Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineering New Grad Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Nov 3, 2017

3.2

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied with an internal referral and heard back in around 3 weeks. We scheduled a phone screen which consisted of an algorithm question and a couple of minutes to chat. I had to email the recruiter to find out if I moved on to the next round (thankfully I did). They flew me out to Menlo Park for 3 on-site interviews back-to-back-to-back. The first was a technical with two questions, the second was behavioral and the third was another technical. I emailed my recruiter back at the end of the 3 week waiting period and got a prompt response back that I had not gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• Given a file of 1s and 0s, where 1s represent two-byte characters and 0s represent one-byte characters, determine how long the last character in the file is.   Answer Question
  • Check whether a given tree is a binary search tree.   Answer Question
  • Given an array of integers, move all non-zero integers to the beginning of the array and return the number of non-zero integers. The memory can be assumed to be volatile.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied through Referral. A recruiter followed after 2 weeks for a phone interview. The question asked, was from the hard section on Leetcode. Just be prepared for any DP, Graph theory question. Facebook was pretty quick to respond as I received my reject the same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applies online and got a reference. Soon after received an email to schedule a phone conversation for a technical screen. Did coding on coderpad on a question which was:
    Find the minimum distance to a leaf node in a binary tree
    Had a short conversation on resume and projects and what Im looking for as well.

Interview Questions

• Find the minimum distance to a leaf node in a binary tree   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I participated in a 45 minute on campus interview, then had an onsite interview in Menlo Park for Facebook University Day. There were 3 separate interviews on University Day; one personality & background interview, and 2 problem solving/whiteboard coding interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to share interview questions with outside sources   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied with the referral from the internal employee and the recruiter contacted me within 2-3 days. The whole process was very efficient. I did one phone interview with an engineer and finished two coding questions and then received the onsite interview notification the same day. I did the onsite interview one week later in Menlo Park HQ. The interview included two rounds of coding sessions, one round of system design and one round culture-fit chatting with a manager.

Interview Questions

• The interview includes two rounds of coding sessions, one round of system design and one round culture-fit chatting with a manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Questions are all very standard. Coding on white board was challenging, because i'm not good at testing in my mind. They really value concise, correct, and efficient code. All questions were not hard, but interviewers wanted you to have a clear understanding and solution at the very beginning. You need to vocal about your idea and thoughts too.

Interview Questions

• Linked list and string manipulation   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I had an in person first round screen interview. Then I had a second round which consisted of 4 interviews. 2 coding interviews, 1 higher level designing a system interview and a personality fit+coding interview. Topics covered included, scheduling for the designing a system, fast sorting for arrays with structure, binary search, recursion and bit wise operations.

Interview Questions

• There was a question on longest common subsequence (dynamic programming).   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Initially applied online, but did not hear back after a couple weeks. Asked a friend to submit a referral and I was contacted within 24 hours. I was working up against a deadline, and they were able to set up the phone screen quickly. After the phone screen, I was notified they would like to bring me on-site.

The on-site interviews went quickly and smoothly. During one of my interviewers, I had to inform the interviewer twice in a row that I had seen the question before on an interview (which was embarrassing, but we quickly moved on to a question I hadn't seen).

After contacting my references, Facebook e-mailed me about 10 days later to let me know they were going to make an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

First a phone screen, then 3 onsite interviews, 45 minutes each
    Phone screen - Print a tree, level by level. Write all solutions for a^3+b^3 = c^3 + d^3, where a, b, c, d lie between [0, 10^5]
    On site - 1. Print a list in reverse 2. Stress interview 3. Maximum profit for buying selling a stock given an array of prices for n days. Isomorphic trees

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was selected for an on-campus screening interview. The interview was pretty easy compared to other companies. After the initial ice breakers, was asked an open ended question related to area of my interest followed by 2 coding questions to be solved on a paper. Basic questions testing if you can write code and know data structures. Was informed in a couple of hours that I am selected for on-site interview.

The process to select the dates and flights, hotels was smooth. There were about 30-40 other new grad candidates and intern on the day of interview. Every new grad had just 3 coding interviews one of which was behavioral interview for checking if the candidate would be a good fit. The other two were ninja coding interviews. I had two coding questions in the behavioral round which I answered well. Two question in the first ninja round which were pretty wasy and I coded pretty quickly but messed up a basic thing in the first question. Had time for only one question in the second ninja round. This was the only tougher question in the interviews and I got the ideal answer in the end but didn't have time to finish the coding part.

I think the basic mistake in the second interview and the third interview messed up my chances. I feel the company puts importance on how fast you come up with perfect answer. That's the questions are simple. So you are expected to be quick thinking and are expected to not mess up something so simple.

There was lunch, awesome tour of campus and two tech talk after the interviews. This was one of the best interview days I had this season (I have had 4 on-site interview till now). No all day long torture of interviews and pretty awesome talks and tour giving an inside view of the company. Would interview again if given a chance!

Interview Questions

• I would not give the actual questions given the NDA I signed.   Answer Question