Family Video Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 13, 2017

2.6

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Paris, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The first interview was great, we talked for a while it was less like an interview and just getting to know me. When I went back for the assessment it was simple aside from the math, it's been years and I was not allowed to use a calculator. The math was the only part I failed and the total score was 66 or 67% and I can't retake for 3 months.. I read online at some stores they let you move on with a 60 or 63%. I really like that store and this really upsets me

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

3-day process: Initial interview > Clerical Test > Final Interview. Failing at any stage is grounds for a no-hire. Many people who don't get hired fail at the clerical test phase. While some may gripe that it's "stupid" to do math questions for a video store, the clerical test is NOT to see if you can figure out what the square root of 4489 is (such a question is on the test) -- it's to see what you do when faced with a task that you don't know how to do. Do you get stuck trying to do that question, or do you move on to questions that you can do? A lot of the test translates to the work at Family Video, directly and indirectly. Essentially, how much can you achieve in a short amount of time? If you fail the test, you probably won't excel at your job, as frivolous as it may seem.

Interview Questions

• Who is one mentor in your life that you go to for help & advice?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video (Detroit, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was 3 parts. The first part was with the store manager, which was a relatively simple interview with basic questions. We stood near the counter and the manager occasionally paused the interview to help customers. The second part was the aptitude test, which I didn't find that difficult. I was given a calculator, but based on what I read here before the interview I did not think they would give me one. With a calculator the math section was simple, and the rest of the sections were very easy. The third part was an interview with the district manager, which was basically the same interview as the first but with someone else. Both interviews were simple and did not take long, and as long as you be yourself and give good answers you'll be fine.

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Called next day for interview. Interview was basically just chit chat about life and get to know you type questions from the manager. This happened at the front counter while the manager worked. Asked to come back 4 days later to take a test. Taking the test was an awful experience.

I had to sit in a broke fold out clothe chair at the front desk, there was a line of customers as the manager was the only employee in store. Some kids in line even started trying to ask me for help while I was taking the timed test.

The test was pretty easy except for the math. I've been employed in a professional office for 10yrs, I was applying here for part time night work as I get off from my main job at 1pm. My main job has a salary that pays more than the store manager at this location makes. I state all of that because the math on the test is so irrelevant to everyday life.

They don't give you a calculator but give you a 3 minute time limit to do division, multiplication of fractions and percentages all while dealing with the distractions inside the store. If they are going to require math that has nothing to do with video store work they need to provide a quiet place in which to do it instead of a chair and clipboard in the middle of the store.

When it was all said and done the manager took my test and said she would grade it and call me back. I figured I failed it due to the 3 sections of math and time limits. It's been 14 days now and I still haven't received a call back. A call would have at least been courtesy, especially since after my interview the manager told me she loved me and definitely wanted me working there.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Anderson, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

It was brief and I was called back within 20 minutes to take the test, and another 20 minutes after the test I got the job. I am now working towards management. I love my job, I recommend trying to apply.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year career goal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

I heard from them approximately a week after I submitted my application online. I had a short 5-minute meet and greet with the store manager before I got a call back to take a simple test which derived of just some simple math, alphabet, and spelling. After I passed, I was called back to have an interview with the District Manager. All in all took approximately a little over 2 weeks for the whole process.

Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Green Bay, WI).

Interview

Had to meet multiple times throughout the interview process. Twice with the manager of the store, then once with the district manager. After that, I had to schedule a test that I had to take that included roughly nine parts. This test had things like mental math and alphabetizing. All parts were timed so you only got a few minutes per section to complete it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Defiance, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Defiance, OH).

Interview

The interview was typical and extremely relaxed. We just stood between some of the aisles and the manager asked me easy questions about my personality and past experiences.

The second part of the interview was an extremely hard timed test. There were over 3 sections on this test and the largest amount of time you had was 5 minutes. There was two math portions where you could not use a calculator. As a high-school student this test was harder to me than the SAT. You also had to take the test in the middle of the store with all the distractions around you.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest thing to handle in your life and how has that changed you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Open interviews. I brought in my application and was interviewed on the spot in the store. Originally I was interviewed by the store manager and then after interviewing with him I immediately was introduced to and interviewed by the District Manager.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

After application was submitted I was contacted for an in person interview with the store manager. If the manager feels you are qualified you will take an abilities test (math, organizational, and company history). Depending on the results of the test, the manager will tell you that an interview with a regional manager will have to be scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview type questions: strengths, weaknesses, how do you handle certain customer situations. I was asked who was my biggest inspiration and turning point in life and how that can be applied to working for Family Video. Found that question a bit odd, especially for a sales position.   Answer Question