Family Video Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Family Video Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Defiance, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Defiance, OH).

Interview

The interview was typical and extremely relaxed. We just stood between some of the aisles and the manager asked me easy questions about my personality and past experiences.

The second part of the interview was an extremely hard timed test. There were over 3 sections on this test and the largest amount of time you had was 5 minutes. There was two math portions where you could not use a calculator. As a high-school student this test was harder to me than the SAT. You also had to take the test in the middle of the store with all the distractions around you.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest thing to handle in your life and how has that changed you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video (Zanesville, OH) in August 2015.

Interview

Short, easy and fast. I sent in my application online on a Friday, got called on Monday for an interview. Did the interview one on one at the store on a Wednesday and got told on that Friday they were going with other applicants. Manager was very nice during the interview and we had a good talk he just didn't feel I was right for the position, but nobody I know of that interviewed that week got hired.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What would you say is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Who is your person hero, the person in your life you look up to?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to deal with something in your life not going as expected?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in July 2015.

Interview

This was a long process, 2 weeks start to finish. Interviewed with store manager, which was fairly relaxed and easy, and was then asked to set up for the proficiency test the next day. Test covers math and organization and reading comprehension and spelling. I found most of the test easy but struggled with the math. It was math that should be learned in 6th-7th grade so refresh on decimals and adding, subtracting, multiplying fractions. It is timed so do not spend too long on any one question. Learned after 4 days that I passed and 2 days later was set up with the district manager. When I arrived for this interview I was surprised and met with 2 people higher up than the district manager for my final interview. Was a bit more structured but still didn't feel too overall difficult. However in the end I did not receive a job offer. Still an overall good experience though. Taught me a lot about interviewing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Columbus, IN).

Interview

I applied online, I interviewed in store out front. I took a written test out front. The manager interiewing you will need to wait on customers as they are interviewing you. The test is one point each, so do not spend time on the long multiplication problem. Leave it to last. Doing something that takes time caust you a point expecially if you could have dont three by skipping something. Study your math. 70.00 less 20%. The boxed area of math is very time comsuming. Not alot of math but seems to weigh more than other tests. If you can not find the wrong number move on to the next one. So I missed getting the job by 5 points. Part-time is 70%. I had a great interview. You may reapply in 6 months, but they switch out new test each 6 months.

Interview Questions

• The box area is not sudoko as they say. It is across and over addition to find the wrong number in the box. Three numbers like 6,4,2 =12 or 6,4,3 = 14 So the wrong number is 3. This takes time, find it or move to the next box. Best achivement and turing point in your life. Just be positive.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burton, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Burton, MI) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a week later to schedule an interview. I arrived 15 minutes early (just to be safe) and I had to walk around the store for a bit before she was ready to do the interview. When she was finally ready I was surprised to see that another girl was going to be present for the interview. It didn't bother me though as they both seemed nice. We went into one of the movie isles and began the very informal interview. I was asked why I wanted to work there, what my favorite movie was, what my former jobs were, if I was currently employed, what I was going to school for, and what else I liked to do besides watching movies. I also asked both women a few questions. Everything seemed to go great. They were very friendly and said they had a few more interviews and would be doing callbacks later in the day. Contrary to how I felt the interview went, I did not receive a call later that day (or the next). As I said, everything seemed great (friendly conversation with lots of laughs) so I'm not sure why I didn't get a call. It would have been nice to get a call even if they weren't continuing the hiring process just so I could know. This was my second interview with Family Video (the first being several years ago) and even though they were very simple and laid-back, I have to say that I'm disappointed with both experiences overall.

Interview Questions

• They were all very simple and personal questions. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2014.

Interview

Went into store and filled out an application and then was scheduled for an interview later that week. 2 days later had the interview. It lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was asked about my customer service skills and why I wanted to work for them. It seemed like I really hit it off with the manager. I was told that I would be called by 5pm the next day if they were interested in me. I was also told that the next step would be an assessment and interview with district manager.

Interview Questions

• Just behavior questions inquiring about how you handle customers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Youngstown, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Youngstown, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

My first interview was at the front checkout desk, was very simple and easy. I was invited to take a "test" that was said to contain some math. When I arrived to take the test I was sat down in the open amongst the customers browsing and was timed for each section about 4-5 minutes. Most of the questions on the test are not overtly difficult but virtually needless in comparison to the needed so-called skill set to checkout videos. I passed the test and was offered a 2nd interview which I thought was tentative to being hired. The interview was given out in front of the store, which is a strange venue to say the least to conduct any interview. It went well, the majority of the subject matter was based on my experiences and what I thought about family video and why I would like to work there. The process in general was pretty unprofessional which is ironic because of the test involved. I awaited for a call for a week and contacted the store myself. Was told ,'you were not mentioned to me, so he must be persuing another candidate..." I have an Associates degree in IT, I'm working on my business management degree and I'm very outgoing and personable. I was a referral also so... If I can't land the job, what the hell do they want? Come on...

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you want to work for Family Video?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rhinelander, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Rhinelander, WI) in February 2013.

Interview

The interviewer was extremely unprofessional and rude. When I arrived, there was another gentleman that she had scheduled for an interview at the same time. She told him to wait by the front desk for his turn while she interviewed me. She took me back to the video game area and proceeded to interview me in front of customers while we were standing. I'm pretty sure some of the questions she asked me were illegal. She was asking me very personal things about who I live with, family, and whether or not I get along with them. I fumbled my way through these questions because I was just so shocked by what she was asking. At the end, she said she would "pass" on me because I wasn't enthusiastic enough. It's hard to be enthusiastic when someone is so unprofessional and rude!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Galloway, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Galloway, OH) in January 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed by one guy and (I think) the district manager was there as well so she sat in. They were both very nice, very cool people. I was led to a corner of the store to do the interview. Thankfully it was slow at the time. He asked me to describe my family, which I did, but I think I lost him when I told him my mother had died. I tried to spin it into a silver-lining type thing (her death made me a stronger person, etc) but it was all down hill from there.

Some other questions I was asked:

What are your interests and hobbies?

If your best friend walked in right now, how would they describe you?

Name an event that unexpectedly changed your life for the better. Who is your hero or mentor?

Who is your hero or mentor?

Where do you see your self in five years?

I was told they were "a tight-nit team and I wouldn't be a good fit." and that I was " little too socially awkward and they needed someone more outgoing. A risk-taker." He wasn't confident I would be able to handle customers and the inventory. No sugar-coating there. I'm thankful they were upfront about me not getting the job and that they didn't drag me along, but they could have been a little less blunt about why.

Interview Questions

• Name an event that unexpectedly changed your life for the better.   1 Answer
    • If your best friend walked in right now, how would they describe you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Zanesville, OH) in December 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about a week later. They asked me to come in on Friday for an interview, and of course I showed up. The manager took me to one of the aisles and he asked what I thought about the current job I have and what I do there. He asked about my social life, if I had any family/friends and what I like to do. He asked about my future goals and I plan to go back to school. The conversation was very short and casual, but at no point did he ask me about skills I may have related to the job, and he told me at the end that my lack of cash register experience was a "game stopper" for me. They normally expect people with more experience, such as bank tellers, to apply. I thought it was a shame, because I could have easily learned how to operate the register (I've just never had another job where I used one before) if they just pointed out what to do. Obviously, he just didn't have any interest in training someone and/or Family Video doesn't do training in general. I've worked in other areas of customer service and I think I would have made a wonderful employee, and I would have loved working with movies and video games more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• I found it more unexpected that he didn't ask about anything regarding the job itself. Usually, I'm asked what skills I possess, what I'd be interested in doing/learning for the job, if I can handle such-and-such tasks, etc., but none of this ever came up.   Answer Question