Facebook Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.2

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Hiring process for interns is two technical phone interviews. The interviewer calls and gives you a coding question and you have to explain your solution as you type it into Coderpad. The interviewer can see everything as you type it. Be ready to think, explain, and type correct syntax on the fly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Facebook?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and offered a phone screen.
    The task was simple, I completed it, but didn't pass the screen. The feedback was --
    "Allocated an extra flag that wasn't needed". The flag was, actually, used, and needed.

So, they made up a reason to fail me. That is called prejudice.

Interview Questions

• Parse a string containing numbers and "+", "-" and parentheses. Evaluate the expression.
      -2+(3-5) should return -4.
      4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me in November, but I was busy and got back to her during mid-February with an updated resume. The recruiter then notified me they would like to move forward. The process is simple: at first there will be a technical interview for 45 minutes. If you ace that, then there will be another technical interview for 45 minutes. At this moment, if they think they are not sure, they sometimes take another technical interview.
    For me, it was two interviews (both phone). They were very technical, where you have to write code in coderpad. In both of the interviews, I was asked two questions each (can't disucss the questions here as I've signed an NDA). Both of my interviewers were very friendly, I felt like chatting with my friends and discussing some tricky problems. It was a very nice experience. I also think in addition to your solution, they also care about: (1) your communication skill (interacting with the interviewer); (2) your approach and thought process, i.e., how you arrived at the solution; (3) cleanliness and quality of your written code.
    Finally, as I am a PhD student, they had to match me with a specific team. So I had an additional team/host matching interview. It was less of an interview, and more of a chat about possible projects in the team that might suit my expertise/skill/interests. The host was very nice and friendly. The recruiter was very fast and professional as I expect from a company like Facebook. Although it was March (late for hiring summer interns), the whole process completed within a month!

Interview Questions

• Describe your project/patent that you have done when interning at X company?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

Initial interview with an HR employee was not great. The employee spent more time talking at me than asking me questions or having a conversation. I asked about Diversity efforts currently going on and was never given any information after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What programming languages are you comfortable with   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1 phone call by recruiter; Once recruiter feels ok, she sets up a phone interview which is a technical interview. Passing that, you go onsite for 5 onsite technical interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

contacted thru linkedn , if I was interested in facebook. Pondered whether to give a try or not . As my impression was facebook being php shop and me being a scala developer it would not match my skillset(Not interested in going back to dreaded c++ either). Meandered and then agreed for phone interview.

I have pretty good exp (10+) most of these interviews are not cakewalks but not hard either. Only concern being absolutely neat monkey coding text book soln in 30-40mins. Most of the interviewers are nit picky and want perfect code. So you have 10 mins to think and 30 mins to code in a collabedit. Unless you are able to monkey code the soln while talking to interviewer , just simply avoid its nothing but sheer nonsense. But if you want to practice then ;-)

Interview Questions

• The interview called up 30 minutes late and rushed thru.
      Given a string break it up into meaningful sentence "thesystemisrunning" => the system is running
      2 Answers
    • After 3 weeks I got call for another interview.

Given a million a million integers find the kth smallest
      2 Answers
    • Got a call saying they need to take another interview, was nearly about to say thanks but no thanks but ended up taking it just for practice.

LRU cache which gives latest accessed element.
      1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

45 minutes interview with one tech question. Their engineering called and briefly asked about why you want to work at facebook. You have time to ask them questions at the end

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online, and a recruiter reached out to me almost two months after. She asked me for some info and my availability and within two or three days scheduled one technical phone call with an engineer. The engineer was extremely helpful and you could tell he genuinely wanted me to do well (study prior), good after convo don't be afraid to ask questions! It's not everyday you get to talk to an engineer working for facebook.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I talked to some engineers when Facebook visited my college. About a month or two later, I received an email from HR and got a phone technical interview the following week. Everything went smoothly and everybody was very polite.

Interview Questions

• Got an online whiteboard interview while talking to an engineer on the phone. The engineer introduced himself in the beginning and made sure that I understood the question. He also pointed out some mistakes that I made.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Hr connected me and ask dome simple questions. I was told to have a phone interview and which the interviewer ask simple questions. The onsite is not professional. Three architectures and three coding! One of my interviewer is an Indian guyand HE DID NOT communicate with me! I keep asking him to clarify but hd refuse to answer it! How they can ask such rude people interview others?

Interview Questions

• Three architectures questions. Simple but seems they have the problem at work, stole interviee's idea?   1 Answer
    • Coding questions not to testing skill more than asking people to leave.   Answer Question

Not a good interviewing process!