Fannie Mae Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.8

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Herndon, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

This was the most "weirdly patterned " set of 3 interviews that I appeared for ; rather I wasted my precious time. The first phone screen by panel of 4 team members should have given the clue on what to expect, reasons being :
    - hiring mgr showed up late in all the interview sessions
    - questions were mostly focused on Stakeholder, process flow Management
    - not a single question on technical aspect
    - all questions were people-situation "what-if" scenarios

After 3 such round of interviews by 7 individuals altogether and each interview lasting over an hour and each time the hiring manager showed up late, so i had to repeat the feat again, and note that not a single question on database/query/any thing remotely Technical in any of the rounds of interviews.

The manager communicated back to my recruiter saying I do not have technical skills and she is looking for a BA with Technical skills.

When I heard the feedback , I burst into laughing my lungs out and honestly thought I saved the frustrating life that I would have had to spend by working for managers who have no clue on what they want their employees to accomplish... clear case of prejudice for fancy reasons best known to her.

Interview Questions

• Stakeholders management and process flow related questions   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by HR department to set up interview. Onsite interview in downtown Washington DC. No compensation for travel costs. Panel type interview. Results or decision was not forthcoming until at least four weeks after interview completed. Position was ultimately cancelled before position was filled.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about obtaining status that you need from other team members with different roles?   Answer Question

Legal Operations Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied through FM website. Received email from recruiter for phone interview a few weeks after. Interviewed with HR who asked questions about experience and how it related to position. Received call two days later to interview with hiring manager via telephone. Pleasant call. Asked about experience, and brought up things I told the recruiter. Invited me in to the office to meet the team for a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Why made you apply for this position?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle promoting change in an environment that people are tenured and not willing to change?   Answer Question
    • What do you do when the office is slow or not as just?   Answer Question
    • What steps will you take to complete a task or project. How many projects have you been involved in at once?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fannie Mae.

Interview

I was greeted quite friendly by the hiring manager, who explained the company to me briefly, as well as the interview process. I then took part in three separate interviews by three different groups, each lasting roughly 30 minutes. Each once went over my resume and asked me detailed questions about my skills and experiences, and sometimes challenged me to solve some sample problems. I received the results of my interview within 24 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a negative group experience in development, and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Not that painful. concise questions just be prepared with common sense interview answers and be calmed and paused.

Most of the behavioral questions were not difficult. When they give you a chance to expand your answers try to talk about your past experiences and be concise on your skills.

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest accomplishment in your career   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

Five one-on-one interviews in five hours. Most of them were very friendly and felt like your usual interview.

However, one interviewer was so rude that I was immediately turned off. I knew that even if I was given an offer, there was no way that I would be comfortable or happy working here.
    He started off by saying he was tired from a day of interviews. Every time I answered his question, he would give me a blank stare and snap back in a sarcastic tone of voice. This was even when I got the question correct, he would snap and just say "okay, let's move on". I have never been part of such a horrible encounter, let alone during an interview.

Remember, an interview is not only the firm's way of getting to know a candidate, but a candidate's way to know the firm. This right here was a red flag to me.

Interview Questions

• Three case interviews based off of economic and statistical knowledge.   Answer Question

Project Manager II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fannie Mae.

Interview

The recruiter called me to screen then called back the next day to request I come in for panel interview. The interview process was done in 2 panels of 3-managers each; the interviewing managers had a range of experience and thus, had different levels of questioning.

Interview Questions

• With the more senior managers, some of the interview questions centered around specifics concerning creating a project plan.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was generous, in fact, the hiring manager offered more than the recruiter and I initially discussed.

Senior Applications Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Herndon, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Got a call from FannieMae and a phone screening was set up , phone screening happened within 3 days , questions were mostly basic technical , got good feedback and was called in for an in person interview. In person interview was taken by three persons and was asked lot of questions technical and behavioral as well. Somehow i didn't liked the attitude they had and was not getting a good vibe ,although i was able to answer most of their questions.

Total process was about 2 weeks , after 2 weeks i get an email from HR saying the position that i had applied for was cancelled .

Interview Questions

• 1)You want to run a java program in unix but somehow it refuses to run , what are the steps you will take to resolve , Interviewer wanted to know about classpath .
      2) What is a group by function
      3) How to change permissions in unix for a file.
      4) What is synchronous vs asynchronous messaging in Jboss and which one is preferred.
      5) How will you do thread dump analysis via command line and other tools.
      6) Have you ever tuned JVM?
      6) How will you handle a high priority incident alone.
      Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Interview

they hire through SOW vendor and they don't ask much. only vendor talk to the person. manager don't know much and she is there because of her manager is helping her. its a big loss for the company because of her

Accounting & FinanceProgram Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC).

Interview

I met the recruiter and some analysts at a career fair and interviewed the next day. The interview was mostly behavioral with some technical questions thrown in there. Pretty standard questions - why Fannie, what does Fannie do, describe the mortgage market. From what I can remember the technical Q's had to do with evaluating risk, WACC. The second round was a week or two later at the HQ in DC. Very cookie-cutter behavioral interviews broken into a few rounds. One round is a case study.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the cost of capital?   1 Answer
    • What are the types of financial risks?   Answer Question