Fastenal Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 1, 2017

1.8

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Miami, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on the website and received a call a day later for a phone screen. I was asked about my experience, if I would work overtime, if I had any special training related to the position and if I would be willing to relocate if promoted. Had a followup call a few days later and was asked the same questions.

The followup call consisted mostly of the interviewer repeating the concept about how a good candidate needs to "want it" to be a good fit. After that, I was told that an internal candidate would preferred to fill the position and that there were positions available at other locations, but I would need to go back to the website to apply for each location.

Interview Questions

• Are you wiling to travel up to 50 miles if promoted.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Fastenal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Fastenal (New Brunswick, NJ).

Interview

1st interview (phone) - what you know about the company, tell me something about yourself, details on the resume, and when are you available.
    2nd interview (store manager) - same with the first interview, with some additional questions about leadership and teamwork. Just go with the flow.
    3rd interview (district manager) - question about leadership skills, teamwork, and book of business

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email the following morning to call into HR, to confirm a few basic questions.

Got a call from a branch manager a few days later for a face to face interview. This interview was a 'get to know' kind of deal. At the close of that interview I was informed the next step would be a face to face with the district manager.

I followed up via email with the branch manager a few days later.

The next day the branch manager set up my interview with the DM.

The interview with DM was laid back. More of a 'getting to know you' getting to know you. What are your long term goals, getting a feel if your personality fits with the company ethos.

Got a call the next day with a offer, which would be final after a motor vehicle record pull and standard drug screen.

After those got back I was able to set a start date.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Saint Albans, VT) in January 2017.

Interview

1st of all I am not mad I did not get this job I am happy I had the experience they gave me to see the how unprofessional employees are at this company.
    My interview process was horrific. I applied as company policy stated. Online with resume, and cover letter. I got a call from HR to where a woman asked me questions then told me someone would be in touch. From then on all goes down hill. It took days to get a call, yet when I did the person set up my interview with them to be 1 week out. I go in and interview with him and first words are ... I don't make hiring decisions, my boss does, and if I like you, then you will meet with him and if he thinks you fit the job you will be hired. He also states people have been taking the position then quitting so they are offering the people they want to hire to shadow prior to acceptance. After meeting with who would be my boss, it took yet another 2 weeks to meet his boss. When I do he tells me he wants me to shadow for the job and after my immediate boss and I email on clothing to wear. He recommends I buy blue shirts and khakis wear dress shoes and bring boots to which I confirmed if he wanted steel toe. He stated to bring them if I had them. I didn't so I went without thinking I would ask other employees where they got theirs. I shadowed a woman, in tight grey hip hugger pants to which she did nothing but pull up after she bent over. She did not educate me on the company, but chose to speak of all the 30 year old bosses that were bald she worked for. During my interviews it was talked about that I would end up doing inside sales due to my previous experience. I felt the experience at both interviews and shadowing was not professional. Also, the person i shadowed should not have her phone with her in case of emergencies as she texted while driving and I felt unsafe. I knew she was texting our immediate boss as she told me to leave when we got back to the building and that the boss would ...be in touch. Now I am not stupid, that is the lazy bosses way of telling you you didn't get the job, but texting the delivery person you are shadowing to tell you this so the boss doesn't have to do his dirty work is very unprofessional. Yes, I emailed the boss to follow up as he has yet to respond...very unprofessional. I wonder if these practices are taught in Fastenal University? I was told I was going to be paid $12.00 hr, now th job does not exist for me as it is still online.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if I gave you some files of customers?   1 Answer
    • How would you feel being here at the store making calls to customers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fastenal (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was brief and to the point. It was conducted at the branch I interview for, everyone was very friendly and it only took a few days to get a response back.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any sales experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fulton, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Fulton, MO) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview was quick and painless, about 30 mins total. Had 2 interviews, one with GM and another with the DM. Was offered the job, but a turn of events within the company derailed that venture.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Met with district manager about the position, I was already working internally at the company as a PT employee. Then met with RVP, asked me typical job interview questions, it was relatively laid back.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be the best fir for the job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Carnegie, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fastenal (Carnegie, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

vary sample and straight forward. Just want to know if you can handle customers and have the ability to learn. After the interview they make you take a test thats sort of a math test. It is easy but they don't put much emphasis on the test when you actually interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a primary focus when building a business?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fastenal (Indianapolis, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

it was very laid back and easy. I knew who the person interviewing me was. I interviewed for a couple branches and then ultimately chose the one I did. The managers seemed great in the interview which is ultimately why I decided to go with working at fastenal.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for fastenal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Peoria, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

It was very basic interview process, you pretty much explain your resume. As well as why you would be an asset to Fastenal. The interview took maybe 30 minutes.