Facebook Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.2

969 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me to see if I was interested in applying to Facebook. They had me do a phone screen, which is 45 minutes long. The interview was pretty strange. I could hear the interviewer yawning throughout the interview. The question was formatted strangely. He phrased in his preferred language, which was C++, but I had to translate what he wanted me to do into whatever language I was using for the interview. Towards the end of the interview he assured me that he was happy with the solution, and that I would be able to code it in my language of choice. A few days later I received a rejection from the recruiter. All in all, pretty happy to get the rejection since the FB phone screen alone raised a bunch of red flags for me.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a letter from the recruiter in a few days, after I applied. Two days later there was a phone interview. The recruiter showed no interest and asked me to wait until she read my resume. She asked me just one question: "tell me about yourself", after that I received a verbal refusal. There was no technical questions nor what I'm interested in. "Unfortunately, now we are looking for people with 3-4 years of work experience". A few days later I received a letter of refusal. I did not expect such unprofessional behavior from Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A recruiter had contacted me in the past, I decided to go ahead with the process now. Had first technical screening interview, I opted to do at Menlo Park office instead of phone. It was purely data structures and algorithms. He gave some hints which I did not take in first go but I did understand and solved the problem, so he gave mixed feedback, I was asked for another screening. Did it again at Menlo Park office. It went very well and I was invited for onsite. During onsite had 4 interviews, 2 coding, 1 behavioral + small code and 1 system design. At the end of system design, the interviewer said Good job. I did pretty well in the coding rounds too, Each coding round, I could solve two problems which is a good sign as per whatever I had heard from friends. But, I did end up getting rejected. Well, rejection is a part of interview process but the frustrating part was the feedback. Recruiter said unfortunately we cannot proceed with the offer as your system design did not go well. I was shocked and realized from the other glassdoor reviews I had read that it is the standard response they give because it is an open ended question. My coding rounds went very good so she couldn't say those were the bad ones. I told the recruiter that it is contradictory to what happened and she had nothing to say except for - we will ask our engineers to not give any verbal feedback. What the hell!!! Is this what you expect from companies like Facebook. Don't waste your time interviewing here if you don't have relevant work experience (I don't have that). They will reject you with system design feedback. Crap!!

Interview Questions

• Leetcode questions, same ones which people already mentioned in other glassdoor reviews   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screening with human resources, as a first assessment. Then first stage of phone coding interview using codepad focused on algorithmic question.The inteview lasts 45 minutes and you are presented with a problem immediately that you need to solve as fast as you can.

Interview Questions

• Given the alphabet encoded as numbers (e.g., a=1, b=2, ..., z=26), and a sequence of numbers (e.g., "23413259802"), how many strings can be generated.   16 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was interviewed by a new graduate out of school who did not seem interested in interviewing me. There was no consideration given to my experience to match me with an appropriate role by the recruiter or the interviewer. Overall, not a good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through referral. Took a week to schedule the phone screen. The interviewer asked about my projects for first 5-6 minutes. Then, I was given two problems to solve in 40 minutes. I didn't do very well to solve them. Got notification of rejection after 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Print all permutations of a given string.   3 Answers
    • Given a 2D array of characters ('-' , 'X' , 'R' , 'T'), find out whether there is a path from the robot 'R' to the target 'T'. The robot can move up, down, left or right. Cells marked with 'X' are blocked and cannot be passed through.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter and then a phone technical interview two weeks later. The technical interview was of medium difficulty and the interviewer was nice. I quickly got the second most optimized answer but my interviewer wanted the most optimized answer which took a longer for me to come up with.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Phone screen, initial coding test (remote or onsite), full day gauntlet (onsite). Went well at the beginning, with friendly and engaged interviewers, until the last interviewer of my onsite day was unavailable and got replaced by someone who obviously didn't care. Otherwise, surprisingly not as culty as expected.

Interview Questions

• Write a C function to merge two sorted linked lists   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted my a recruiter on Linkedin in March. The recruiter stopped responding and after I received another offerin May, the recruiter was interested again.
    The reason contact discontinued was because they were looking for senior level engineers. (Not a good reason for such a large company).
    Phone interview was set for 2 weeks after initial contact in May. Feedback after the interview was to have another phone screen because I was given too many hints, I got maybe 2 hints that were not helpful and misleading.

I decided to go with my other offer and did not bother to continue with the process.

Software Engineer, Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This was an onsite final round interview. The actual interview was only 45 minutes. I would recommend rescheduling this to just a phone interview since it is very exhausting to fly in and out.

Interview Questions

• Give tasks of diferrent kinds and a cooldown time. Tasks of same kind must be separated by at least cooldown time to executed.   2 Answers