Family Video Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Family Video Interview Questions

Updated Feb 3, 2017

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

I had 3 interviews and a test. It's pretty ridiculous to work at a video rental store. Test had several parts like math, spelling, etc. all tests were timed. They really try to get to know you which was nice. They ask about your family and other personal questions. I liked that because if you do get the job then you start off knowing each other more than the average job.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of situational questions. Like "how would you react to an angry customer?"   Answer Question

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in September 2015.

Interview

Filled out an application, called me the same day. Set up an interview about four days from the initial call at 9pm because of schedule conflicts. Initial was about 15 minutes long, two people on staff and quick because it was the weekend. We schedule the test about a week later. Test was honestly easy, it is cumulative so just answer as much as you can. There was a compare names and addresses section, some weird math rubric I still don't understand, math, comprehension couple more. Don't over think it, it's Family Video.

Got a call same day, I passed. Scheduled my district manager meeting next day. Up to this point it was fine. I get it, the store is on a budget. Meetings were on the sales floor, and during the test the manager on duty came back and forth between customers. Up to this point, although the employees seemed frazzled they were pleasant. I did my research on Family Video, ready for a good formal interview. The district manager starts with, "tell me about yourself." Okay, all fine and good. Asks favorite movies, gives a scenario where a rental is out what I would do and why I want to work at Family Video. We talked about horror movies in depth, and I thought the fact that I could hold a conversation and my prior experience would out shine. That was about the extent of the interview.

She did ask if I had any questions. Honestly, it is a video store how hard could it be? I did ask her a little bit about herself, but otherwise everything else had already been answered. She was nice, but couldn't make eye contact and seemed to go through the motions without really caring. Like this was her tenth interview today and she was just tired and bored with it. Frankly not sure how happy this woman really was after 16+ years, so maybe for the best I didn't get a call back. Maybe I didn't show enough interest, like I was destined to rent movies for the rest of my life? I was excited about the opportunity though. Either way, for a minimal salary and 50+ hours a week of work maybe it was for the best.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in September 2015.

Interview

One interview with the store manager, had to come back a week later to take a test, and after that came back a week or so later to interview with the district manager. For the test, you should know commonly misspelled words, how to alphabetize, reading comprehension, and basic math.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Fast, direct conversation. Interviewers were nice. Attended an open interview session as and spoke with a CSR as well as a manager. An assessment followed (test) that had multiple times sections. After that you meet with the hiring District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Discussed my education, goals, hobbies, and work experience, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pat time position. Rate was non negotiable.

Full Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olean, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Olean, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied on a computer in store,
    Then called, came back in for an interview, took a mildly lengthy test involving math and alphabatizing which was timed. Since I passed I got an interview with store manager and then the district manager.
    The training was drug out though, my first week I only had 2 hours. The next I only had 6, it progresses more and more hours though

Interview Questions

• A)What is your favorite movie
      B)What kind of hobbies do you have
      C)What made you apply here
      1 Answer

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Lexington, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (New Lexington, OH) in August 2015.

Interview

interview was fun it was just like a big old convorsation with a girl like a date but not she asked questions and i answered no big deal i showed up 30 minutes early for the interview

Interview Questions

• where do you see your self in five years   1 Answer

MIT (Manager In Training) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Park Forest, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Park Forest, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Extensive but worth it. I would say you have to know about the company. A bit much. I had three interviews plus the panel. I don't have much more to say

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zanesville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Family Video (Zanesville, OH) in August 2015.

Interview

Short, easy and fast. I sent in my application online on a Friday, got called on Monday for an interview. Did the interview one on one at the store on a Wednesday and got told on that Friday they were going with other applicants. Manager was very nice during the interview and we had a good talk he just didn't feel I was right for the position, but nobody I know of that interviewed that week got hired.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What would you say is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Who is your person hero, the person in your life you look up to?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to deal with something in your life not going as expected?   Answer Question

Customer Service/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied in the store and then went into the store four days later to check on my application. Scheduled an interview for later in the week. Interviewed with the store manager. Then scheduled the test for the following day. Interviewed with the dm a week later and was offered the position immediately, the store manager will be calling today with start date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiations they had a part time position ranging between $7.75 and $8.00 an hour. They offered me $8 and I accepted.

Retail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Charleston, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

First interview I showed up 10 minutes early, had to wait 15 minutes for the manager to get back to the store. Interview took place in one of the less busy aisles. Great interview manager and I really hit it off. Lasted about 20 minutes but most of that was spent just talking and getting off topic from the interview, which was fine and got to show part of my personality you wouldn't normally get to show during a "normal" interview. Set up a time 3 days later to take the skill test. Test took about 45 minutes, I took it next to the check out counter while manager dealt with customers. Was called about 4 hours after I completed the test and she told me I passed the test and set up a final interview with the district manager. Due to the DM's schedule and vacation it will be almost 2 weeks before the DM interview so that is why for now I've selected haven't been offered a position as the process is still ongoing