Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 25, 2017

2.8

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2017.

Interview

Just did the first part which is a meet and greet. They do a meet and greet before the second stage which is the actual interview. Guess I wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Where did you learn about this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Employee in Junction City, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Junction City, KS) in May 2017.

Interview

The process was very informal and fast. I applied online on a Monday, received a call the next day inviting me to open interviews on Thursday of the same week, and was offered the position on Tuesday of the following week. During the open interviews, each candidate sat with the manager in the middle of the store to learn about the position and ask/answer questions. Each interview was very short, and other people in the store could easily listen in on what was going on, which struck me as a bit odd.
      That evening, I received a call informing me that I'd been accepted for the clerical assessment and went back two days later to take it. I was given 20 minutes to complete the assessment, which included alphabetizing, checking for spelling errors, two types of math problems, and a reading comprehension assessment. I was permitted to use a calculator on the assessment so it was fairly easy to complete in less than 20 minutes despite the distraction of the TVs playing throughout the store. Once I finished, one of the other employees graded my assessment and then told me I passed, and I set up a final "formal" interview with the store manager.
      The final interview honestly wasn't much of an interview at all. Once again, it took place between a couple of aisles in the middle of the store. The manager started off by asking if I would be comfortable with offering additional items to customers, such as candy and rental discount cards, and went over my availability. After that, he offered me the position and explained the training process, dress code policy, and starting wages. The final interview lasted 10 minutes at the most.

Interview Questions

• To start off with, new employees typically work 10-15 hours a week in order to learn about the store and meet their coworkers. Is this amount acceptable for you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Family Video (Springfield, MO).

Interview

Starts with an online/paper application. If liked an in person interview for about 10 minutes with store manager. If liked then a 20 minute clerial test. Final interview with district manager.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Family video gets tons of applications. Make sure to get your foot in the door by calling back and asking about your application. Once you've done that, there's a pretty easy test they give you to make sure you can do some simple math and problem solving. After finishing that, you'll have your interview with the store manager. If you've passed your test and the interview went well, you'll be invited to meet the district manager and they'll offer you a job.

Anonymous Employee in Westland, MI

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Westland, MI).

Interview

I applied online on their website. About a week later, I took the initiate to call them. The hiring manager took me in and interviewed me, then sent me to another location to take an aptitude test. They called me about 2 hours later telling me that I passed the test. After the aptitude test, I got interviewed by the district manager. After that, I was hired!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

It was a quick turnaround. There were three separate stages. The first interview consisted of small talk and the obvious interview questions; this is were they separate you from others if you dress for an interview, have social skills, etc. That only took all of five minutes. The second part is a test where you get quizzed, for time, on long division/multiplication, spelling, and alphabetizing. Study for this if you're rusty at any of these. The third is with the regional or district manager ( I forget which). They essentially do a repeat of the first interview and see if you are what they are looking for, i.e. a social person who can talk to people and work a sales job.

Anonymous Employee in Ironwood, MI

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Ironwood, MI).

Interview

2 separate interviews for a minimum wage cashier job--ridiculous. Then, once they hire you, it's like you're still interviewing. After "working" (not really) with me for less than 4 hours, the supervisor became concerned I wasn't outgoing enough and let me know he was considering cutting me anyway. Dude, I'm new, I'm nervous. I quit once I realized that that's how it would be all the time--if they's how they treat new employees, imagine how they treat people they're no longer concerned with impressing.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Interview is a three part process:
    1. Face-to-face with store manager: Mostly it is going over your application and resume. The manager wants to know more about you. You will have opportunities to put some of your personality in the application and it will probably come up in the interview. Don't stress yourself out about it; if you love movies/games, just be yourself.
    2. Aptitude testing: This is the most hard part of the interview process. Again, don't stress yourself out about it. It will have super easy and super hard math questions, ANSWER WHAT YOU KNOW FIRST! There are multiple parts, all of which are timed, so don't spend a lot of time on any one question. Don't know it, move onto the next. You are scored on how many you did right. Do as many as you possibly can but don't get caught up on one. If you absolutely are bad at math, spelling, and reading comprehension, please be advised to study up on these things before testing. If you don't, you will fail.
    3. Face-to-face with District Manager: This is another pretty simple interview. You essentially go over the same things you went over with the store manager. They want to get to know you better. My experience was really good and I have a great DM who is very easy to get along with. I don't know if they are all the same way, but this is another thing you shouldn't stress. Stress will just make you lock up and seem nervous and apprehensive. You don't want to be that person.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies? What kind of movies you like? Do you play video games? Questions about past experiences. What was your favorite/best subject? What was your worst? .... Seriously, all easy questions, don't put a burden on yourself over the interviews.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

3-day process: Initial interview > Clerical Test > Final Interview. Failing at any stage is grounds for a no-hire. Many people who don't get hired fail at the clerical test phase. While some may gripe that it's "stupid" to do math questions for a video store, the clerical test is NOT to see if you can figure out what the square root of 4489 is (such a question is on the test) -- it's to see what you do when faced with a task that you don't know how to do. Do you get stuck trying to do that question, or do you move on to questions that you can do? A lot of the test translates to the work at Family Video, directly and indirectly. Essentially, how much can you achieve in a short amount of time? If you fail the test, you probably won't excel at your job, as frivolous as it may seem.

Interview Questions

• Who is one mentor in your life that you go to for help & advice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Video (Anderson, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

It was brief and I was called back within 20 minutes to take the test, and another 20 minutes after the test I got the job. I am now working towards management. I love my job, I recommend trying to apply.

Interview Questions

• What was my 5 year career goal?   1 Answer