Fathom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Fathom

2.5

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley View, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fathom (Valley View, OH).

Interview

After going through the routine phone interview process, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. Nothing out of the ordinary was asked during the meeting, just the same old cliched interview questions. Was told that they'll get back to me "by mid march." Not only did they not get back to me by the said date, but completely ignored my two follow-up emails. I don't think I'll ever come across a more unprofessional and disrespectful bunch. Unless you're on the verge of bankruptcy or divorce, I recommend you look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Same questions you'd find in a "Top 5 Most Asked Interview Questions" BuzzFeed list.   Answer Question

SEO Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fathom (Cleveland, OH) in October 2015.

Interview

Reached out to the Recruiter, without applying for specific job opening. Was contacted by phone and set up with an interview with someone at the C-Suite level - email follow-up from the recruiter.

That first interview went well. After that interview, was contacted in about two hours by email from the recruiter asking to set up another phone interview for the following week with a team lead. That phone interview was set up for about a week later.

Second interview, with the Team Lead, went well. Was contacted the next day to set up and in-person interview with another Team Lead and a Solution Expert, who incidentally would eventually be my support person (boss). That interview was scheduled about a week in advance.

The in-person interview went well. Never really discussed money, but I did mention a few previous salaries. Two days later I received a great offer be email, and accepted on the spot.

Interview Questions

• They asked quite a few technical coding questions, due to the nature of the role. Some I knew the answers to. Some I didn't. A few questions were more like, "How would you handle this?" kind of scenarios. They were trying to get a sense of knowledge, as well as work ethic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fathom (Independence, OH) in March 2013.

Interview

The process was confusing, long and unfruitful. I was brought into the office on 3 separate occasions, after completing a phone assessment. The conclusion was that they did not have a spot for me at the present time, but that they felt it was a good match and that we would "keep in touch." It was quite a time investment for me and I truly felt surprised by their inability to properly communicate along the way where they stood. The process left me with an opinion of the group as unprofessional.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fathom.

Interview

My entire experience with Fathom was a hilarious amalgam of audacity, arrogance, laziness, and incompetence. I actually tried to keep an open mind after reading the venomous reviews on here. "They couldn't be *THAT* incompetent, could they?" I laughed to myself. How wrong I was.

I applied online to an account executive position and actually heard back the same day--within an hour. After a 15-minutes phone interview in which the recruiter told me I was "overqualified" for the position to which I applied, I was brought in for a meeting a week later with HR. Typical mind-numbing "tell me about yourself" in which she ticked boxes. I returned the next week for a "round-table" (read: unstructured and somewhat pointless) interview with 3 people I'd potentially be working with, though it was still unclear where exactly this account exec. position would fall. The people were very nice, but I did hear a lot of meaningless digital marketing buzzwords like "growth hacking" and alt-biz phrases like "kicking [expletive] for our clients." Kewl.

After providing the recruiter 5 (!) references, two of whom I know they took the time to contact, I was called back for yet another round-table interview, this time with 4 MORE people from different units of Fathom. Only 2 of them showed up. Naturally. They were nice! But 15 minutes late. Naturally. And they were somewhat bewildered as to where this position would actually be. Naturally. I'm sensing a general lack of communication among departments.

The interviews were very relaxed and easy, and the people did seem engaged and excited about my background and experience. However, the total disregard for my time and the absolute lack of any meaningful structure was extremely unsettling. If you can't even pretend to be organized and effective to your candidates, how can you run a business? Also, the other reviewer who mentioned the "tear-inducing" salary was spot on. This entire process lasted a month, and after I asked about feedback and timelines, I was told by the recruiter that I would hear back by end of week. Radio silence. Thankfully, I'd had several other companies lined up, and within two weeks had a great offer elsewhere, which I happily accepted.

Amazingly, the recruiter contacted me after 4 weeks of silence and without follow up. She actually wanted me to come in A FOURTH TIME for a FIFTH INTERVIEW to talk to someone in YET ANOTHER department in the company. HA! After double checking with my reality-meter that I was not, in fact, in some strange rehashing of a Kafka short story, I respectfully declined.

DON'T BOTHER.

Account Executive Interview

Interview

Conducted an initial phone interview to see if I match the skills required, came in for 1 face to face with the "HR" person and hiring manager, then came in for the offer.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fathom (Cleveland, OH) in June 2012.

Interview

Everyone was very welcoming and proud of their company.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of technical SEO best practices you've tried.   Answer Question

Email Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Fathom.

Interview

I had a pre-interview screening at a job fair and then was invited to meet in person in their Valley View office. The interview went well and I left feeling optimistic. I had to complete an extensive pre-hire reference assessment which took quite a bit to organize with 5 different colleagues (at least 2 bosses). I checked in a few times within the next weeks. My references began to ask me if I had heard anything... Not a thing! Even 3 months later. They really don't seem to have a heart for job hunters in a tough market.

Email Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley View, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fathom (Valley View, OH) in September 2010.

Interview

I heard of Fathom through my previous employer and contacted them regarding the position posted (Email Marketing). I received a call and did a pre-interview. I was then given the opportunity to do an onsite interview. Prior to that I was asked to complete an online survey. When I arrived for the interview I went through the standard process. I was then asked to complete a test regarding online marketing concepts. Once I completed the test I finished up the interview and left. After that I heard absolutely nothing from them. I followed up via phone and 2 emails (I still have the emails) and never head back. I have never encountered such an unfortunate lack of professionalism. I have a successful career and it is for the best I was not hired by Fathom but I will always have a low impression of the company due to their poor interviewing process. I hope they have made marked improvements in the years since.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected was the skills test I took. I understand why they offered it but it was a surprise.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fathom.

Interview

Was brought on via phone. Went to in-person interview. Easy interview. Great company. Here are some more words so I can get access to the premium account. Do you know what is fun? Drinking beer.

Online Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fathom in September 2014.

Interview

It's difficult to fathom the breakdown in communication and professionalism that is Fathom's hiring process (yes, their name lent itself nicely there didn't it?). It may be growing, but who ever said tumors can't grow?

Before I continue, let me refute any future PR campaign attempts on Glassdoor a.k.a fake positive reviews. Digital agencies make me smile.

Let's begin.

The interview process is set in motion by an online application, after which, you may receive a phone call to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview is a simple preliminary screening before they decide to invest time and resources. It'll take about 5 minutes - assuming you're prepared.

The first Interview:

You'll meet with HR in a very relaxed atmosphere. Prepare with for usual: TMAY, your long/short-term goals, cloaked behavioral questions and some straightforward questions.

Later, you may receive a phone call with further information.

Second Interview:

Based on the job you applied for, you may have to take more phone interviews. Keep in mind that communication between company segments is nonexistent, so you will be asked the same questions and go through the same resume evaluations once again.

After your second interview, you'll be contacted in roughly 2-3 weeks with more info.

The process may drag out over the course of several months and you may even be told the position evaporated into thin air.

In summary:

As a driven young professional who opted out of the tear-jerking salary offer and communication-less process, I say this: If you want a job at a company with no communication between it's business segments, apply to Fathom. If you want a job that lacks a competitive salary, apply to Fathom. If you want a job that offers friendly workplace where people seem to be nice, maybe apply to Fathom.

Otherwise, look for a company that proves to potential hires that they follow their own corporate culture and best practices. Your goal should be to learn more about the company during the interview process than they learn about you.

At this point you may think it doesn't matter, but who's going to be the one waking each day with soulless eyes regret in their heart?

Not me.