions. First question was rather easy and involved a standard hash table. Second question involved bit manipulation which I had not expected. Even the interviewee had trouble giving me hints/help. Was not accepted for the next stage onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 Multiple Choice Android Development/API questions.
      2 Algorithm/Data Structure Questions.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, they responded within a week, set up a time to discuss about the positions available. I got a call sharply at the mentioned time, she told me about the type of work they do at Facebook, asked me about my interests and at the end told me to prepare for the initial technical screening.

I scheduled it two weeks later. Got a call from the interviewer, he introduced himself, told me briefly the work he does at Facebook and then asked me to open the coderpad link that I got from email. I was asked 1 standard programming question, the call lasted about 40mins, at the end he asked me if I have any questions and concluded the interview. Still waiting for their feedback (its been only 2 days now)

Interview Questions

• Max occurrence letter in a string. [Kept on adding constraints like ignore spaces, special characters, case insensitive..] Later asked about space and time complexities   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had one coding phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview at Palo Alto. The process was quite fast. On site interview was 4 sessions: 2 coding, 1 system design, 1 behavioral and research experience (in happened in this order with a lunch break in the middle).

Onsite interviews happened in a tiny 2 square meter room. The room temperature was unadjustable, and it got too hot and stuffy inside. It was almost like a torture room.

On my 1st coding interview, while I was writing code on the board, the interviewer sat at the table and played with his phone most of the interview. I was thinking out load and explaining what am I doing but he was not listening to me at all. When I asked a question he responded "Huh?". He was rude and did not have any manners.

2nd coding interviewer was much nicer, stood up with me the whole time while I was coding on the board and followed what I was doing and helped me along. This is how it should be...

3rd interviewer came to the interview 5-10 minutes late in a hurry, and was too arrogant. Close to end of the system design interview, he asked me question, I answered but he did not seem to be satisfied with my answer. Then he said "You could do X, but anyway we do not have time left.", X is a technical term with I did not think about.

2 interviewers were East Asians, 1 of them was South Asian and 1 of them was an Asian-American.
    It felt like I am in Asia.

Also, definitely do not dress up for this interview, jeans is more than enough. One of my interviewer was wearing lousy sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Interview Questions

• 1. You have a string consisting of open and closed parentheses, but parentheses may be imbalanced.
      Make the parentheses balanced and return the new string.

2. You have a string of numbers, i.e. 123. You can insert a + or - sign in front of ever number, or you can leave it empty. Find all of the different possibilities, make the calculation and return the sum.
      For example;
      +1+2+3 = 6
      +12+3 = 15
      +123 = 123
      +1+23 = 24
      ...
      -1-2-3 = 6
      ...
      Return the sum of all the results.

3. How do you design google search auto complete?

4. Classic behavioral questions
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was brought in for an onsite screening interview. All of the prep material that was sent to me emphasized the importance of creating a conversation with the interviewer, which I agree with. However, during the interview, my interviewer told me the problem to solve and then just went completely silent aside from answering yes/no to my questions about the problem. I get that there's less to talk about during a screening interview, but it came across as extremely unfriendly and probably resulted in wasted time as I just talked my way through the problem to no particular end.

Interview Questions

• Search for an item in a sorted, but rotated, array.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

Firstly the interviewee introduced himself. But because of his accent, I didn't hear very clearly. Then I presented a brief self-introduction. Then directly step to coding problem. At first he presented the problem, but I did't hear very clearly. He typed the problem on editor. If you didn't have clue for a long time, the interviewee will check with you and offer some clue. Follow up including time and space complexity of your solution. Finally he asked if I still have some problems.

Interview Questions

• Output a substring with at most k unique characters.
      "aabc" and k=2 -> "aab"
      3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after being referred for a position to set up a phone screen, which went well for a few minutes until I realized that the recruiter was looking at someone else's LinkedIn profile, despite having been sent my resume. Embarrassingly ironic for Facebook to have that problem (of all companies), but it wasn't so humorous to be on the receiving end.

Interview Questions

• What do you do at your current company?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A brief discussion with the team member about the target program. Then there is a online coding problem on sorted array about medium difficulty and a following problem about it.

Interview Questions

• Not to expose the interview question according to assignment. Review algorithm and data structure if you don't know what to do.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview went pretty well. There was a small discussion on my college projects which lasted only around 5 minutes. Then, I was asked to open the codepad link and asked to write the code on wildcard pattern recognition and dry run it. I wrote it, explained but was not able to handle a corner case. I was expecting second round since the interview was not that bad but was rejected on the same day.