Facebook Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Facebook

3.1

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2007.

Interview

I had one on campus interview, a follow up phone interview and then an on-site interview at their HQ in downtown Palo Alto. HR did a fantastic job with coordinating the interview day but the engineers that interviewed me were on their cell phones and did not seem interested in conducting a comprehensive interview. Every interviewer started off with "Why Facebook?" and asked an algorithm and design question. I realized later that almost all the programming questions I was asked were pulled DIRECTLY from "Programming Interviews Exposed". From the book:

The design questions were centered around processing large amounts of data, caching, time complexity, etc.

Interview Questions

• Given a set of characters, print out all possible permutations.   3 Answers
  • Given a binary tree, print out the elements in order. Without recursion.   1 Answer
  • Find the first letter in a string that does not have a pair.   3 Answers
  • Write a function that takes in an integer and returns the number of ones set in the binary representation.   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online but I didn't get an interview until a friend referred me. I had a few offer deadlines coming up, HR was super nice about it and helped me get a phone screen quickly. I got an email saying it would be through skype but instead I got a phone call and as you can imagine, I got the all too familiar guy-with-heavy-accent-that-i-can-hardly-hear. Also the connection was pretty bad, so he kept cutting out. I had to keep asking him to repeat himself but in the end kind of just gave up.

Regardless of the communication issues, I don't think I was completely prepared to do the phone screen, had trouble executing the algorithm I came up with, etc. Oh whale, next time!

Interview Questions

• input: list of possibly overlapping intervals, not sorted
      output: list of intervals that cover the same range but without overlapping
      (all intervals are closed)   4 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Interview

I turned in my résumé at a University hiring event and heard back within a week. A phone call was set up for the end of the week. It was meant to be a 45 min phone call but ran another 15 mins. I felt like they paired me with someone that was out of the scope of my prior experience. They are really looking for someone to hop onto on stack.

Interview Questions

• Choose the best structure and implement it to store a pre-fix line of code i.e. + - 3 3 4 5   3 Answers
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2015.

Interview

I had my resume submitted by a Facebook employee and i immediately got an email to schedule a technical interview. I scheduled it 2 weeks in advance because I had a Google interview scheduled for the following week. The interview questions were easy and I was able to answer them on time and had about 10 minutes at the end of the interview to chat with the interviewer. He was pleasant and we chatted about Facebook, the culture and the technology.
    At the end of the interview, he said he was pleased with my responses and he will submit his feedback to the recruiter who will let me know what the next steps were.
    I was taken aback when 8 days later, I got an email from the recruiter saying they were going to move forward with other candidates. I did not get any feedback whatsoever. I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong!

Interview Questions

• Q1. find all the unique xters in a string..and return them in place..ex- xyxx..return xy
      Q2. given a list of unique prime numbers, output all the numbers and all the possible products of 2 numbers and 3 numbers.You can't multiply a number by itself.   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

First round interview: Interviewed face to face at the University.
    Some general questions like why do I want to work at Facebook. Then I was asked 2 questions. One was a Fibonacci series and the other one was about an array with some special properties (I can't recall but I think it had some random zeroes interpolated). I stumbled on the second question which is why I guess didn't move forward.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to find a Fibonacci number. It wasn't Fibonacci per se but very similar. It is solved the same way.   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

Did not pass resume round. Got employee referral but still did not get interview. Both of us were pretty surprised. Major weakness in my application was lack of industry experience

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook in September 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was very nice. She firstly ask a recent project I'm working on, and then asked one coding question. She also gave some hints to find the bugs and complete the code.

Interview Questions

• Find the minimum window in string S which will contain all the characters in string T   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied with an internal referral and heard back in around 3 weeks. We scheduled a phone screen which consisted of an algorithm question and a couple of minutes to chat. I had to email the recruiter to find out if I moved on to the next round (thankfully I did). They flew me out to Menlo Park for 3 on-site interviews back-to-back-to-back. The first was a technical with two questions, the second was behavioral and the third was another technical. I emailed my recruiter back at the end of the 3 week waiting period and got a prompt response back that I had not gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• Given a file of 1s and 0s, where 1s represent two-byte characters and 0s represent one-byte characters, determine how long the last character in the file is.   Answer Question
    • Check whether a given tree is a binary search tree.   1 Answer
    • Given an array of integers, move all non-zero integers to the beginning of the array and return the number of non-zero integers. The memory can be assumed to be volatile.   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in December 2017.

Interview

4 onsite interviews. 3 technical and 1 behavioral/technical. The questions were medium/hard. Make sure you clearly state what you are thinking, the interviewers are trying to help you. There is a lunch after the interviews, followed by campus tours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn approximately a week before the phone interview (45 minutes). If you move forward, you go to onsite interviews. For my experience, FB was very quick to set everything up for me (heard back about not moving to onsite the day after my phone screen). It seems that FB values not only the optimal solution for questions, but being quick on your feet to identify the optimal solution and implementing it quickly. While I ended up getting the optimal solution (question is on Leetcode), I struggled with an edge case for ~15 minutes before the interviewer edged me to rectifying it. However, interviewer was pleasant to talk to. First 5-ish minutes were spent discussing what I was working on at my internship and what my interviewer's team does, 35-ish minutes on the one coding question, then rest of the time spent asking more questions. In hindsight I felt I should've given myself more time to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Given a number of size <= 999 billion, return its String representation (for 123, return "One Hundred Twenty Three," not "123").   2 Answers