Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 1, 2017

3.1

52 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

I was given two easy algorithm questions. My interviewer told me I had a bug in my solution to the first, but when they pointed out the "bug" it turns out they just didn't know Python very well.

For the second question, the interviewer acted like they had never seen dynamic programming before. Did not even seem to grasp the concept. It took me under 5 minutes to come up with a solution, but we spent the entire interview with the interviewer asking the same questions about how it would work. Ran out of time and they wouldn't even let me write down my original solution.

Asked a few questions about what Facebook engineers spend their time doing other than coding. Received nothing but non-answers to all of them.

Interview Questions

• Find the length of the longest increasing subarray in a list   2 Answers
  • Find the length of the longest increasing subsequence (with gaps allowed) in a list   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn approximately a week before the phone interview (45 minutes). If you move forward, you go to onsite interviews. For my experience, FB was very quick to set everything up for me (heard back about not moving to onsite the day after my phone screen). It seems that FB values not only the optimal solution for questions, but being quick on your feet to identify the optimal solution and implementing it quickly. While I ended up getting the optimal solution (question is on Leetcode), I struggled with an edge case for ~15 minutes before the interviewer edged me to rectifying it. However, interviewer was pleasant to talk to. First 5-ish minutes were spent discussing what I was working on at my internship and what my interviewer's team does, 35-ish minutes on the one coding question, then rest of the time spent asking more questions. In hindsight I felt I should've given myself more time to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Given a number of size <= 999 billion, return its String representation (for 123, return "One Hundred Twenty Three," not "123").   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied through Referral. A recruiter followed after 2 weeks for a phone interview. The question asked, was from the hard section on Leetcode. Just be prepared for any DP, Graph theory question. Facebook was pretty quick to respond as I received my reject the same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Scheduled a 45 mins phone interview through HR. Interviewer was quite friendly and gave good feedback. He also gave a good review for the code and my coding style. I gave optimal solutions to all 3 problems in the first go. I dont know if that might have affected the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Create copy of LinkedList   3 Answers
    • Create all possible subsets subsets of given set.   2 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview, with Facebook engineer, 45 min long, 5 min intro, 1 coding question. 2nd interview same format. They didnt care about chitchat or my skills just the coding question. Both had HORRIBLE accents very hard to understand. During coding questions they ask you questions about your solutions complexity and about the data structures in your solution. They wanted the most efficient solution. Both interviews were over the phone and coding was done on an online shared text editor called

Interview Questions

• Given list of (x,y) coordinates, an origin (o.x,o.y), and a number k find the k'th closest coordinate to the origin   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree(not a binary search tree), create a doubly linked, circular link list with data in the same order as the In Order transversal of the tree   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applies online and got a reference. Soon after received an email to schedule a phone conversation for a technical screen. Did coding on coderpad on a question which was:
    Find the minimum distance to a leaf node in a binary tree
    Had a short conversation on resume and projects and what Im looking for as well.

Interview Questions

• Find the minimum distance to a leaf node in a binary tree   1 Answer

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin. The recruiter got back to me and gave me the email of the person in charge of interviewing the students of my school. I sent an email to the guy in charge and he got back to me in 15 mins. He let me know that he will be forwarding my resume and I will hear back for an interview. I had a 1 hour phone interview with a software engineer. Unfortunately, I did not go further than this.

Interview Questions

• Given a decimal number, find the number of 1s in its binary representation? Follow up: Can u solve this in O(1) run time and O(1) space.   3 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in November 2016.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me 4 days after my friend has referred me. Then the recruiter asked me to offer some available times to arrange a phone interview. I asked a rearrangement and the recruiter responded quickly. The phone interviewer was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Given an input array like [1,2,3] and a target like 5, find all combinations of array that sum up to target. [2,3] and [3,2] counts for only 1 combination.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I participated in a 45 minute on campus interview, then had an onsite interview in Menlo Park for Facebook University Day. There were 3 separate interviews on University Day; one personality & background interview, and 2 problem solving/whiteboard coding interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to share interview questions with outside sources   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was recruited, interviewed and screened, no offer. The questions were deceivingly simple. I'm not a classroom taught coder, so maybe I just didn't have the algorithm knowledge needed. Everyone was very nice and friendly, and I enjoyed all of my interactions though. I think it's hard to get your foot in the door and there are so many qualified individuals. Alas, Facebook is not for me I suppose.

Interview Questions

• What is a project you have worked on for computer science?   2 Answers