FanDuel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FanDuel Interview Questions

Interviews at FanDuel

3.2

IOS Engineer Interview

Interview

Set up a call with a good email and then rescheduled it and received no call or email. This is by far the worst experience I had for a long time. No wonder I read the Glassdoor reviews and this proves it. To all the future applications remember this or go ahead and waste your time.

Integrated Campaigns Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (New York, NY).

Interview

Long, drawn out and NOT worth all the effort. Following the initial HR screening, I interviewed on the phone with the hiring manager. They then asked me to create and present a whole deck for a Marketing plan and the objective seemed not only vague, but not applicable for the role I was interviewing for. They barely gave any insight and direction even though I went back and forth a few times prodding for more information. I assumed this was mostly to test my presentation and PowerPoint skills. When I finished the presentation, I went into the office and met with a team of people who listened to my presentation and asked questions. And then met with another Employee to ask questions about my resume. Overall, not the worst process and the questions they asked were well received and there was good conversation. However, I received feed back from HR over a week later and they told me not only that I didn't get the position, but a list of things I didn't and should've included in the deck. Items that I should've been mentioned up front considering that I have zero experience in the industry. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! This whole process was not worth the effort and everything was extremely unorganized.

Interview Questions

• Create a Marketing Plan Presentation using only Free Channels to present to a group of people.   1 Answer

Seasonal Customer Support Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Excellent interview atmosphere and balance of questions. The managers were polite and very interactive: engaging in playful conversation while asking pertinent questions. There were three rounds of interviews, with the first being a 2 person panel and the final being a writing test.

Interview Questions

• If you were stranded on a desert island, what would be the one personal item you couldn't live without?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FanDuel in May 2014.

Interview

Initial communications were clear and concise.

Arrived and was briefly shown around the office before interview start. Friendly and welcoming.

First hour (roughly) spent on general questions surrounding myself, my past experience/education, how I might fit into the company and what I know about the company.

Second hour (roughly) was a technical interview. Went well, more focussed on problem solving on general coding knowledge instead of the ins and outs of a language.

Third hour (roughly) was similar to the first, but more focussed on the technical side of my abilities.

Plenty of refreshments offered throughout and quite a casual feeling which helped make the atmosphere more relaxed, yet still formal.

Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Technical challenge was a mix of technical skills and problem solving. Difficult to prepare for, but working through it with the interviewers was suggested to see how you could also work as a team. If you think clear and discuss it should be doable.   Answer Question

IT Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

Entire process of being invited to an initial video interview through to final interview took 2 days.

The initial video interview had a very personal and pleasant feel to it with questions interlinking past experience in past roles, within significantly different industries too, as well as open ended questions regarding your own knowledge of the company and how you go through achieving tasks or jobs. Overall in my opinion a phenomonal interview initially.

Second interview was in person at the company office, this interview was more collaborative with the hiring manager and a senior employee of the same team conducting. Questions asked were based around some technical knowledge as well as relationship management skills to get a feel of how you react and deal with situations potentially presented in the workplace, this was interspersed with tidbits of information regarding technology being used in the company and how it is used.

Overall in my opinion the interview process from start to finish has been the very best I have ever attended when seeking jobs, the interviewers and HR representative are all exceptionally friendly and genuinely care about your answers to questions. It was such a pleasant experience all round.

Interview Questions

• What kind of methods do you use to ensure you complete jobs and tasks in a timely and efficient manner?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2018.

Interview

Applied for the job online. Had to complete a brief phone screen, an 8 hour "take-home" project and was then invited to a three hour onsite which involved a technical test, a technical interview, and a general fit interview. Overall, it was a positive experience although the process felt, at times, somewhat haphazard and arbitrary.

Interview Questions

• What are the HTTP request methods? What do they do? How are they different?   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Initially I had to submit answers to a few questions over email. I thought the questions were pretty good. In contrast to some other companies they couldn't have got the answers from my CV so to me they added something to the process.

Then I had a phone interview that lasted around 1 hour. Mainly going over experience with a couple of high level technical questions.

Then there was an on site interview lasting 5 hours. Split into 5 stages. Initially being shown round the office, then a general interview, then a coding test then a technical interview and finally a wrap up.

Mostly it was ok. I found the coding task hard but not because of the task itself. You have a limited time to do the task and I cut into my own time by having a toilet break (not really optional!).

The machine they set up was a small laptop which had a keyboard layout I wasn't familiar with and didn't have a mouse so I had to use the track pad (again unfamiliar). The editor they provided was an earlier version of the one I'd asked for.

Although these things seem like small annoyances, when you have a limited time to understand the task, decide on a toolset then work on the solution it definitely cuts down on productivity. I took too long to decide on the toolset and didn't get enough done. In the technical interview afterwards I raised this issue and was asked whether having setup time would have helped which it would.

I was never really clear on what they wanted for the coding task. Did they want me to start out as though this were production code to see how I approached it or were they more interested in a getting more done? I went for the former but with hindsight I think I should have gone for the latter. I spent too much time setting up the toolset which was exacerbated by the editor/laptop issues.

Although I was in their office for 5 hours across lunch time I wasn't offered a break. Possibly because the people interviewing switched in and out so it wouldn't be an issue for them. What they seemed to have forgotten was that I was present for the full 5 hours. I was very hungry and pretty knackered by the end of it!

Different people asked the same or similar questions at different stages and at least some of them hadn't read the answers to the questions that I'd submitted previously.

My overall impression of the company started being quite positive but after I'd had time to think over the experience (before I found out the outcome) I was less positive. Having said that if they'd offered the job I would have taken it.

Interview Questions

• In the general stage they asked me for 3 adjectives to describe someone that I'd choose to give a reference for me. Then they asked for 3 adjectives to describe someone that I wouldn't chose to give a reference for me.

To me once you've answered the first question you've also answered the second one but they didn't seem happy with that answer.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Initially, a phone interview and if you're successful they will ask for a 5 hour design brief to be supplied in response to a UX issue they have set. After that, a 3 hour in person interview takes place. The first hour was with two of the design team which I felt was purely an egotistical exercise on their part - I was confused as to why I was asked into the interview in the first place as they had so much negative feedback on work they had already seen, which was delivered in an unnecessary and completely non constructive manner. The second and third tasks consisted of a whiteboard brief and a personality type test, in which the interviewers were much more receptive and approachable. Do not believe the hype about the working environment - the office was in complete silence and the recreational areas were unoccupied. It is not the type of environment or team I would like to work within and very far from what they advertise. After the process I was advised they were looking for a role not advertised within the initial job spec, which was frustrating after all the preperation. Their process is entirely unreasonable and to expect participants to dedicate hours upon hours for a misleading advertised job is, quite frankly, disgraceful. I would urge others to consider before applying.

Interview Questions

• A complete critique of only one piece of your live work, which is unfair.   1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Initially asked to answer three pre-interview questions:

1) What do you enjoy about DevOps?
    2) Tell me about a project or piece of work you are most proud of. (In as much detail as possible, speak about tools and techs, outcome, challenges and how overcome etc.)
    3) What are you looking for in a new role?

Following this was a 1 hour phone interview with a member of the DevOps team, asking general questions around experience and expertise. Very friendly and relaxed.

After that a ~4 hour in person interview at their offices. Everyone very friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about working there. The three hours were split up as:

1) General technical chat with DevOps manager and team member.
    2) Technical questions and technical debugging test.
    3) Soft skills chat, asking general questions about what you would do in x situation, or telling them about a time when you argued with a colleague, and so on. Super friendly and relaxed again.

Technical test was my main point of contention. It involved debugging a test nginx server with a python application while the tester stands over your shoulder watching every keystroke. Having been invited to interview I'd assumed the test would have been on something within my stated experience, which this wasn't. Consequently they shouldn't expect a candidate to ace a test when it's on something they know you don't have experience with. This was also more of a python-specific SysAdmin test rather than DevOps, so not really fit for purpose.

As this was seemingly the aspect that counted against me in getting an offer, expect to be tested only on what they use and hope that matches up with your current skills. They also seemed displeased that my first step in debugging an unfamiliar application was googling and looking at similar problems on StackOverflow. Not quite sure what else they were expecting!

Also expect to be only offered a Mac laptop to work on; PC users beware the unfamiliar UI.

Did an extensive amount of research on the business history and product environment, but none of this is asked about at any stage in the interview so don't waste your time and focus on the technical/coding requirements hinted at in the job description.

No specific feedback on interview, so if you're unsuccessful expect to be left in the dark as to why.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the difference between a process and a thread.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you'd approach deploying a new piece of software on a fleet of servers.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me the difference between Prefork MPM and Worker MPM?   Answer Question
    • A member of the team wants to work from home. How would you go about giving them secure remote access?   Answer Question

FanDuel Response

Apr 21, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank your thoughtful and thorough recap of your experience and are sorry to hear that you had a negative one. We value your input and apologize that you weren't notified of the status of your... More

Devops Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at FanDuel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Office and culture is definitely the "Dev" culture. Relaxed, Techy and good break out areas.

I had a telephone interview of an hour then 3x1 hour interviews on one day and then called back for a further interview.

First of the group of three was technical, followed by team fit then lastly a technical overview. Be sure you know as much as you should for the role.

HR was pleasant, and open to talking about salary and your interview experience to gage your interest, situation and possibly body language to see if your the right fit.

Interview Questions

• if someone was to give a negative reference about you, what three adjectives would they use?   Answer Question