Facebook Solutions Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook Solutions Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

A friend referred me for SWE, but instead I got contacted for Solutions Engineer. The process was 1. recruiter phone screen + coding challenge 2. phone screen with a Solutions Engineer 3. Onsite.

The interviews mostly consisted of a lot of behavioral and questions about your past experience. In addition to that, they also gave coding problems which were not too hard

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers and a target number, list all pairs that sum up to that number   7 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

A recruiter set up a telephone interview with me after submitting my resume. That was a blazingly fast response. The first part of the interview took about 30 minutes. She walked me through the requirements of the position and asked me I had any questions at the end. I was given fifteen minutes to complete a coding challenge, while she monitored my code on a collaborative editor. One day after the interview, she got back to me and said I did not make for the second round of the interview, after my code went through a review process by the Facebook technical team.

Interview Questions

• Write a program which stores the results of the numbers in a Fibonancci sequence in an array   8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The recruiter described the solutions engineer role and asked me about my experience. The role is really about talking to people who buy facebook ads and optimizing their experience. She asked me about my experiences that would help me in this role

Interview Questions

• The recruiter asked me to code a function that returns the Fibonacci sequence.   3 Answers

Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter the day after I submitted my resume online. I was as accommodating as possible, finding a quick break between meetings to speak with her about the position. Overall, that conversation went well but I was winding down from a high pressure meeting so I was definitely a bit loquacious. We scheduled a phone interview to follow two days later.

During that time, I talked a bit with my mother about how relocation would affect my ability to help with a recent loss in my immediate family. I emailed the recruiter and scheduler, alerting them I didn't think I'd be able to relocate for some time, and I understood if they wanted to cancel the interview, but I'd hold the time on my calendar until hearing from them.

I received a reply after the interview time, only after mentioning "Glassdoor". So I instead spent the interview time writing this review.

Challenging work is great, being part of innovation is amazing, but as a successful professional with experience in both, I can't emphasize enough how important it is you find somewhere to work that treats people the way you'd hope to be treated in opposite shoes. This is the same way they'll treat you as innovation changes things... who knows...in a more connected/augmented reality based world what relevance a profile would even have?

If I could look back I would apply this same principle to how I made friends, love interests, and how I have chosen jobs. There will always be more money to be made. There will always be smart people to work with. There will always be exciting/innovating things to be part of. But this isn't like surfing waves where you just catch another one...being part of something will change who you are/how you act/who you become.

In short, don't sell your soul to hang out with this year (or decades) cool kids.

Interview Questions

• Should I hold the time on my calendar for this meeting or would you like to cancel?   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

Interview

pretty straightforward. I got called up by a recruiter who talked about the solutions engineering team and then asked me several behavioral interview questions. The recruiter also asked me to share about my prior experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about why you want to work at FB?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

HR phone screen regarding job history and some soft questions, coding problem to solve within 72-hour window on glider.ai, tech phone-screen with engineer with some soft questions and a coding problem.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Recruiter Screen, Timed Coding Challenge, Technical Phone Screen, 5 hour on-site at Menlo Park (alternating between behavioral interview questions, technical interview questions all with different recruiters).

Overall, it was a very streamlined and quick process compared to most of other companies.

Interview Questions

• Demoing app - why did you make the decisions you did?
      (Sorry - I cannot recall the precise questions at this point)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and had a 15 minute rushed conversation with the recruiter. He was a little slow - he asked me my location 3 times and kept asking me the same thing twice. He was clearly in a rush and didn't let me ask him any questions before ending the phone call. I emailed him with some questions later on in the day and he didn't respond to those. He only responded to matters relating to scheduling the phone interview. All of his replies were of course templated auto-responses. Very unprofessional.

He then sent me an online quiz:

After I submitted that, a couple of days later, he asked to set up a phone interview with a Solutions Engineer.

Phone screen:

The interviewer called 5 minutes late. He was very inexperienced at interviewing. 8 months on the job.
    Questions:
    - Why do you want to be a solutions engineer
    - What was the biggest challenge
    - He then asked me a LC hard question (on coderpad):

He has clearly pasted this question from LC or somewhere and he didn't have a clue about what the question was. He wasn't able to answer any of my questions regarding the question it self - I asked him what a valid parentheses was in this scenario and there was a long pause from his side. He was not experienced in interviewing and that combined with his lack of technical skills and sparse knowledge of the question made the interview very difficult.

He was looking for an 'optimized stack solution' . I wasn't able to come up with it. I did however give him an optimized backtracking and another BFS solution (both of which are optimal solutions) and he wasn't happy with that. He eventually got audibly frustrated and asked to "code it up" and when I asked which solution, he said "anything". I coded up the solution (which I compiled later on an IDE and it worked beautifully).

I am not sure what this optimized stack solution is but clearly not solving the problem EXACTLY the way he wanted it was grounds to reject me. Really closed minded of Facebook. Apparently they let anyone to conduct an interview.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of n integers where n > 1, nums, return an array output such that output[i] is equal to the product of all the elements of nums except nums[i].   Answer Question
    • Remove Invalid Parentheses - Remove the minimum number of invalid parentheses in order to make the input string valid.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me through email and I asked for some time to study up and practice my algorithm questions. A month later I was sent a coding interview. Once I passed that I had another phone interview where I was asked a pretty standard leetcode algorithm type question. I was scheduled for an onsite and was sent a lot of great material to prepare for the interview. There are a lot more behavioral questions than most SWE roles because this role involves more customer interaction. I initially thought I didn't do that well on the system design question, but the coding questions were pretty standard leetcode questions, and were ones that I had practiced/seen before (Mentioned I had seen the questions). 2 days after the interview I was contacted and told I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where there was a conflict in your team and how did you handle it   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in November 2018.

Interview

Recruiter connected with me over email and scheduled some time to discuss the interview process. He went over my resume and asked about what I want in my next role.
    Then the second round was a coding challenge for 25min on Glider. I successfully passed all the test cases(calculate product of all the elements at each index but leaving the data at current index).
    Third round was telephonic round with a solution engineer. It started on time and interviewer asked about the my background, why I am interested in this position. Then if I have done before client facing job, what are the challenges faced and then what was the learning from those challenges. Then he started writing a coding question on coderPad. The question was simple implement sortedIterator which has input of list of lists. Implement the next and hasNext function. I was too nervous and did provided the solution after the hints but was not able to complete it.

Interview Questions

• The question was simple implement sortedIterator which has input of list of lists. Implement the next and hasNext function.   1 Answer