Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions in Matthews, NC | Glassdoor

Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions in Matthews, NC

Interviews at Family Dollar Stores

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC).

Interview

I applied and received an email a few days later to have a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Invited back for face-to-face and that was with five people. It lasted around two hours. Offer was made a week later. Human Resource communicated all the steps and processes. One of the most organized interviews I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Family Dollar?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in November 2009.

Interview

Interviewer was very pleasant and had an overall phone demeanor that put the interviewee at ease. The questions asked seemed to be very relevant to the position and there were no apparent curve balls. The interviewer requested information concerning past experiences related to certain skills.

Interview Questions

• Describe your past experiences with and/or knowledge of computer programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty generic process with HR. Went through a basic screening with HR and then did interviews with a few individuals. Not much else that I can add to this. Glass door wants to have at least 50 words for this. They want to have at least 50 words. They want to have at least 50 words.

Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a pretty long and tedious process from phone interviews with HR, and big wigs from Merchandising and planning management via phone and in person interviews in their corporate HQ. Than came personality testing, drug testing, and rigorous reference checks. I got an offer but declined BC an overseas opportunity presented itself. I felt like I was going to work for the CIA.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating besides vacation and sign on bonus

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC).

Interview

I received a phone call from their corporate recruiter after applying online. She was very pointed and asked several questions, fairly thorough. Mostly about whether I had visited one of their stores, what I was looking for in my next position, what my salary requirements were, etc.

After passing the initial phone screen, I was granted a "technical" interview with one of their engineers. It was fairly simple, just a combing over for half an hour through my resume to determine if I was completely full of it. The interviewer was extremely talkative so it didn't end up amounting to a very thorough screening, but nonetheless I passed.

They flew me out to Charlotte and put me up in a hotel near Matthews, NC where their HQ is. I also received a rental car. It was a bit late by the time I got in, probably midnight, and I had to be in for the interviews at 8 am. Fun.

Upon arrival, I met the recruiter, and was placed in a room for the interviews. The first interview was fairly simple, mostly just a recital of my resume and an interview for culture fit. After that, there were two technical interviews. The first of which being easier, conducted with one of their Sr. Engineers. The questions were somewhat mid Network Engineer level, with questions about specific points on my resume. There was a fair amount of discussion about Type A personalities (something I should have apparently done some reading on prior to the interview, because it held weight with multiple members of their staff), where most of the current networking staff is Type A and therefore something they are looking for in a candidate.

The second technical interview was quite difficult. They clearly had reviewed my resume and tried to find areas that I was potentially weak and probed questions about those topics. The position is primarily a route/switch/F5/security position. Quite a few questions about F5/Firewalls/Security.

The last several interviews were with the Network managers and IT management. Very nice guys and former engineers. Mostly a cultural interview with questions about whether I was prepared to work on a network that would leave me responsible for a Fortune 500 company, with a couple of hours downtime leading in excess of $1M loss.

They joined me for lunch and paid. Then I was off.

Interview Questions

• Describe the SSL communications between a server and a host's web browser.

Name 3 different load balancing methods on an F5 load balancer virtual server.

Are you a type A personality?

Do you have any experience with BGP?

Draw out a L3 network diagram of your current works' network (focused on OSPF).

Why do you use OSPF and not EIGRP?

Describe the technical differences between TACACS+ and RADIUS.

There was also quite a bit of discussion about BYOD & IPv6.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in April 2013.

Interview

Typical hiring process. I was contacted by recruiter to conduct a in-person interview. Interview was very standard personality assessment and they did not ask me a single technical question.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind working up until 2am and holidays including Christmas?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC).

Interview

The initial contact was a phone interview where the basic questions were asked (mostly behavioral). After moving to the next round, which was the in-person interview, I was given a "case study." The case study was a 1 page (front and back) quiz on inventory management. The questions were fairly basic (i.e. calculating profit or loss, gross margin, discouts, etc). The next step was 3 rounds of interviews, each with 2 or 3 people. They were all very similar yet each group had it's own questions. The questions mostly dealt with analytical/managerial experiences. I found the interviewers responded well to personal stories and experiences. I walked through my resume and fielded questions as I went along. I was able to ask questions in return. In all, it lasted about 2.5 hours.

It was a great experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation needed

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC).

Interview

Found job from university career services posting, submitted resume, and was emailed to set up phone screening. Phone screening was very basic/easy behavioral. At the end of the phone interview she invited me to the next round at the corporate office. Before the on-site day, I had to take a lengthy personality test and complete paperwork, Then they scheduled an on-site day which consisted of 4, 30-min interviews with a total of 11 people and a case study. Not as daunting as it sounds. The case study was first.. very basic retail math like what is 15% off of $25. The last problem took the most time. They gave a small sample of sales/inventory data and you to allocate a limited amount of products to different stores, then explain your logic. All the interviewers asked the same questions which made it easier. Run through your resume, talk about analytical work, team work, all basic interview stuff.

Interview Questions

• What is an area your previous employer would say you could improve in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was the first part of the process. Easy behavioral types of questions done by the recruiter. After the phone screening you will be prompted to go in for an in person interview. Before the interview you take a case study which is basic inventory questions. The interview is 2.5 hours long with about 10 different employees interviewing you in a panel interview. The 10 people were split up into groups of 2 to 3 and asked the same questions behavioral/ analytical scenarios. The questions asked were not hard. However, the interviewers, current employees in the position, were very unfriendly and condescending during the interview. The most negative interview I have ever experienced due to the interviewers and their behavior. They acted as if they were God's gift to the world and their job was superior to everyone elses. I would never recommend this company or at least this concentrated area to anyone.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Matthews, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Matthews, NC) in May 2007.

Interview

VERY CONSERTIVE, hiring manager much more laid back than the HR recruiter, personality profile was bizarre.

Interview Questions

• discuss less than ideal circumstances you were able to produce a positive outcome   Answer Question

Negotiation

No neogations necessary