Family Video Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.8

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cashier Interview

Interview

Weirdest process ever. They made me take a standardized test, which I passed, and then interview with the district manager. She asked a lot of questions about my parents and then told me that I didn't have enough energy.

Interview Questions

• Where did your parents go to college?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Interview

Open interview day, I had applied a week previously so they had my app already. Sat down with a store manager, asked basic questions about attitude, customer service, moral situations. He then gave me a timed aptitude test. I passed and sat down for a second interview with a district manager, talked about pay and when I could start training. Took a little over an hour all together. No drug test or background check.

Interview Questions

• How would those closest to you describe you? Positive and negative.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video in May 2017.

Interview

Very unprofessional, forgot about me during and open interview time and straight up told their co worker that they didn't want to interview me because I had not graduated high school yet. When the process finally began the interviewer lead with "so did you graduate high school" and then proceeded to keep asking me the same questions over and over again. Just terrible. Told I would be called back the next day and never was.

Interview Questions

• did you graduate from high school?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Olathe, KS) in January 2014.

Interview

Not very formal. They just ask you to come in and they have chairs in the middle of the floor of the room and ask you questions. As long as you dress formally and able to answer questions, the job is yours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webb City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Webb City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

Arrived at interview , was asked to wait a few mintues by person at front desk , after 5 minutes , was the called to front desk , where she was going to conduct interview between customers , as she was the only one working , I would have been in the store for no longer than 15 minutes and about 80% of that she was busy with customers ... I understand she was busy but why not have someone there to run store while you did interviews .. Next interview was 15 mintues after mine ...she said she was sorry but the interview would be quick due to bad weather and everyone wanting videos , that i understand , but she was only giving herself 15 mintues per interview anyway ... would have to say it was the worst conducted interview ever

Interview Questions

• The only question I got asked was what do I do in my spare time ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Portage, WI) in November 2012.

Interview

I had filled out numerous job applications in person and never got a call back. I finally gave online applications a try with and applied through my local Family Video. I had gotten a call back just a few short days later. The store manager was very friendly over the phone and had asked why I was interested in working for their company and why I was trying to get away from the medical field like I had stated on the application. So I went in the next day for an interview, the manager was running ten minutes late so I had to sit in the parking lot and wait for him to come open the store. Then the interview lasted about ten minutes. He asked why I like movies and who is my biggest mentor and why. I had explained everything and it went as what I had considered to be a great interview even though it was in an isle in the video store. At the end of the interview, he had asked me to come in the next day to take an "easy" test. This test was not "easy" as he had called it. The test was timed, and had expected you to know outrageous math problems and different kinds of math problems. Percentages, fragtions, powers, rounding, story problems, long division, multiplicaton, subraction and addition. Not to mention there was also a reading portion where they test you on how well you comprehend a story problem as well as alphabatizing and knowing synonmys. It was a little ridiculous with the fact that it was all timed to the point where you wouldn't even have enought time to finish all the problems if you are a slower reader or a little bit slower with math. You sit right up at the front desk and take the test. I knew when I was leaving that I had failed and that you had needed a 70% to pass. I never knew you had to be a genious to work at a video store as a cashier. All I know is that, I was not suprised when the manager called and had left me a voicemail stating that I did not do well enough on the math portion to get a position with them. I personally think its a little ridiculous that they expect you to be that efficient with some of the math. I am wonderful with the public, have worked as a CNA and waitress and am great with money. However, I think they are looking for people that are just finsihing high school or are in college because I have not done that kind of math in over 7 years and everyone I had talked to even agreed they cant do those kinds of math equations without a calculator. Really expected a little more from Family Video.

Interview Questions

• Who is your biggest mentor in life and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marquette, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Marquette, MI) in September 2011.

Interview

After I applied online, I was contacted within two weeks for a preliminary interview. They start the interview process by bringing applicants in for a brief, five-minute interview. My interview was scheduled for a time when the manager running the store alone, so my interview was repeatedly interrupted by customers.

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video (Frisco, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

The Family Video interview process is an interesting one. First, the store manager will interview you for about 10 minutes and just talk about things like why you want the job. Then they let you go. If they liked you, you will get a call to come back and complete a test which consists of math, spelling and reasoning questions. Finally, if you are over 70 percent proficient on the test you will be interviewed by the district manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wapakoneta, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Wapakoneta, OH) in May 2011.

Interview

I think that this was the biggest JOKE!!!!! I had plenty of video retail experience working for their competitors and their district manager had me come in for an interview which turned out to be a training excercise for another emplyee. After the interview i vowed that i would never set foot in another family video and never have....i hope they all close!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Employee in Willmar, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Willmar, MN) in May 2010.

Interview

There was an incredibly tough interview process. An initial interview with the store manager, a test that was remarkable similar to that of an ACT or SAT. IT was much more difficult than needed. And finally there was an interview with the district manager. For simply filling a summer position the interview process was pretty intense.

Interview Questions

• Take the square root of a four digit number.   1 Answer