FanDuel Front End Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FanDuel Front End Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at FanDuel

1 Interview Review

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Initially I had to submit answers to a few questions over email. I thought the questions were pretty good. In contrast to some other companies they couldn't have got the answers from my CV so to me they added something to the process.

Then I had a phone interview that lasted around 1 hour. Mainly going over experience with a couple of high level technical questions.

Then there was an on site interview lasting 5 hours. Split into 5 stages. Initially being shown round the office, then a general interview, then a coding test then a technical interview and finally a wrap up.

Mostly it was ok. I found the coding task hard but not because of the task itself. You have a limited time to do the task and I cut into my own time by having a toilet break (not really optional!).

The machine they set up was a small laptop which had a keyboard layout I wasn't familiar with and didn't have a mouse so I had to use the track pad (again unfamiliar). The editor they provided was an earlier version of the one I'd asked for.

Although these things seem like small annoyances, when you have a limited time to understand the task, decide on a toolset then work on the solution it definitely cuts down on productivity. I took too long to decide on the toolset and didn't get enough done. In the technical interview afterwards I raised this issue and was asked whether having setup time would have helped which it would.

I was never really clear on what they wanted for the coding task. Did they want me to start out as though this were production code to see how I approached it or were they more interested in a getting more done? I went for the former but with hindsight I think I should have gone for the latter. I spent too much time setting up the toolset which was exacerbated by the editor/laptop issues.

Although I was in their office for 5 hours across lunch time I wasn't offered a break. Possibly because the people interviewing switched in and out so it wouldn't be an issue for them. What they seemed to have forgotten was that I was present for the full 5 hours. I was very hungry and pretty knackered by the end of it!

Different people asked the same or similar questions at different stages and at least some of them hadn't read the answers to the questions that I'd submitted previously.

My overall impression of the company started being quite positive but after I'd had time to think over the experience (before I found out the outcome) I was less positive. Having said that if they'd offered the job I would have taken it.

Interview Questions

• In the general stage they asked me for 3 adjectives to describe someone that I'd choose to give a reference for me. Then they asked for 3 adjectives to describe someone that I wouldn't chose to give a reference for me.

To me once you've answered the first question you've also answered the second one but they didn't seem happy with that answer.   Answer Question