Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 3, 2017

3.1

55 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied through Referral. A recruiter followed after 2 weeks for a phone interview. The question asked, was from the hard section on Leetcode. Just be prepared for any DP, Graph theory question. Facebook was pretty quick to respond as I received my reject the same day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn approximately a week before the phone interview (45 minutes). If you move forward, you go to onsite interviews. For my experience, FB was very quick to set everything up for me (heard back about not moving to onsite the day after my phone screen). It seems that FB values not only the optimal solution for questions, but being quick on your feet to identify the optimal solution and implementing it quickly. While I ended up getting the optimal solution (question is on Leetcode), I struggled with an edge case for ~15 minutes before the interviewer edged me to rectifying it. However, interviewer was pleasant to talk to. First 5-ish minutes were spent discussing what I was working on at my internship and what my interviewer's team does, 35-ish minutes on the one coding question, then rest of the time spent asking more questions. In hindsight I felt I should've given myself more time to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Given a number of size <= 999 billion, return its String representation (for 123, return "One Hundred Twenty Three," not "123").   2 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview, with Facebook engineer, 45 min long, 5 min intro, 1 coding question. 2nd interview same format. They didnt care about chitchat or my skills just the coding question. Both had HORRIBLE accents very hard to understand. During coding questions they ask you questions about your solutions complexity and about the data structures in your solution. They wanted the most efficient solution. Both interviews were over the phone and coding was done on an online shared text editor called

Interview Questions

• Given list of (x,y) coordinates, an origin (o.x,o.y), and a number k find the k'th closest coordinate to the origin   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree(not a binary search tree), create a doubly linked, circular link list with data in the same order as the In Order transversal of the tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online but I didn't get an interview until a friend referred me. I had a few offer deadlines coming up, HR was super nice about it and helped me get a phone screen quickly. I got an email saying it would be through skype but instead I got a phone call and as you can imagine, I got the all too familiar guy-with-heavy-accent-that-i-can-hardly-hear. Also the connection was pretty bad, so he kept cutting out. I had to keep asking him to repeat himself but in the end kind of just gave up.

Regardless of the communication issues, I don't think I was completely prepared to do the phone screen, had trouble executing the algorithm I came up with, etc. Oh whale, next time!

Interview Questions

• input: list of possibly overlapping intervals, not sorted
      output: list of intervals that cover the same range but without overlapping
      (all intervals are closed)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Questions are all very standard. Coding on white board was challenging, because i'm not good at testing in my mind. They really value concise, correct, and efficient code. All questions were not hard, but interviewers wanted you to have a clear understanding and solution at the very beginning. You need to vocal about your idea and thoughts too.

Interview Questions

• Linked list and string manipulation   2 Answers

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied online,using the friendly Facebook career website.
    I received an email followed by informal phone interview.Afterwards,I got the chance for a tech interview.
    The first questions were a little general,tell me about yourself kind of thing.previous experience and the challenges faced.
    There were 2 coding problems, one based on recursion,factorial kind of thing...

And afterwards ,a question on merging two sorted arrays in linear time.My approach solved the problem in quadratic time and was asked to improve it to the best I can.
    At first I couldn't really see how;but the interviewer was really nice.He gave me hints to start with. At first I stumbled because I could not immediately get the whole idea.I kept on saying stuff without changing the code until I said the right thing and he agreed with me afterwards.
    I am waiting to hear the outcome of the interview which I have hope I passed and will get the chance to work with such wonderful and humble people.I really liked the guy,so down to earth...I feel like crying right now...

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview

After applying online I got a very casual recruiting email a few weeks later reaching out about a specific product engineering position, in fact I wasn't sure if it was real (wasn't addressed to me), but I looked up the recruiter and she was listed on linked in as employee of Facebook, so I responded. It took a while to decide if she could continue as my recruiter or if I needed to go through a university specific recruiter, but once my first phone interview was setup the process moved quite quickly.

The first phone interview was a 45 minute coding interview. Pretty standard for the big companies. I completed 2 questions. What was the most unique about this process, is the feedback from that initial interview was shared with me by the recruiter - giving me that so I can improve on it for the in person interview, which I really think is a great reflection of Facebook's open culture.

Facebook, like Google, generally doesn't hire for specific teams, however, they took the time to find a project at Facebook I would find especially interesting and fill my in person interview with people on that team so I could ask questions about it.

Facebook has three types of interviews which they call Ninja, Pirate and Jedi (because they are the best kind of dorks). I had two Ninja Interviews and one Jedi. Ninja is typical coding interview where they ask 1-2 coding questions. The Jedi interview is culture fit where they ask you how you work on team, but you will also spend half the time coding. I think Pirate are focused on distributed systems type questions, but I was informed that they often skip these questions for New Grads without any explicit experience, because it's something most people learn from working in the industry and they don't get strong data from those interviews.

It's also worth noting that during my job search I had coding interviews with 18 people and 17 of them were men, Facebook is the one company where I had a technical interview with a woman, although it was still the Jedi interview.

I applied to Google at the same time as Facebook and their process moved a little faster, so I got an offer from Google the day before I went in for an in person interview, thankfully I had enough time to decide for Facebook to get their counter offer in, and the recruiter's care in setting me up with that team was a big part in what made me decide to go with Facebook.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA not to reveal questions, I did feel well prepared by studying questions/strategies from Cracking the Coding Interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had looked up new grad offers for 2014 before I received the offer, and was given exactly the standard, which was also the highest offer I received, so I did not negotiate.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

2 Rounds of Phone Interview

4 Interviews on-site.
    Coding + Fit Interview
    - Behavorial Questions
    => What do you love about Facebook?
    => Would you be able to survive such an environment where you are facing millions of users as the customer?
    Coding Interview
    = Questions below
    Coding Interview
    = Questions below
    Fit Interview
    => Describe and talk about a project you had that was most challenging and learning.

Interview Questions

• Given a Pre-Order and In-Order string of a binary tree, can we and if we can, construct the "Post-Order" String.   4 Answers

Negotiation

It was a great package and I decided to take it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Employee referral, 2 weeks later a email from the recruiter. Schedule a phone interview for 1 week from recruiter contact. Software engineer contacted me and told me about what he did and asked me what I like to do and then onto the coding problem. Everyone was very friendly

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

First a phone screen, then 3 onsite interviews, 45 minutes each
    Phone screen - Print a tree, level by level. Write all solutions for a^3+b^3 = c^3 + d^3, where a, b, c, d lie between [0, 10^5]
    On site - 1. Print a list in reverse 2. Stress interview 3. Maximum profit for buying selling a stock given an array of prices for n days. Isomorphic trees