FactSet Graduate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FactSet Graduate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.1

Graduate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at FactSet in October 2016.

Interview

I signed up for a campus interview. Consisted mostly of behavioral questions, very structured with little added commentary to the responses. Interviewer questioned my experiences listed on my resume a few times

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

1. Online Finance & Numerical Test - Quite easy to complete especially if you have a Finance background.

2. Short Telephone Interview - Basic questions about your work history and academic history.

3. Assessment Centre - 1. Excel Test - Basic skills such as Vlookup, IfLogic, Alphabetical Ordering 2. Group Activity (Order a group of tasks in terms of priority) 3. MicroTeach - You have to teach the other candidates a skill or concept of your own choosing. You have 10mins.

4. Final 1hr Panel Interview - Questions about your motivations for working at FactSet as well as what other jobs you're applying for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Applied in October 2016 with CV, covering letter,and some open questions.

2. Was informed they arrange the online tests only after the application closing date, which was 28th Feb 2017. Tests assigned in early March, including a 30-min math test and a 30-min finance test. Both to be completed within 3 days and are quite easy if you're from a finance background. The emails says you will hear back within 5 days but I was informed after a month.

3. A month later was informed that I passed the OT and got invited to a 30-min live video interview. The interview was structured as below:
    1) CV-related: what responsibilities for each role of your work experience; why did you choose this university subject; why are you interested in technology
    2) Motivation: what's your understanding of consulting at factset? What consultants do on a daily basis? Who are clients? Who are competitors? What differ factset from its competitors?
    3) Technical: Factset has mainly 3 teams: IB,IM and FX. What are their differences and how can Factset help clients in IB, IM and FX? What services an investment banker in M&A will look for?
    The interviewer was really professional, nice and friendly. At the end of the interview,she said she'd send the outcome email in the afternoon, really efficient compared with the previous stages. About 4-5 hours later got the email inviting me to the AC exactly one week later.

4. AC (half-day) 10 candidates (2 goups)
    The AC consists of 4 parts: Factset test, Excel test, Group discussion and Micro teach. Due to the network problem we started quite late so didn't have time for the networking session. After 20 min introduction video we were asked to complete a series of instructions and save the screen within a time limit (can't remember the exact time); then the excel tests to be completed within 20 min. I didn't do well in this part as the laptop stuck for a moment then I missed the last few seconds in the intro video, so definitely concentrate on the video! The excel was okay as an average user.
    Group discussion is prioritising a pile of tasks, including what tasks are not to be done today. Focus on clients and think about the potential consequences. Last part was the micro teach, which was the most interesting part I think. Don't choose a topic that consumes too much time, otherwise you can't finish it within 10 min. Practice the presentation beforehand and think about whether your audience can follow you. I messed up on this part, but I really enjoyed other people's teaching.

Overall my experience was positive. Factset is a professional company with very good culture and people. The assessors are current consultants and managers, and they are very patient in answering any questions. Drinks and refreshments were provided.

After the AC there will be a final round interview with managers. As I didn't do well in the AC I probably would give another try next year. The process was quite efficient after the closing date.

Interview Questions

• Who are the competitors of FactSet?   2 Answers

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

Interview

I applied online, got an invitation to the finance and numerical tests both of which I passed and in the latter I was invited to an interview. The interviewer was so kind and relaxed and made me feel comfortable while asking some competency based questions and financial ones.Make sure you know the difference between investment management investment banking and fixed income. Also brush up on some other financial knowledge such as solutions for Mergers and Acquisition.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why this position? Why Factset?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Great

Graduate Consultant Interview

Interview

1) Online Form + CV & Cover Letter
    2) Numeracy + Finance Tests- Quite easy, just brush up on mental maths and knowledge of the stock exchange in different countries (also indexes in the stock exchange).
    3) 30 Minute Video Interview
    4) Assessment Centre- Icebreaker, Excel Test, Factset Test, Microteach

Interview Questions

• Why Factset?

Who are FactSet Competitors?

How will you use FactSet workstation to help with a Merger & Acquisition

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I was first asked to complete an online Numerical and Finance test. The test was pretty straightforward and relatively easy. I was then invited to a video interview, which went quite well. The interview was professional and laid-back, and asked fairly standard questions regarding my academic background, my favourite modules, and why I wanted to work for FactSet.
    Make sure to prepare thoroughly by researching FactSet's products and competitors as the interviewer seemed put a lot of weight on these types of questions. You may struggle if you have no previous financial knowledge, so brushing up on finance terms and formulas would definitely help.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Investment Banking, Investment Management, and Fixed Income?
      How/why would these clients use the FactSet platform?
      Why FactSet and not one of our competitors?
      How does FactSet differ from its competitors?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Submitted a CV and cover letter. Was asked to complete one numerical test and one finance test, each of which were timed 30 minutes. Numerical involved some simple algebra, a lot of reading charts and graphs and compound interest. Financial involved mostly testing of financial vocabulary. Then had a 30 minute Skype interview with HR person. She was very sweet and reassuring, and the time passed by quite quickly. I anticipated all of the questions she asked, as they're all listed on this website (didn't get any that aren't on the website), but at the end of the day I think it was my complete lack of financial experience that didn't allow me to get through. I can't see what else it was because I had the right answer to all of the questions, from general to company related to competences. I tried phoning for feedback several times after I received the rejection, but it always rang and then just went through to answer phone.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any financial experience?
      Who are FactSet's competitors? What is the difference between FactSet and them?

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at FactSet (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2016.

Interview

Need to complete 2 online tests first, each takes 30 min. The numeracy test is not hard but finance test needs some basic knowledge of finance sector. Then a 30-min video interview asking about why you choose FactSet and why this role. There are also questions related to your study and work experience.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Interview

Assesment centre concisted of Excel Test, 10 minute presentation, networking session.

The Excel test required conditional formatting eg highlight cells with value greater than 1. Also knowledge of vlookup function and freeze pane and standard deviation, min, max average functions. They use an old version of Excel I think it was 2010. You basically have to do some calculations on financial data, but you are told how each field should be calculated.

The 10 minute presentation was a microteaching session where you are given 10 minutes to teach the room something, eg how to play air guitar. emphasis is on involving the audience using props and no powerpoint is allowed.

The networking session consists of talking to current consultants. This comes at the end when lunch is being served and they give you this impression this is just a relaxed chat that isnt part of the recruitment process. This couldn't be further from the truth. This is probably the most important part of the assesment. I was talking to one of the consultant and they said that they don't really care about your Excel skills etc what they really care about is your personality and how well they think you will fit in. Basically, whether you succeed in the assesment centre depends on how much the three or four consultants (mainly 20-30 yr old white males) like you based on the networking session.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

1) online application with questions about the consultant role and FactSet.
    2) online tests: rather simple, especially if you have a mathematical/financial background. No need to rush as there is plenty of time to complete them. No tricky questions, use pure logic.
    3) video interview: pretty standard. Sandra, the interviewer, was lovely and will make you feel yourself at ease. It usually starts with plain competency-based questions and follow through with some technical questions about IB and IM.
    4) AC:
    ● First, a game where you are asked, in turn, to provide 2 statements. One false and the other true. By asking questions to whoever made the 2 statements you have to identify which of the 2 statements is false or true - I am not sure if you are assessed on that, it might be a simple ice breaker.
    ● Software test - 10 questions to complete in 20 mins, after a 20 mins tutorial on variuos functions of the software - personally, I found this very difficult so I recommend to make sure you have at least a basic knowledge of the platform, prior to the AC.
    ● Excel test - no worries if you are an average user. Some conditional formatting and if/ functions.
    ● Time to speak with current consultants and asked them questions - you are not assessed during this time.
    ● Group discussion - you are given a sheet with daily routines to prioritise - depends on the other candidates, but be prepared for fierce competition to stand out and lead the conversation.
    ● Microteach - be sure you are passionate about the topic (spend some time to select the right one) as it will come through, rehearse over and over again until you are confident.

All in all, I enjoy myself throughout all the process. I am impressed by the professionalism demonstrated by FactSet and would like to confirm its reputation. I received an accurate feedback highlighting where I scored badly in some tasks – something I do not take for granted even among the most prominent companies.
    I might give it another go next year as I believe FactSet to be a great place with an inclusive work environment and great people to work with.

Interview Questions

• What kind of data would someone working in IB/IM look for in FactSet software?   2 Answers