Fannie Mae Financial Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Financial Engineer

Fannie Mae Financial Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Fannie Mae

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

Resume Screening, Behavioral Interview, "Super-day" 3 interviews. Super-day consisted of a behavioral interview, educational interview and case interview. The case interview worked on your though process on a project similar to what Fannie Mae analysts would do.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Fannie Mae

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

I did two round phone interviews and then did onsite with 5 people. The interviewers mainly asked about my past experience and my programming skills using SAS, SQL and Excel VBA. For SAS, I was asked to write code on a white board. They also ask some behavioral questions and industry knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your understanding of the financial crisis in 2007.   1 Answer

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through university. Got an offer for an interview within a couple of days. Fairly straight-forward interview. Mostly behavioral/fit questions. Focused mainly on the technical skills necessary for the role.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Fannie Mae and how do your skills fit with the role?   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2017.

Interview

A half hour one-on-one interview. It became clear the job was essentially coding when the interview kept asking me about projects I've coded or databases I've created. Lost my interest after that

Interview Questions

• Talk to me about your coding experience/projects you've coded with R/SAS/Etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied through my college job board and ended up being selected for an in-person interview on campus. The entire process is very competitive. Out of the several hundred students that applied for the position, Fannie interviewed about 10 per campus and invited 2-3 back for a final round in Washington DC. The interviews were overall easy and the method they moved forward with candidates seemed rather arbitrary. The on-campus interview consisted of confessing your knowledge of Fannie Mae and the mortgage market, then walking through your resume for relevant experience. About a week later, you will hear back and if invited to Washington, the interview will consist of three 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews that ask behavioral, educational and case study questions respectively. The enterprise was very accommodating and the process was an enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• What does Fannie Mae do? How have you demonstrated curiosity, problem solving and quantitative ability? What coding projects have you worked on? Fannie has 17 million mortgage securities, how would you valuate how much they are all worth in total? Derive Black-Scholes (only if strong math background/major).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in January 2010.

Interview

intial phone discussion with recruiter
    1st rd: phone interview with quant team
    final rd: 1:1 interview with vp, laid back...group/panel interview with directors and team members, grilled with math, finance, derivatives, and programming questions...questions focused on bond math, callable/putable bonds, matrix math, coding algorithms, options pricing, and prepayment basics

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Three different rounds (behavioral, education, and case studies.) Rotated around three different tables to satisfy the three. A mix of basic interview questions and some theoretical concepts. Gave the interviewee a chance to meet three different people doing what they would be doing if hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you appraise a property if you can't survey it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

3 rounds, mini-presentation to a panel

Interview Questions

• What's an example of a time you failed miserably?   1 Answer

Seemed like a terrible place to work. People were foolishly arrogant.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in May 2011.

Interview

I got the interview through the director of my program, the interview took one day, we first had lunch with the senior management. then we had two 30 min interview, one is basically behavioral questions like "tell me about this project you did, is there any way you can change the way you did it?"
    Another is sort of technical, I was asked to describe the projects I did in a C++ class, and also asked about the real estate asset valuation method. another is a case interview, asked me how to choose two projects for fannie mae, basically you need to NPV and IRR are the 2 ways to evaluate a project.

Interview Questions

• how to evaluate a real estate property   2 Answers

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

just a phone interview and being rejected