Family Video Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 25, 2017

2.9

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Family Video (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2017.

Interview

Just did the first part which is a meet and greet. They do a meet and greet before the second stage which is the actual interview. Guess I wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Where did you learn about this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Family Video

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video (Norman, OK).

Interview

I completed my online application for a part-time position. Shortly, I received a call for the initial phone screening interview. Then it was followed up with a face-to-face interview at the store's location within a couple of days. Since I arrived early for the appointment, I observed the environment. After waiting for the interview, the process was rather quick after it was conducted at the check-out counter while standing until the BIG surprise. . . an aptitude test was announced and I had the option to take it at the moment or wait days later. (Well I was hoping to secure a part-time job sooner than later so I took it then. Since it was a long test approx. an hour, I was offered a chair at the counter; once finished, I was told I passed, but my score could not be shared.) Days later, I was offered the final interview with the district manager--again standing, but within the game section of the store. I noticed several WARNINGS as this was not the place I needed to work. (As a previous customer, there were certain environment issues unnoticed before.) So I pretty much made up my mind I would decline if offered. Be aware as this company may not be worth your time!!! Everything other reviewers warned about did occur, but I wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt!!!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in October 2015.

Interview

They call you and do a quick over the phone interview, then if they like you enough they'll set up a in store interview which is kind of ridiculous. They move 2 chairs in the middle of one of the isles in the store where all the customers can see you. This interview is more about your personality and who you are instead of your work experience. Just be yourself and outgoing and you'll easily make it through that. If you get past that then either you'll do a aptitude test that same day or they'll invite you back to do it. This test is absolutely ridiculous, it's pretty much SAT level but they don't give you nearly enough time to do it and you can't use a calculator. You have to take the test right next to the main desk while listening to customers, employees, and the video they always play. Good luck passing this test. If you do pass, they will set up a interview with the regional manager, but you'll be waiting awhile. I've been waiting 4 days now and still haven't heard anything. Pretty ridiculous.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Family Video in June 2015.

Interview

Delivered application, was taken aside by manager to look over for "open interview" style thing. We were on the sales floor, but it was a slow afternoon, so it was rather informal. The manager went through a couple questions while looking over my application, asked me three questions (below), then told me he would get back to me. Two days later I received a call and was told I "wasn't what they were looking for for the position" which I thought was rather odd for a company with such a high turnover rate. Person who called was not the same person who interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• How long have you worked in sales?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work with our company?   1 Answer
    • What kind of hours are you looking at?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw, IN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Family Video (Warsaw, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

I filled out my application and dropped it off in the store where I asked to speak to the manager to give to him. I told him a little about myself and he seemed interested in hiring me. Since I have a full time job already, and a part time job on top of that, I explained when I would be available to work and I would need two weeks notice to quit my second job. I had an "official" interview the next day where we went against the back wall of the store and he asked me random questions. (A little unprofessional, but hey, its a video store, right?) So far, so good. Or so I thought. I was informed there would be a basic competency test to take before I could be considered. Having a Bachelors degree and over 6 years of sales experience, I thought it would be a breeze. Little did I know, it was harder than the SAT! I was given 3 min to alphabetize, 3 to correct errors and 6 min to do over 20 questions of math. This included long division, multiplication, division and multiplying fractions, etc which I haven't touched since high school. I was so overwhelmed by the timing of the test, the busy atmosphere, (right in the front, mind you) the difficulty of the questions and frustrated by the absolute irrelevance of the test that I gave up at that point, to which there was at least 10 more pages in the packet. I cannot imagine anyone passing with something less of a math degree with an incredibly high reading comprehension. I also cannot imagine anyone that intelligent wanting to work at $8/ hr. I have since read other reviews backing my experience that it astounds me this horrible hiring process is still in effect and that no one has sued them for unlawful discrimination of people with math, reading or spelling disabilities. I don't have those disabilities and I didn't feel I would be able to pass it! I wish there was a way to contact the people who created and implemented this test into practice and tell them what awful people they are and I hope they go out of business soon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broadview Heights, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Broadview Heights, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and as soon as I finished the application, I got a confirmation email that they had received my application. About 3-4 days later I got a call asking me to come in for an interview the following day.

I arrived to the interview and was first asked easy questions like "What are your hobbies?" and "Tell me about yourself" I really thought I did a great job on this part because I am a movie fanatic. I spend most of my free time watching movies and it has always been a passion of mine to learn more about the actors, the stories behind the films, directors, etc. BUT Family Video has no interest on what your knowledge of movies or video games or anything like that is. It is the least of their worries even though it's a Family Video Store... this has left me very disappointed. Next the manager that interviewed me asked me about my previous jobs and when I mentioned I had left my last job because at the moment I was going to be starting college in the Fall instead of the Spring and although she seemed to understand that she didn't seem to understand my other reason which was that I would either get 0-2 HOURS of work a week. She responded to me by saying "Well, isn't some hours better than no hours?" I felt very uncomfortable answering this because I don't see why anyone would stay at a job where there are weeks they don't even get hours and when they do they only get 2. 4 If I was lucky. Nonetheless, I answered "Yes, I do believe that is true. But like I mentioned before, I had plans to attend a University and had to put in my end date." (No attitude in the way I said this at all.

Next, I was asked if I had 45 minutes. I knew what was coming thanks to this website but was absolutely blown away by the test itself. She told me each section was timed but didn't tell me how much time I had for each. It seemed to range from "4 minutes and 30 seconds" to "Seven minutes" The test asked RIDICULOUS questions. The math sections, the Sudoku like section (which I have never really done much before so found this to be a little more time consuming) I did quite good on the organization parts of the quiz and the basic math, all things that would make sense for the job. But that wasn't good enough. I did not score high enough on their test, I believe partially because the entire thing was making me nervous and I didn't get to fill in a lot of the answers since I am used to taking a little more time on questions than I was given.

I left the store and not even 20 minutes after leaving I was called and told they would not be furthering my interview process (because yes there would have been more) because of my low score. I felt humiliated and I am afraid to ever rent a movie there again, which is a shame because I loved it so much but the interview was very bad and left me feeling ashamed of my speed with tests and even my lack of knowledge on a lot of the questions.

*I'd also like to add that I found the manager that interviewed me to be VERY unprofessional. She had her iPhone on loud the entire time I was taking the test. (In the middle of the store) She received many texts while I took the test and I found that she didn't even put her phone on silent or vibrate to be rude if she was going to text the entire time. She even had a personal phone call that lasted at least 5 minutes, I found myself concentrating on not only the test but her conversation since it was about hiring people and how they are having such a difficult time doing so. (Maybe if their hiring process wasn't so ridiculous it wouldn't be that hard) Her personal conversation also was about her plans for vacation and how she is stressed and was really rather rude in my opinion. There is already a movie on in the store at all times, she has enough entertainment.

LASTLY. Another kid interview after me, I am assuming he may have not had the job since Family Video has plastered their store now (about a week after my interview) with OPEN INTERVIEW signs.

I really think Family Video could have been a great job, so maybe I am just bitter at the process but I would just suggest they concentrate more on just organization skills, people skills, movie/video game knowledge, cash register knowledge, and money handling knowledge.

Interview Questions

• The ACT Style Test I had to take to work at a Family Video store and how they were more worried about how I am at long division in a short amount of time than my knowledge on how to use a cash register or on films or video games.   Answer Question
    • "What is 24% of 546?" Also make sure you have time to do the other 10 math questions that are similar and a few a little easier than this question in 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Family Video in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Within a few days they called back and scheduled an interview. Very informal and I thought I was interviewing with the manager but the woman who interviewed me said she was leaving soon. There were 2-3 positions available and 11 or more people interviewing for those positions.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was called back a few days later for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager in one of the aisles of the store, not an office or anything. The manager was very nice and asked basic questions like, "Tell me about yourself." No hard questions at all, it was about a five minute interview. She told me after this interview I have to meet with the district manager, which she said could take up to three weeks and if I don't hear back from her by then she said to, "Definitely call her back." I waited three weeks and called back. She answered and said that they had already picked another candidate. I sort of feel dumb now thinking everything went very well and that she really liked me and just thought that was a normal process. If you are desperately in need of a job (like I am) do not wait around for them, even if they made you feel like they really liked you.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, asked about myself and past job experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Family Video (Appleton, WI) in December 2013.

Interview

I was called within a week after applying online. The interview took place in the middle of the store with two chairs set up in the middle of an aisle. It was very loud and somewhat difficult to focus with all the televisons blaring all over the store. After the interview I was told I would receive a call later that evening. I never did so I waited a few more days and called the store. I was told by an employee that they would contact the manager. It's been about two weeks since the initial interview and I still haven't heard anything. I'm not impressed.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Video.

Interview

Applied online, waited a week and went in to see what was going on. The manager wasn't there so I came in the next day when he was there and gave me an interview the next day. After the interview, I took their competence test that they give. After that test I had an interview with the district manager.