Fastenal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.2

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bryan, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Bryan, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Drove to the store over 4 hours, manager agreed that I meet his boss for another final interview. That's where it ended. Lack of respect for individuals time and unprofessional. No HR at this place. Save your time go somewhere else.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winona, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Fastenal (Winona, MN) in January 2012.

Interview

very odd… Seemed to be focused on math skills, not my ability to do the work. While the job was fairly routine, the demands and skills required seemed unrelated to the work I was seeking.

Interview Questions

It was obvious that they didn't want to use my skills.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Longview, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Placed application and resume online. After that, I was contacted by the branch manager for the store in which I was applying. Interview went very well (the best interview I ever had) and was told that he would pass it along to the district manager. Received a call approximately two weeks later to schedule another interview with the district manager. Interview went a little less well than the first but still very well in my opinion and was told yet again that a third interview was required with another district manager in another location. This interview was not at all like the first two. This guy really delved into my resume' and asked many many questions about every little intricacy of the entire document, which, in my opinon should have been the topic from the first interview but it catches your expectations off guard when you become complacent with the the first two interviews. He asked me why I hadnt finished school and I told him the answer and he laughed in a good way like a good ole' boy does. He told me that given my resume and most of my jobs I have had in the past how he couldnt see how I would fit into the trainee position. I must say I was really thrown by this guy who incidently told me he had never worked for any other company but Fastenal. This left me wondering why a job that only pays $2,000 per month before taxes would need such a strenuous process for a position which pays so little. And that led me to ask myself (I wanted to ask him this) why would someone with a Bachelor's in anything even be applying for a trainee position? Isnt this at the heart of why someone labors to complete their degree? To not have to settle for such menial positions? Is it an intelligent decision to let someone in a hiring position who cant have any real empathy for applicants since they havent worked in the job market? Anyway, I am still waiting for a call but the outlook from the third interview is bleek in my opinion since it didnt go very well in comparison to the other two.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fastenal in March 2012.

Interview

I was given a 'basic skills' test which turned out to offer more logic games and questions than did my LSAT. The test was seriously one of the most difficult things I have attempted and I'm not sure if it is a washout test or what - you test well, no interview, you quit - job offer. I finished and received no call - even with former management experience WITH THIS COMPANY.

Interview Questions

• Logic games - seeking answers based on scenarios and doing so in a timed capacity.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Saint Albans, VT) in January 2017.

Interview

1st of all I am not mad I did not get this job I am happy I had the experience they gave me to see the how unprofessional employees are at this company.
    My interview process was horrific. I applied as company policy stated. Online with resume, and cover letter. I got a call from HR to where a woman asked me questions then told me someone would be in touch. From then on all goes down hill. It took days to get a call, yet when I did the person set up my interview with them to be 1 week out. I go in and interview with him and first words are ... I don't make hiring decisions, my boss does, and if I like you, then you will meet with him and if he thinks you fit the job you will be hired. He also states people have been taking the position then quitting so they are offering the people they want to hire to shadow prior to acceptance. After meeting with who would be my boss, it took yet another 2 weeks to meet his boss. When I do he tells me he wants me to shadow for the job and after my immediate boss and I email on clothing to wear. He recommends I buy blue shirts and khakis wear dress shoes and bring boots to which I confirmed if he wanted steel toe. He stated to bring them if I had them. I didn't so I went without thinking I would ask other employees where they got theirs. I shadowed a woman, in tight grey hip hugger pants to which she did nothing but pull up after she bent over. She did not educate me on the company, but chose to speak of all the 30 year old bosses that were bald she worked for. During my interviews it was talked about that I would end up doing inside sales due to my previous experience. I felt the experience at both interviews and shadowing was not professional. Also, the person i shadowed should not have her phone with her in case of emergencies as she texted while driving and I felt unsafe. I knew she was texting our immediate boss as she told me to leave when we got back to the building and that the boss would ...be in touch. Now I am not stupid, that is the lazy bosses way of telling you you didn't get the job, but texting the delivery person you are shadowing to tell you this so the boss doesn't have to do his dirty work is very unprofessional. Yes, I emailed the boss to follow up as he has yet to respond...very unprofessional. I wonder if these practices are taught in Fastenal University? I was told I was going to be paid $12.00 hr, now th job does not exist for me as it is still online.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if I gave you some files of customers?   1 Answer
    • How would you feel being here at the store making calls to customers?   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fastenal (Pensacola, FL) in November 2012.

Interview

Online job screen thru the previsor software. Was super difficult and time consuming. then a phone interview with RSM that was pretty general. I found out later that they knew already who they were going to put in that position so it seemed like interview was just a formailty

Interview Questions

• Example of when you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Inside Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Ottawa, KS) in January 2016.

Interview

The hiring process is a fairly stream lined process. The process includes that you have to be invited to a very informal and short, but informative, over-the-phone interview with someone from HR. After making past that interview, you go on to the interview with the store manager who has the decision to make whether or not he/she believes you're a good fit for the company and the store. After making past the first two interviews, you get to interview with the General Manager, who then again decides your fate. After interviewing with the GM and Regional Manager, both will discuss whether or not you are fit to work at Fastenal. After the job offer is extended to you, you are required to take a drug analysis test for illegal drugs

Interview Questions

• What is your motivation to come to work?   2 Answers

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winona, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Winona, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I'm an IT professional who has a little experience in accounting. The position advertised was a Tech Support position, but the job description described some responsibilities that is suposed to be delegated to an accounting position. Confused, I clicked a link hoping to see if it was a job posting mistake, but to my surprise I was knee-deep in an hour-long application process. I worked my way through it, which was a never-ending list of questions, consisting of sections on math, personality and cultural fit. A week letter I received an email asking to come in for a job interview.

First I interviewed with two managers who happened to be awesome people. The conversation was very casual, and it was only then I really got to know about the position and that the job posting wasn't a mistake. They described that the position filled a need on maintaining credit card balances that they got pushed onto them. But primarily, it was a tech skill position that would help accounting on credit card balances. I had experience in matching the bank statements with the credit card settlements, and explained ways how I made it more efficient. They were excited and I think they felt confident as I was.

A few weeks later, I got a second interview with what I believe was the IT Director and the head of the accounting department. To my dismay, they didn't know if the position would still be an IT position because--rightfully so--it was originally in the accounting department. So they were looking more for someone who could do more accounting than IT, but couldn't decide for themselves if they wanted it to be IT or Accounting. So I was bombarded with questions that didn't match any of my skill sets or experience that was expected on the job application. It was a complete 180 of everything I learned in the first interview. I flat out told them I couldn't do the position, because at that point my time was being wasted.

Interview Questions

• What is your background in accounting?   1 Answer

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Westlake, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

Had an interview with general manager and district manager. Had to get drug tested. Had a math like/ account management type of mini 20 min quiz when submitting application online.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Atlanta, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position, heard back from the Store Manager of the branch I applied for about 5 business days later. Had an interview with the Store Manager and District Manager the next day. Interview was a little tough but I am relatively new to sales and the business. Most of the questions seemed standard but others were person and really got me thinking. I haven't been challenged like that in quite some time by an employer but I am glad I was because my answers are what got me the position. Entire process took about two weeks, includes the first week of waiting for a response to get an interview and waiting on drug testing results to come back. All in all I would say Fastenal has their ducks in a row and they are true to their word.

Interview Questions

• What are some long term goals with the company? (Longer than 15 years)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offered a fair salary and the the District Mgr added an extra $100.00 a month for the drive I had to make. Its only a 30 min drive but definitely not going to turn down money!