Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Westland, MI

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Westland, MI).

Interview

I applied online on their website. About a week later, I took the initiate to call them. The hiring manager took me in and interviewed me, then sent me to another location to take an aptitude test. They called me about 2 hours later telling me that I passed the test. After the aptitude test, I got interviewed by the district manager. After that, I was hired!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

It was a quick turnaround. There were three separate stages. The first interview consisted of small talk and the obvious interview questions; this is were they separate you from others if you dress for an interview, have social skills, etc. That only took all of five minutes. The second part is a test where you get quizzed, for time, on long division/multiplication, spelling, and alphabetizing. Study for this if you're rusty at any of these. The third is with the regional or district manager ( I forget which). They essentially do a repeat of the first interview and see if you are what they are looking for, i.e. a social person who can talk to people and work a sales job.

Anonymous Employee in Ironwood, MI

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Ironwood, MI).

Interview

2 separate interviews for a minimum wage cashier job--ridiculous. Then, once they hire you, it's like you're still interviewing. After "working" (not really) with me for less than 4 hours, the supervisor became concerned I wasn't outgoing enough and let me know he was considering cutting me anyway. Dude, I'm new, I'm nervous. I quit once I realized that that's how it would be all the time--if they's how they treat new employees, imagine how they treat people they're no longer concerned with impressing.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Interview is a three part process:
    1. Face-to-face with store manager: Mostly it is going over your application and resume. The manager wants to know more about you. You will have opportunities to put some of your personality in the application and it will probably come up in the interview. Don't stress yourself out about it; if you love movies/games, just be yourself.
    2. Aptitude testing: This is the most hard part of the interview process. Again, don't stress yourself out about it. It will have super easy and super hard math questions, ANSWER WHAT YOU KNOW FIRST! There are multiple parts, all of which are timed, so don't spend a lot of time on any one question. Don't know it, move onto the next. You are scored on how many you did right. Do as many as you possibly can but don't get caught up on one. If you absolutely are bad at math, spelling, and reading comprehension, please be advised to study up on these things before testing. If you don't, you will fail.
    3. Face-to-face with District Manager: This is another pretty simple interview. You essentially go over the same things you went over with the store manager. They want to get to know you better. My experience was really good and I have a great DM who is very easy to get along with. I don't know if they are all the same way, but this is another thing you shouldn't stress. Stress will just make you lock up and seem nervous and apprehensive. You don't want to be that person.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies? What kind of movies you like? Do you play video games? Questions about past experiences. What was your favorite/best subject? What was your worst? .... Seriously, all easy questions, don't put a burden on yourself over the interviews.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

3-day process: Initial interview > Clerical Test > Final Interview. Failing at any stage is grounds for a no-hire. Many people who don't get hired fail at the clerical test phase. While some may gripe that it's "stupid" to do math questions for a video store, the clerical test is NOT to see if you can figure out what the square root of 4489 is (such a question is on the test) -- it's to see what you do when faced with a task that you don't know how to do. Do you get stuck trying to do that question, or do you move on to questions that you can do? A lot of the test translates to the work at Family Video, directly and indirectly. Essentially, how much can you achieve in a short amount of time? If you fail the test, you probably won't excel at your job, as frivolous as it may seem.

Interview Questions

• Who is one mentor in your life that you go to for help & advice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Family Video (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

Basic meet and greet for first point of contact that lasted about 10 minutes. General questions were asked such as "Tell me about yourself," "What is your greatest achievement" and "Why are you interested in working here?", basically getting familiar with one another. This was done at the counter.

Then, I was asked to return in three days for an assessment test which questions you on a lot of basic math, spelling, alphabetizing and comprehension, and takes about 45 minutes to complete. Each sections are timed, ranging from 2-6 minutes. Store Manager gave instructions and pointers such as "If you don't know the answer right away, skip and move on, do everything you can." Sometimes the test was interrupted by customers coming in as the Store Manager was the only one present at the time.

I received a call the next day about a follow-up interview, this time with the District Manager. It is literally a face-to-face interview and took place in the game sections, most likely the less trafficked area during the day. She asked me very similar questions that the Store Manager had just days previous and was very friendly. As this was my first interview ever, she did warn me against wearing jeans at interviews especially as there's a rule against them during work at Family Video.

Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Anderson, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

It was brief and I was called back within 20 minutes to take the test, and another 20 minutes after the test I got the job. I am now working towards management. I love my job, I recommend trying to apply.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year career goal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Norman, OK).

Interview

I completed my online application for a part-time position. Shortly, I received a call for the initial phone screening interview. Then it was followed up with a face-to-face interview at the store's location within a couple of days. Since I arrived early for the appointment, I observed the environment. After waiting for the interview, the process was rather quick after it was conducted at the check-out counter while standing until the BIG surprise. . . an aptitude test was announced and I had the option to take it at the moment or wait days later. (Well I was hoping to secure a part-time job sooner than later so I took it then. Since it was a long test approx. an hour, I was offered a chair at the counter; once finished, I was told I passed, but my score could not be shared.) Days later, I was offered the final interview with the district manager--again standing, but within the game section of the store. I noticed several WARNINGS as this was not the place I needed to work. (As a previous customer, there were certain environment issues unnoticed before.) So I pretty much made up my mind I would decline if offered. Be aware as this company may not be worth your time!!! Everything other reviewers warned about did occur, but I wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt!!!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in October 2015.

Interview

They call you and do a quick over the phone interview, then if they like you enough they'll set up a in store interview which is kind of ridiculous. They move 2 chairs in the middle of one of the isles in the store where all the customers can see you. This interview is more about your personality and who you are instead of your work experience. Just be yourself and outgoing and you'll easily make it through that. If you get past that then either you'll do a aptitude test that same day or they'll invite you back to do it. This test is absolutely ridiculous, it's pretty much SAT level but they don't give you nearly enough time to do it and you can't use a calculator. You have to take the test right next to the main desk while listening to customers, employees, and the video they always play. Good luck passing this test. If you do pass, they will set up a interview with the regional manager, but you'll be waiting awhile. I've been waiting 4 days now and still haven't heard anything. Pretty ridiculous.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

One in person interview with the district manager, which was casual and relatively easy. However, there is a written aptitude test which is a bit difficult considering the position.