Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Hr connected me and ask dome simple questions. I was told to have a phone interview and which the interviewer ask simple questions. The onsite is not professional. Three architectures and three coding! One of my interviewer is an Indian guyand HE DID NOT communicate with me! I keep asking him to clarify but hd refuse to answer it! How they can ask such rude people interview others?

Interview Questions

• Three architectures questions. Simple but seems they have the problem at work, stole interviee's idea?   1 Answer
  • Coding questions not to testing skill more than asking people to leave.   Answer Question

Not a good interviewing process!

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

As far as difficulty, interview was pretty standard. Facebook has a very low tolerance for bugs/mistakes, so definitely test hard!

Having received offers from major companies (Google, Microsoft and Amazon) and having 8+ years experience at one of these, I feel reasonably confident in saying I wasn't challenged. Instead, the whole process felt like an exam, and most interviewers behaved like examiners, not collaborators.

There was very little discussion or debate. During 4 coding rounds, the interviewers took a backseat right after they gave me the problem statement. After I was done coding, the interviewers examined my code and stated their objections to it, such as:

- There's a wrong variable name that won't let your code compile
    - Please don't use your own utility functions, I've provided you with a few
    - Your code doesn't meet my contract exactly (I did implement an optimization, with the verbal agreement that the client didn't need the extra data)
    - In my system design round, I was asked to scale out a complicated data structure. I did make reasonable progress, but the interviewer and I were playing catch-up for the entire interview

Two interviewers told me to implement a 'silly' protocol, or a 'silly' class. This clearly makes it an exam, and not a true discussion/debate since it is not possible to make many logical arguments.

Interview Questions

• I'm under NDA, but this is not very different from any other tech interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I had one coding phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview at Palo Alto. The process was quite fast. On site interview was 4 sessions: 2 coding, 1 system design, 1 behavioral and research experience (in happened in this order with a lunch break in the middle).

Onsite interviews happened in a tiny 2 square meter room. The room temperature was unadjustable, and it got too hot and stuffy inside. It was almost like a torture room.

On my 1st coding interview, while I was writing code on the board, the interviewer sat at the table and played with his phone most of the interview. I was thinking out load and explaining what am I doing but he was not listening to me at all. When I asked a question he responded "Huh?". He was rude and did not have any manners.

2nd coding interviewer was much nicer, stood up with me the whole time while I was coding on the board and followed what I was doing and helped me along. This is how it should be...

3rd interviewer came to the interview 5-10 minutes late in a hurry, and was too arrogant. Close to end of the system design interview, he asked me question, I answered but he did not seem to be satisfied with my answer. Then he said "You could do X, but anyway we do not have time left.", X is a technical term with I did not think about.

2 interviewers were East Asians, 1 of them was South Asian and 1 of them was an Asian-American.
    It felt like I am in Asia.

Also, definitely do not dress up for this interview, jeans is more than enough. One of my interviewer was wearing lousy sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Interview Questions

• 1. You have a string consisting of open and closed parentheses, but parentheses may be imbalanced.
      Make the parentheses balanced and return the new string.

2. You have a string of numbers, i.e. 123. You can insert a + or - sign in front of ever number, or you can leave it empty. Find all of the different possibilities, make the calculation and return the sum.
      For example;
      +1+2+3 = 6
      +12+3 = 15
      +123 = 123
      +1+23 = 24
      ...
      -1-2-3 = 6
      ...
      Return the sum of all the results.

3. How do you design google search auto complete?

4. Classic behavioral questions
      2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Quick 15min phone screen w/ recruiter. Recruiter asked some multiple choice questions about Android development. Approved me for next stage with technical phone screen interview. Sent email with lots of interview prep material. Technical phone screen interview was setup with a screenshare platform where I was asked two different algorithm type questions. First question was rather easy and involved a standard hash table. Second question involved bit manipulation which I had not expected. Even the interviewee had trouble giving me hints/help. Was not accepted for the next stage onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 Multiple Choice Android Development/API questions.
      2 Algorithm/Data Structure Questions.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, they responded within a week, set up a time to discuss about the positions available. I got a call sharply at the mentioned time, she told me about the type of work they do at Facebook, asked me about my interests and at the end told me to prepare for the initial technical screening.

I scheduled it two weeks later. Got a call from the interviewer, he introduced himself, told me briefly the work he does at Facebook and then asked me to open the coderpad link that I got from email. I was asked 1 standard programming question, the call lasted about 40mins, at the end he asked me if I have any questions and concluded the interview. Still waiting for their feedback (its been only 2 days now)

Interview Questions

• Max occurrence letter in a string. [Kept on adding constraints like ignore spaces, special characters, case insensitive..] Later asked about space and time complexities   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was brought in for an onsite screening interview. All of the prep material that was sent to me emphasized the importance of creating a conversation with the interviewer, which I agree with. However, during the interview, my interviewer told me the problem to solve and then just went completely silent aside from answering yes/no to my questions about the problem. I get that there's less to talk about during a screening interview, but it came across as extremely unfriendly and probably resulted in wasted time as I just talked my way through the problem to no particular end.

Interview Questions

• Search for an item in a sorted, but rotated, array.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

Firstly the interviewee introduced himself. But because of his accent, I didn't hear very clearly. Then I presented a brief self-introduction. Then directly step to coding problem. At first he presented the problem, but I did't hear very clearly. He typed the problem on editor. If you didn't have clue for a long time, the interviewee will check with you and offer some clue. Follow up including time and space complexity of your solution. Finally he asked if I still have some problems.

Interview Questions

• Output a substring with at most k unique characters.
      "aabc" and k=2 -> "aab"
      5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2017.

Interview

An employee at Facebook referred me for this role, and the time for the whole process is based on your availability dates. I had two rounds of telephonic interviews spread over two weeks in Feb. Two days after the 2nd round I got a mail that we are offering you an internship this summer.
    The interviews are not very difficult if you have good basics of data structures and have done CTCI.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a recent project and then a medium level Data Structure question.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I was contacted shortly after being referred for a position to set up a phone screen, which went well for a few minutes until I realized that the recruiter was looking at someone else's LinkedIn profile, despite having been sent my resume. Embarrassingly ironic for Facebook to have that problem (of all companies), but it wasn't so humorous to be on the receiving end.

Interview Questions

• What do you do at your current company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

2 Technical phone interviews of 45 mins each.
    Both the interviews consisted of 2 questions each.
    The interviewers were nice and helpful and helped me to go in the right direction.Just remember one thing to think out loud and explain your approach by taking examples, this makes them understand your approach a little quicker.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but the questions were of average difficulty.
      If you do cracking the coding interviews and do some practice on leetcode you will find these questions pretty straightforward.
      Also look out for question asked in the interviews of facebook (the ones asked for internships as well as for full-time), it will help a lot.
      1 Answer