Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2017

1.9

Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a pretty long and tedious process from phone interviews with HR, and big wigs from Merchandising and planning management via phone and in person interviews in their corporate HQ. Than came personality testing, drug testing, and rigorous reference checks. I got an offer but declined BC an overseas opportunity presented itself. I felt like I was going to work for the CIA.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating besides vacation and sign on bonus

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Quincy, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

store manager was just promoted, had no clue how to conduct the hiring process, the questions he was supposed to ask me he just told me to fill in the blanks,he asked me nothing,told me nothing, then said i was fired when i couldnt start when he wanted me to. he def needs to be trained for the store manager position

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

Interview. Was more like a interogation

Interview Questions

• They wanted a resume with more then 10years experience   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in July 2010.

Interview

reviewed sales ,losses hiring and training

Technical Architect Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in September 2009.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter. Initial questions were about job stability. Once we got over that, recruiter setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Initial call was supposed to be 30 minutes or so. Spoke for about an hour. Questions were too conceptual for a phone interview. Situations were so vague that I felt like I was being asked to teach architectural principles. I know early on that there was no chance. If I had been offered I could not have worked for them. Advised recruiter when they called to inform me I was not being considered of the oddities of the interview and I was told that I was not the first. Since then other technical positions have opened up but I am sure from the interviewer's perspective I am an idiot, so I most likely will never pursue any positions with them in the future. My issue to be clear is not with FDS, but the specific personality and architecture is what I really want to do.

Interview Questions

• You are asked to review a new technology. How do you decide if you will recommed it?   1 Answer

Replenishment Buyer/Allocator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC).

Interview

I would like to recommend changes to the interview process. A second phone interview by a manager is needed in order to avoid wasted time for both parties. I experienced a bad interview with family dollar. A couple members of management were bothered because my experience was not equivalent to retail. A certain red head senior manager was horrible and immature displaying frequent eye rolls, scoffs, and behavior to try to belittle me. As a fellow human being, you should always show respect and display pleasant behavior no matter what your status is within a company. After all, your not curing cancer by any means. Showing common courtesy should be part of the company's profile. I feel like you should interview someone respectfully and simply not contact them for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Family Dollar?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Tell me about yourself
      1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Paris, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Was interviewed on phone by regional vp. The person was very professional and supportive. The interview that was done in person was done by a dm. The person that did the interview was not prepared and was very hostile. I turned down the job because of this person.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I thought I was capable of doing the job.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Long process, had 5 interviews total and the process took over 5 weeks. It was hard to get a hold of people to get an update.Long process, had 5 interviews total and the process took over 5 weeks. It was hard to get a hold of people to get an update.Long process, had 5 interviews total and the process took over 5 weeks. It was hard to get a hold of people to get an update.

Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Memphis, TN) in September 2014.

Interview

the manger got mad at me when I didn't pass my drug test after I told him I was going to fail it he asked me who I was hanging around as if he was the police or something he asked did I watch football I said no then he asked did I smoke I said yes then he got mad I don't know why

Regional Loss Prevention Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Memphis, AR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (West Memphis, AR).

Interview

The initial interview was lengthy and detailed. Several follow-up interviews were conducted with Store Ops leadership and LP leadership. Now they also include a company recruiter for conducting most initial interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience with inventory shortage and involvement with internal theft cases.   2 Answers

Negotiation

The job offer was fair and we were able to negotiate a reason relocation package.