Fastenal Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018

1.9

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

three part interview, I was recruited form a career fair. I followed up with a phone interview, then with a general manager. I then received a call form the District Manager for the final interview.

Interview Questions

• experience, what your goals are, how have you dealt with a stressful situation   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Fastenal

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Went through 2 interviews, one with the district manager through my college then one with a store manager. Study the corporate question list and you’ll be fine. Questions come directly from there

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Winchester, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview was done at the local store, in a small office. The Distric Manager and General Manager of the store will ask you various questions about your work history and your goals.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

I had 3 interviews one on the phone, one with the gm, and one with the district manager. It was easy but I felt a lot of pressure. They ask good questions and you should respond with reasonably accurate answers.

Interview Questions

• Do you see yourself staying within the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Two interviews. First, with the General Manager of the store you will be working with. Second, with the District Manager. The interview process has a standard set of boiler plate questions. Many of the questions are, why do you want to work here, what is your motivation to work, describe a time when...Etc. Pretty straight forward interviews taking about 45 minutes to an hour each. Quick turn around response time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had trouble with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Miami, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on the website and received a call a day later for a phone screen. I was asked about my experience, if I would work overtime, if I had any special training related to the position and if I would be willing to relocate if promoted. Had a followup call a few days later and was asked the same questions.

The followup call consisted mostly of the interviewer repeating the concept about how a good candidate needs to "want it" to be a good fit. After that, I was told that an internal candidate would preferred to fill the position and that there were positions available at other locations, but I would need to go back to the website to apply for each location.

Interview Questions

• Are you wiling to travel up to 50 miles if promoted.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fastenal (New Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

1st interview (phone) - what you know about the company, tell me something about yourself, details on the resume, and when are you available.
    2nd interview (store manager) - same with the first interview, with some additional questions about leadership and teamwork. Just go with the flow.
    3rd interview (district manager) - question about leadership skills, teamwork, and book of business

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email the following morning to call into HR, to confirm a few basic questions.

Got a call from a branch manager a few days later for a face to face interview. This interview was a 'get to know' kind of deal. At the close of that interview I was informed the next step would be a face to face with the district manager.

I followed up via email with the branch manager a few days later.

The next day the branch manager set up my interview with the DM.

The interview with DM was laid back. More of a 'getting to know you' getting to know you. What are your long term goals, getting a feel if your personality fits with the company ethos.

Got a call the next day with a offer, which would be final after a motor vehicle record pull and standard drug screen.

After those got back I was able to set a start date.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Saint Albans, VT) in January 2017.

Interview

1st of all I am not mad I did not get this job I am happy I had the experience they gave me to see the how unprofessional employees are at this company.
    My interview process was horrific. I applied as company policy stated. Online with resume, and cover letter. I got a call from HR to where a woman asked me questions then told me someone would be in touch. From then on all goes down hill. It took days to get a call, yet when I did the person set up my interview with them to be 1 week out. I go in and interview with him and first words are ... I don't make hiring decisions, my boss does, and if I like you, then you will meet with him and if he thinks you fit the job you will be hired. He also states people have been taking the position then quitting so they are offering the people they want to hire to shadow prior to acceptance. After meeting with who would be my boss, it took yet another 2 weeks to meet his boss. When I do he tells me he wants me to shadow for the job and after my immediate boss and I email on clothing to wear. He recommends I buy blue shirts and khakis wear dress shoes and bring boots to which I confirmed if he wanted steel toe. He stated to bring them if I had them. I didn't so I went without thinking I would ask other employees where they got theirs. I shadowed a woman, in tight grey hip hugger pants to which she did nothing but pull up after she bent over. She did not educate me on the company, but chose to speak of all the 30 year old bosses that were bald she worked for. During my interviews it was talked about that I would end up doing inside sales due to my previous experience. I felt the experience at both interviews and shadowing was not professional. Also, the person i shadowed should not have her phone with her in case of emergencies as she texted while driving and I felt unsafe. I knew she was texting our immediate boss as she told me to leave when we got back to the building and that the boss would ...be in touch. Now I am not stupid, that is the lazy bosses way of telling you you didn't get the job, but texting the delivery person you are shadowing to tell you this so the boss doesn't have to do his dirty work is very unprofessional. Yes, I emailed the boss to follow up as he has yet to respond...very unprofessional. I wonder if these practices are taught in Fastenal University? I was told I was going to be paid $12.00 hr, now th job does not exist for me as it is still online.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if I gave you some files of customers?   1 Answer
    • How would you feel being here at the store making calls to customers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fastenal (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was brief and to the point. It was conducted at the branch I interview for, everyone was very friendly and it only took a few days to get a response back.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any sales experience   1 Answer