Family Video Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Family Video Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2017

2.6

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Ridiculous. I was called in for a face to face and when I went through it I left with very high confidence and thinking everything had gone smoothly. The interview felt more like a casual conversation and a "getting to know you". Then I returned to take a type of test that was literally a mini SAT and was filled with questions that had NOTHING to do with working at a video store. You also get very little time to complete each section and you aren't allowed a calculator. Most of the problems on the math portion I had learned in High School but I was taught with a calculator. I just got the call today that I failed the test and that was basically it, I didn't get in. It's like they forget all about the first interview and your personality and only care about the test portion. It just baffles me, even if I could do all that math without an issue, there are cash registers for a reason.

Interview Questions

• Something about plums and bananas and grapes.   1 Answer

Part-Time Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbiana, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Columbiana, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview held true to what I saw in other reviews, it was out in plain site in front of the customers. There was no office, so the manager came around the desk and stood against the wall, while I stood there and answered a few short questions for her - like: strengths and weaknesses. She never offered for me to take my coat off first either. Then she gave me a 30 minute test covering everything from alphabetizing to word problems, it was about 8 sections in length, and each section was timed within themselves. She also gave me the choice to take this test then or come back later by the way. She then told me I have to pass the test, then I would interview with the district manager if I do pass, and they decide if I am hired then or not. Lastly, My interview was a week ago today, and I have yet to hear anything back.

Interview Questions

• Name 2 strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Sterling Heights, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was called for interview. 1st interview in store then asked to return for testing. Then returned for interview with district manager. Interview was done in between current employees waiting on customers and testing also done right in store.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2016.

Interview

I interviewed in the middle of the store, on the floor, in a circle, with multiple supervisors. It was not professional. I was asked back to interview with the regional manager. I was told that I was "too serious" during my interview. You put movies on a shelf. Not hard.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arnold, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Arnold, MO) in January 2016.

Interview

Sit down interview with the store managers. Chair was uncomfortable. Very nice people. Came prepared for the interview with pretty generic questions. Interview took place in the middle of the store with customers walking by and staring at you.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Norman, OK).

Interview

I completed my online application for a part-time position. Shortly, I received a call for the initial phone screening interview. Then it was followed up with a face-to-face interview at the store's location within a couple of days. Since I arrived early for the appointment, I observed the environment. After waiting for the interview, the process was rather quick after it was conducted at the check-out counter while standing until the BIG surprise. . . an aptitude test was announced and I had the option to take it at the moment or wait days later. (Well I was hoping to secure a part-time job sooner than later so I took it then. Since it was a long test approx. an hour, I was offered a chair at the counter; once finished, I was told I passed, but my score could not be shared.) Days later, I was offered the final interview with the district manager--again standing, but within the game section of the store. I noticed several WARNINGS as this was not the place I needed to work. (As a previous customer, there were certain environment issues unnoticed before.) So I pretty much made up my mind I would decline if offered. Be aware as this company may not be worth your time!!! Everything other reviewers warned about did occur, but I wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt!!!

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Toledo, OH).

Interview

They always ask the same questions- 1st job, family life, hobbies, greatest achievement, turning point in your life, 5 year plan, and mentor in your life. Your 1st interview through you're final interview will comprise of these questions. Make sure to come in professional attire. So not wear jeans unless you want to fail the interview.

Interview Questions

• Who was a mentor in your life?   1 Answer

General Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broadview Heights, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Broadview Heights, OH) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was very casual and easy. They bring you back in for a test few days later, that has nothing to do with the job. It was difficult for the type of job it is. You stand there at the counter being timed on each section (anywhere from 3-6 minutes per section) and listening to customers talking around you and coming and going. You have to pass the test to get an offer. I failed it by 10 points. It's like you have to be a quick thinker. There was alphabetical order stuff and some spelling and a lot of math and reading comprehension. Sounds easy right? I did great til I got to the math. I'm terrible at it. I think math was the hardest section and your not aloud to use a calculator. They also had these sudko typed puzzles on there which were the hardest. I know the manager had mentioned that the test was rather difficult and a lot of people fail, and not to feel bad if you do, you just can't work here is all. I would think they turn away a lot of hard working people by doing that. I think at one point he had said, he had a few people that were not working out, and that just proves that point. Other then that the interview was simple!

Basic Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Allis, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (West Allis, WI).

Interview

They looked over my customer service experience. Looked if I had money handling jobs in the past. It was relatively easy. They also wanted to see if I worked well with the team. I am a people person so the casual conversation was easy.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in October 2015.

Interview

They call you and do a quick over the phone interview, then if they like you enough they'll set up a in store interview which is kind of ridiculous. They move 2 chairs in the middle of one of the isles in the store where all the customers can see you. This interview is more about your personality and who you are instead of your work experience. Just be yourself and outgoing and you'll easily make it through that. If you get past that then either you'll do a aptitude test that same day or they'll invite you back to do it. This test is absolutely ridiculous, it's pretty much SAT level but they don't give you nearly enough time to do it and you can't use a calculator. You have to take the test right next to the main desk while listening to customers, employees, and the video they always play. Good luck passing this test. If you do pass, they will set up a interview with the regional manager, but you'll be waiting awhile. I've been waiting 4 days now and still haven't heard anything. Pretty ridiculous.