Family Video MIT (Manager In Training) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Family Video MIT (Manager In Training) Interview Questions

2.5

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in September 2015.

Interview

Filled out an application, called me the same day. Set up an interview about four days from the initial call at 9pm because of schedule conflicts. Initial was about 15 minutes long, two people on staff and quick because it was the weekend. We schedule the test about a week later. Test was honestly easy, it is cumulative so just answer as much as you can. There was a compare names and addresses section, some weird math rubric I still don't understand, math, comprehension couple more. Don't over think it, it's Family Video.

Got a call same day, I passed. Scheduled my district manager meeting next day. Up to this point it was fine. I get it, the store is on a budget. Meetings were on the sales floor, and during the test the manager on duty came back and forth between customers. Up to this point, although the employees seemed frazzled they were pleasant. I did my research on Family Video, ready for a good formal interview. The district manager starts with, "tell me about yourself." Okay, all fine and good. Asks favorite movies, gives a scenario where a rental is out what I would do and why I want to work at Family Video. We talked about horror movies in depth, and I thought the fact that I could hold a conversation and my prior experience would out shine. That was about the extent of the interview.

She did ask if I had any questions. Honestly, it is a video store how hard could it be? I did ask her a little bit about herself, but otherwise everything else had already been answered. She was nice, but couldn't make eye contact and seemed to go through the motions without really caring. Like this was her tenth interview today and she was just tired and bored with it. Frankly not sure how happy this woman really was after 16+ years, so maybe for the best I didn't get a call back. Maybe I didn't show enough interest, like I was destined to rent movies for the rest of my life? I was excited about the opportunity though. Either way, for a minimal salary and 50+ hours a week of work maybe it was for the best.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Employee in Park Forest, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Park Forest, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Extensive but worth it. I would say you have to know about the company. A bit much. I had three interviews plus the panel. I don't have much more to say

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in April 2015.

Interview

Easy. They look for personality and don't give two hoots about your qualifications. They ask illegal questions. But they're not super invasive ones. You have a store manager interview then district then regional. All very easy, all very unethcial. For a company that claims a family oriented atmosphere. It's the farthest thing from it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburg, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video (Pittsburg, KS) in April 2015.

Interview

You sit in the middle of the open store and have an interview with customers trying to get around you to look for movies. Very unprofessional. It makes it hard to focus on the interview and then you have to take a test to see if you basically know your ABC's.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got a call with in the week. Was met by store manager and another manager. Interview was conducted in video game area. Lasted about ten mins. Was told that the mit trains so you can mange your own store, there was no promise of managing local store.

Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Taylor, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through indeed took a week to get a call back for an interview. I came in they asked me a few short questions about my personal life and Family.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate pay.

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Tonawanda, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Meet with store manager. If you pass that you have to take a test based on math and english skils. If you pass you move on to an interview with the District manager, then Regional manager. Each asks the same questions to make sure you were honest during previous interview

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in September 2014.

Interview

This process was a lot longer than expected and a lot more in-depth than any other professional interview I have had. They are looking for personalities. I did come in with a lot of customer service and management experience. They were more interested in what I liked to do in my free time.
    Overall I was interviewed 5 times by four different people. First I met an MIT because the store manager who was supposed to interview me was with another applicant running long. I came back to do their timed reading comprehension and math based test. The store manager wanted to meet with me. Then I interviewed with the District manager. From there I met the regional manager for lunch and then one more time a little later again that week and a second MIT interview me (this was practice for her I bet).
    Most of the questions were very similar asking about my hobbies, what I would like to achieve, etc?

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest turning point in your life?
      What is your greatest achievement?
      What are your hobbies?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Tulsa, OK) in July 2014.

Interview

I attended a group interview posted on a store billboard. Why not? The billboard said, "Hiring managers. No experience needed. Just smiles". I was the only intelligent one among the group, as I replied to the questions with professional, intelligent responses. The universal question, "Why do you want to work here?" was a breeze, of course. One girl responded with, "I like movies". Seriously? Why are you even here? As I shook the manager's hand, she said she'd call us back by 5 pm the next day. I received a call within 15 minutes of leaving the store. That was promising! They scheduled a testing session for me two days later. The test was difficult, requiring a comprehensive knowledge of college math. I understand being a manager should require more than a GED, but goodness, they were expecting high standards. I passed, interestingly enough, and they scheduled a third interview with the district managers two days later. I had to drive 40 minutes to meet the manager. That was inconvenient, but okay. Very nice lady, but as I finally got to ask the questions I needed, I realized something. This company was hiding some important facts. She basically told me that it would be extremely difficult to become a store manager anytime soon if I wasn't relocatable to anywhere in the United States. Seriously? I have a life, family, obligations. I can't just up and move anytime you want for 30,000 a year. I don't think so. Also, they wanted me to commute 30 minutes each direction a day. Assistant managers only make 11 dollars an hour and work the 44 hours minimum a week. I don't think so. I'm going to continue college so I don't have to work my butt off for barely above minimum wage.

Interview Questions

• None of the interview question were difficult. The test was, however.   Answer Question

This company wasn't up front about their expectations. I wasn't about to commute an hour a day for a minimum wage job with incredibly bad hours.

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Initial interview with a store manager asks basic questions about your home life, personal and professional goals. A test is given that is actually a bit of a challenge as it is timed and within the chaotic store. A second interview with a district manager does the same and then a third interview is offered with the regional manager who will ask slightly more difficult questions but no real curve balls.

Interview Questions

• I was coming from the non-profit sector into Family video and they asked me why I thought I would be successful in the private sector after having spent time in non-profits. They continued the question to ask if I would feel fulfilled.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They start everyone within the same base salary range below 30K