FanDuel Devops Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at FanDuel

1 Interview Review

4.0

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Initially asked to answer three pre-interview questions:

1) What do you enjoy about DevOps?
2) Tell me about a project or piece of work you are most proud of. (In as much detail as possible, speak about tools and techs, outcome, challenges and how overcome etc.)
3) What are you looking for in a new role?

Following this was a 1 hour phone interview with a member of the DevOps team, asking general questions around experience and expertise. Very friendly and relaxed.

After that a ~4 hour in person interview at their offices. Everyone very friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about working there. The three hours were split up as:

1) General technical chat with DevOps manager and team member.
2) Technical questions and technical debugging test.
3) Soft skills chat, asking general questions about what you would do in x situation, or telling them about a time when you argued with a colleague, and so on. Super friendly and relaxed again.

Technical test was my main point of contention. It involved debugging a test nginx server with a python application while the tester stands over your shoulder watching every keystroke. Having been invited to interview I'd assumed the test would have been on something within my stated experience, which this wasn't. Consequently they shouldn't expect a candidate to ace a test when it's on something they know you don't have experience with. This was also more of a python-specific SysAdmin test rather than DevOps, so not really fit for purpose.

As this was seemingly the aspect that counted against me in getting an offer, expect to be tested only on what they use and hope that matches up with your current skills. They also seemed displeased that my first step in debugging an unfamiliar application was googling and looking at similar problems on StackOverflow. Not quite sure what else they were expecting!

Also expect to be only offered a Mac laptop to work on; PC users beware the unfamiliar UI.

Did an extensive amount of research on the business history and product environment, but none of this is asked about at any stage in the interview so don't waste your time and focus on the technical/coding requirements hinted at in the job description.

No specific feedback on interview, so if you're unsuccessful expect to be left in the dark as to why.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the difference between a process and a thread.   Answer Question
  • Tell me how you'd approach deploying a new piece of software on a fleet of servers.   Answer Question
  • Can you tell me the difference between Prefork MPM and Worker MPM?   Answer Question
  • A member of the team wants to work from home. How would you go about giving them secure remote access?   Answer Question

FanDuel Response

Apr 21, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank your thoughtful and thorough recap of your experience and are sorry to hear that you had a negative one. We value your input and apologize that you weren't notified of the status of your... More