Fannie Mae Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 14, 2017

2.8

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Pasadena, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

uploaded resume and filled out application for Fannie Mae, this was a basic interview....I am a business owner and have been in this industry for 25 plus years this was both of us interviewing each other....not sure I want to give up my company and not sure they pay enough...the only reason I agreed to the interview is I like to keep my finger on the pulse and see what is available to me and what is available in the work place market. I keep up on trends and keep myself educated on the current programs and market.

Interview Questions

• Why work for them and am I willing to give up my company   Answer Question

Mortgage Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Had a brief phone call with a recruiter. She immediately sent me an email detailing interviewer's contact location. Had me fill out a application with all my employment information. Day of the interview, I was in business wear, FNMA is business casual but you would think that the person interviewing would dress more professionaly, at least on the day she interviews. Had the interview in her office, she was looking at her computer throughout. Not sure if that's where the questions were. Told me about the requirements for the job, had a few basic questions for me, nothing difficult. She told me she had 4/5 contractors working and needed to hire same number as permanent hires. All in all a very casual interview. I thought it went very well. Rumor in the industry is they tend to hire their contractors but interview others so it's on paper. Very frustrating to get a random email and very frustrating to feel used to fill their quota of random interviews. No phone call and no explanation.

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Process began with a recruiter who called me and told me about the position. Job description only matched about 50% of the work she told me the position would be doing. Still what she described was good enough and she set me up with a phone interview with the hiring manager a week later. Spoke with the hiring manager in a 20 minute phone interview in which she described the position and department in more detail. Things went well and we scheduled an on site interview two weeks later when she would be in town.

On site interview consisted of a meeting with the hiring manager and two Credit Risk analysts who have been working there for a couple of years. All were very kind and gave me examples of what a day-to-day life is like working in the position as well as information of the work-life balance. Following this hour interview I was informed that there would be a final interview for successful candidates who were chosen.

Was fortunate enough to be chosen for a final round interview which consisted of a panel interview with a VP and two Directors. This interview was quite more intense and serious than the prior interviews but I can guess that is only to be expected when meeting with higher ups. Interview was about 45 minutes long. Was told on my way out a decision would be made within two weeks and they would contact me. I followed up two weeks later only to find out they changed some of the roles of the position and were looking for someone with quite a bit more experience.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time when you had to go against the norm or take initiative?   Answer Question
    • Why would your current skill set make you the best candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Mortgage Fraud Investigator and Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I am quite perplexed? I applied for two different Mortgage Fraud jobs over 2 months ago. I have the CFE( Certified Fraud Examiner) credentials, have identified and investigated complex Mortgage Fraud schemes for over 10 years and I cant get a word out of FNMA?

Interview Questions

• I asked if there are any updates or when and if a decision will be made and the same H/R person keeps telling me he will get back with me and never does . This has happened 4 times in 2 months   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Herndon, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

This was the most "weirdly patterned " set of 3 interviews that I appeared for ; rather I wasted my precious time. The first phone screen by panel of 4 team members should have given the clue on what to expect, reasons being :
    - hiring mgr showed up late in all the interview sessions
    - questions were mostly focused on Stakeholder, process flow Management
    - not a single question on technical aspect
    - all questions were people-situation "what-if" scenarios

After 3 such round of interviews by 7 individuals altogether and each interview lasting over an hour and each time the hiring manager showed up late, so i had to repeat the feat again, and note that not a single question on database/query/any thing remotely Technical in any of the rounds of interviews.

The manager communicated back to my recruiter saying I do not have technical skills and she is looking for a BA with Technical skills.

When I heard the feedback , I burst into laughing my lungs out and honestly thought I saved the frustrating life that I would have had to spend by working for managers who have no clue on what they want their employees to accomplish... clear case of prejudice for fancy reasons best known to her.

Interview Questions

• Stakeholders management and process flow related questions   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by HR department to set up interview. Onsite interview in downtown Washington DC. No compensation for travel costs. Panel type interview. Results or decision was not forthcoming until at least four weeks after interview completed. Position was ultimately cancelled before position was filled.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about obtaining status that you need from other team members with different roles?   Answer Question

Legal Operations Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied through FM website. Received email from recruiter for phone interview a few weeks after. Interviewed with HR who asked questions about experience and how it related to position. Received call two days later to interview with hiring manager via telephone. Pleasant call. Asked about experience, and brought up things I told the recruiter. Invited me in to the office to meet the team for a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Why made you apply for this position?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle promoting change in an environment that people are tenured and not willing to change?   Answer Question
    • What do you do when the office is slow or not as just?   Answer Question
    • What steps will you take to complete a task or project. How many projects have you been involved in at once?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fannie Mae.

Interview

I was greeted quite friendly by the hiring manager, who explained the company to me briefly, as well as the interview process. I then took part in three separate interviews by three different groups, each lasting roughly 30 minutes. Each once went over my resume and asked me detailed questions about my skills and experiences, and sometimes challenged me to solve some sample problems. I received the results of my interview within 24 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a negative group experience in development, and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Not that painful. concise questions just be prepared with common sense interview answers and be calmed and paused.

Most of the behavioral questions were not difficult. When they give you a chance to expand your answers try to talk about your past experiences and be concise on your skills.

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest accomplishment in your career   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

Five one-on-one interviews in five hours. Most of them were very friendly and felt like your usual interview.

However, one interviewer was so rude that I was immediately turned off. I knew that even if I was given an offer, there was no way that I would be comfortable or happy working here.
    He started off by saying he was tired from a day of interviews. Every time I answered his question, he would give me a blank stare and snap back in a sarcastic tone of voice. This was even when I got the question correct, he would snap and just say "okay, let's move on". I have never been part of such a horrible encounter, let alone during an interview.

Remember, an interview is not only the firm's way of getting to know a candidate, but a candidate's way to know the firm. This right here was a red flag to me.

Interview Questions

• Three case interviews based off of economic and statistical knowledge.   Answer Question