Fashion Institute of Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fashion Institute of Technology Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was rather quick . Within a day or two of going on the interview I received an offer. The department was short-staffed as two admins requested a move to another department. I was interviewed by a former VP and a Special Assistant (now Assistant Dean of Students). There was definitely a power struggle between the two interviewers at the time which made the interview feel quite uncomfortable and awkward. I felt as though the assistant dean was always trying to cut off the VP from talking... it came across as rude, overbearing, and controlling. Hindsight, I wish I didn't dismiss this feeling. I can tell you from experience that the department posts jobs to make the search process seem legit. The only candidates that are given consideration are candidates that the VP has worked with personally or (knows someone who has to give the inside scoop), hiring someone that the assistant dean approves of simply because the VP and Assistant Dean of Students are friends outside of the workplace, and promoting office staff members (outside candidates are contacted for an interview to give the false perception that an active, non-biased search is taking place when in actuality these people never had a shot). Don't waste your time applying to the Executive Assistant position that will be posted in the next month or so. The spot is already being handed to the current Administrative Assistant to the Dean in the office. The Exec. Asst. position will become available once the admin spot is filled. Staff from other departments are allowed to interview, but are not even considered because they can't be fired if the VP decides she doesn't like them. The institution promotes affirmative action and also pushes the whole quota system while reviewing resumes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this reverse discrimination?

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY).

Interview

Was called in for two rounds of interviews, both were short and sweet but stayed within the tradition "interview questions" rather than diving any deeper. The process was longer than expected for a position that demanded an immediate hire, and the first round interviewers were not in the positions of authority I expected of the first meeting.

Associate Director, Residence Life Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology in February 2016.

Interview

The HR representative offered me a 30-minute in person interview with the search committee. As I did not live in NYC (I'm from PA), I requested if I could have a phone or Skype interview. The HR rep told me that they would consult with the search committee. The next day, I was informed that the committee was only conducting in-person interviews. I then inquired about travel reimbursements, to which HR stated that anything within a 120 mile radius of the campus is considered local, so there is no reimbursement. I declined the interview, because it was not worth the time or money to travel to NYC at my expense for a 30 minute interview. In this field, this is highly unusual, and most first-round interviews are on the phone/Skype, and overall I felt that it was a testament to the institution's lack of desire to attract good candidates who are not from th NYC area.

Interview Questions

• Would I be willing to come to NYC for a 30-minute interview (phone/Skype interview not permitted).   Answer Question

Assistant Media Manager (Museum) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied in October, interviewed in November, rejected in December. Interviewer accused me of lying about skills that I never claimed I had (did not state on my resume or cover letter, never mentioned supposed experience with that skill at any point in the interview). Was thoroughly humiliated in front of higher ups. Completely unprofessional behavior.

Communication Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY).

Interview

Went through my portfolio. Took the time to go through each piece. Asked a few questions about my process and what kind of experience I had (school etc.) Also asked questions non portfolio related to get to know what kind of person I was. Very personal and professional

Underappreciated Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology.

Interview

The interview process for getting in here initially was smooth. But that was only because the position was vacant for like a year or more so they were ready to just throw someone in there. But it worked out to my benefit l, so I guess no complaints there. But fast forward to the future and me trying to advance my career. Unless you know the person hiring and they already told they would hire you, don't waste your time applying. These people only hire based on friendships and such. They actually go through the process of hiring just for show. So others could 'feel' like they actually had a shot at the position, when in all actuality, they never stood a chance.

Interview Questions

• What can you offer FIT?
      Greatest strengths/weaknesses?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      Why do you want this position?
      What's your typical work day like?   Answer Question

Writing Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Very informal. Candidates are asked to submit a writing sample. One-on-one interview with the director. Questions about experience and working as a tutor before. Interview was not difficult. Cover letter and resume are required.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a student who didn't want to work with you?   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

i get call in for an interview and the main supervisor was the one i meet with. the office was busy but he made time to speack with me. he was very nice an talked with a kide voice.

Interview Questions

• he asked how offten you were late to work in the last six months i told him 3. he asked about call out i said very really.   Answer Question

Student Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Drop off resume and chat with manager casually about availability and experience with printing. Followed up every few days to make sure I wasn't forgotten and was very friendly do the other staff there.

Resident Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology.

Interview

There are two steps to the interview process- the individual interview and the group interview. The individual interview is pretty straightforward. You interview with several different people, including building managers, resident councilors, and current RAs. Make sure to show that you care about campus/community involvement. Mention past volunteer work, school clubs, etc.
    During the group interview, you will be monitored while you complete a bunch of group tasks. Just try to show that you're a team player- make eye contact, show good listening skills, be willing to take a leadership position or follow someone else's lead.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had to enforce a residential life policy you didn't agree with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.