Facebook User Experience Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Facebook User Experience Researcher Interview Questions

Interviews at Facebook

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Passed the phone-screening from the recruiter at the company in Dec. 2017. Just completed the first-round 45 min video conference interview with a UX researcher. Waiting for the second-round video interview. Hope I can get it.

Interview Questions

• What is the non-Facebook App you use most? Why? Based on my answer, a scenario was given for conducting a user research by using some research methods.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Jose, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter, who scheduled a call with me. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. She also asked me some questions regarding my willingness to relocate and preference of locations, as well as some standard questions about whether I'm allowed to work in US etc. The second round of interview was a video interview with one of their employees, didn't make through the 2nd round though.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Facebook   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I thought the interview process was fair and most questions try to get you to demonstrate that you have the skills that you are actually going to use in your job. The process included 3 steps: 1) Phone interview with recruiter to assess general compatibility; 2) Technical video conference, here is where you are assessed on your technical skills; 3) onsite interview, you prepare a 30-45 minute talk and then meet one on one with the attendants to your talk and they ask you about it.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about how to analyze data   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in January 2018.

Interview

(for a UX researcher internship). After submitting my resume, a recruiter contacted me to set up a 30 minute screening interview. She asked basic questions about my past research experience. Then, we set up an interview with a UX researcher, where I was asked questions about how I would perform a hypothetical study. The third interview was with a group of 3 user researchers. I spent 30 minutes presenting on a past research project, and then 30 minutes of Q&A where they asked me questions about that project (specifically, questions about how I might do it differently given different constraints, etc.).

Interview Questions

• (first interview) If you had unlimited resources, what kind of research project would you conduct?   2 Answers
    • (second interview) Tell me about your favorite app. What is a potential problem the App has? How would you go about researching that problem? How would you do the research if you only had 2 weeks to do the research? How about 1 week?   Answer Question
    • (third interview) After I presented my research, they asked questions about why I chose the method I did, how I would do it differently if I could do the project again with more resources, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

My set of interviews was their standard process: first there was an initial recruiter research interest discussion, then a technical skills phone screen interview about one week after that, then onsite all-day interview process in Menlo Park which entailed presenting my own research and having interviews with three researchers. My experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Q: Name an app besides FB that you like? (I chose Twitter) What are some areas for improvement on this app? How would you design a study around that idea?   1 Answer

User Experience Researcher Interview

Interview

Kinda rude - superscripted - and lacking a bit in ethics.

I was contacted by HR via LinkedIn. She set up a 15 min call for the classic introduction call -- she was super nice. She then set up the infamous 45 min video call where they ask you to plan a study for an app you use.

Mine had 2 interviewers on the call, one was getting trained to do interviews. The lady who was getting trained ran the interview, although the more senior guy would interrupt her to mansplaining once and a while (I bet it's fun interviewing users with him in the room). I'm pretty sure he checked his phone at one point and was obviously not impressed or engaged with the discussion. Not one of them asked me a single question about my experience, the interviewer literally just read a script to me about the scenario.

I also noticed it was being recorded. You would think that a pair of HCI researchers and/or a company looking to rebuild trust online would have better ethical instincts around recording a remote interview. At a minimum, I expect as a common courtesy for them to mention at some point that I'm being recorded and what the recording will be used for (and what it will not be used for). I would suggest you start looking at these recordings instead of, I'm guessing, just using them for legal purposes.

Super disappointing.

Interview Questions

• What is an app you use often?
      If you wanted to run a study to increase <some irrelevant PULSE metric>, how would you go about doing that?

AKA, we are going to give you a scenario that is beyond vague, based on a horrible metric for engagement, and with zero context of the user, because someone read somewhere that a scenario based test has a 20% chance of predicting a successful candidate and we think this checks that box. How is this scenario related to UXR? We know success in UXR comes from how you work with your team, developing empathy, and understanding the user's needs/behaviors/motivations. 3 things this scenario balks against.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2018.

Interview

The internship application is a three-round interview. You first have an initial screening with a recruiter. In their words, this meeting is to "speak to you over the phone to learn a little bit more about you, your background and experience and to tell you a bit more about opportunities with UX Research." The second round is a 45-minute video interview with one UX researcher. This is a methods-based interview, and you will be paired with a qualitative, quantitative, or mixed-methods researcher based on your skillset. The next step is to schedule your first video conference interview with one of our researchers. As the recruiter explained, "This 45 minute interview will focus on your research skills and situational questions to better understand how you think through research problems." I found the second round to be the most difficult. He asked me to pick a social media platform other than Facebook that I used. I was then asked to on-the-fly design a study for that platform. Make sure you understand how to leverage different methods under different conditions (such as the research question, type of user problem, and timeline given to complete the project). The final round is a VC interview that contains a 30-minute presentation followed by 30 minutes of Q&A with 3 UX researchers. I really loved the third round. I felt connected to and comfortable with the topic, and the researchers asked thoughtful questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the pros and cons of X method?   1 Answer
    • Think about your favorite social media app or website besides Facebook. How would you study it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Facebook?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2018.

Interview

From an internal recommendation, I was referred to a recruiter. We had a 45 min conversation and then I had a 1-hour video chat interview. I thought the recruiter was the best I had ever interacted with.

Interview Questions

• If you had to design a way to evaluate a new interface on the website or app and test it and get results in 3 weeks, what would you do?   1 Answer

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews, one with the hiring manager and another one with a research manager. I was invited to the on-site interview afterwards and my experience at the on-site interview was extremely negative. First, I was traveling from the east coast to the west coast and had to take a day off from my current job. They booked the worst flights with long layovers that needed me to take 2 days off. After some back and forth with the agency, I was able to get a more decent flight (still not very decent). Then, at the on-site interview, after interviewing with 2 people (scheduled to interview with 7), I was told that my interview was going to be terminated without providing any feedback. Overall, they handled the whole process very unprofessionally and with no respect of my time. My interview was confirmed very last minute and then terminated prematurely without even giving me the chance to further explain my experience. The least FB can do for candidates that travel that far is to make sure they are strong fits before they invite to the on-site interview and then give them the chance to display their skills by letting them complete the scheduled interviews!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2019.

Interview

I had an internal reference. The recruiter called me and we had a 30 minute chat. The questions he asked were pretty basic stuff. Afterwards, I had a 45 minute video interview with a researcher. He asked me to name my favorite app, and then describe what it does well, and bad. Next, he told me to walk him through how I would go about researching what user pain points were if I only had 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why Facebook?   Answer Question
    • What sort of studies do you want to work on?   Answer Question
    • Are you more qualitative or quantitative?   Answer Question
    • Name your favorite app. What does it do well? What does it do it bad?   Answer Question
    • Imagine you’re working for [app you named]. How would you go about finding out about user pain points, if you only had three week?   Answer Question