Fastenal Outside Sale Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2017

2.1

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

a scripted interview, very mechanical, not very much room for improvisation, expected rehearsed and standard interview answers. Met with two managers in an office there were appx 15 questions. The interview took appx 30 minutes. I was passed on to the next interview. It is a three stage process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Fastenal

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

It was a brief interview, we chatted over the phone once and then met again in person. It was a very quick process, I was offered the job 2 weeks after the first phone interview.

Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (North Haven, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

Initial meeting was very short with store manager then moved to second interview with District Manager. A bit more detailed during the second round, overall descent experience.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Most of the company hires from in house. Normally you would start out as a support services employee learning the branch operations and product. From there you would move into a more active role with Outside sales taking care of your own accounts and establishing relationships. The inter view process for the outside sales position will be based on how you approach your customers and personality. Since it has been over four years since I was employed by Fastenal I believe their structure has changed.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell this pen to a customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Research the company. They will have a number that they would like to give but if you hold your ground for what you are worth and if you are worth it you could get a compromise.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Very easy going interview process. A conversational interview is what I had. Mostly talking about what I feel sales and services was and how the two were related. Basic questions as to where you worked previously and what you did there.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Nashville, TN) in October 2014.

Interview

A test is required to even get an interview. The test is not a hard test, but many people fail it because it can be a little tricky. Once you get past that, you will typically have a phone screening where they just call to get to know you just a little bit before the 1:1 interview.

Anonymous Employee in Conroe, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Conroe, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Online application. Very brief interview. We had met at career fair and he liked me from there. Had a long process of filling out information online. Took a drug test. 1 on 1 was very easy. Just be honest.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Interview

The interview process was in two steps. First was with the GM and then with the GM and DM. Both were very laid back. I overdressed but I would still recommend this. Very easy going straight forward questions.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

You have to pass an online assessment that tests your personality type, as well as a 'think on your feet' questionnaire. It is designed to be very challenging so you need to try very hard, even if you are a smart person. Once you pass there is a face to face interview w/ your direct, prospective manager. If that goes well then there's an additional interview w/ the District Manager. The DM is an extremely tenured employee and is usually by nature very intimidating. They are looking for a person w/ strong mental toughness, man of action, alpha tendencies, self motivating, etc.

Negotiation

They do not negotiate pay very well, or at all. They are all too busy to pay attention to such unimportant things at it doesn't pertain to them.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Houston, TX).

Interview

2 interviews with different DMs and one ride along with one of the more vetted GMs. The whole process took about a month. They don't do a background check, only a driving record check. Felons are welcome to apply because they don't even check. You don't have to have a college degree to work there.

Interview Questions

• One of the managers asked me "why would you want to work for Fastenal of all places?" during my ride along. It was in a negative tone like I was making a mistake.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation and they avoid it as much as possible