Federal Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

2.9

Senior IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Vienna, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

Long and Difficult - There were 3 separate interviews to get the job. I first spoke to the Senior Group Chief or Senior Executive in Charge of the Intelligence Community Technology Group; then I ended up working for his Deputy because I broke my ankle right after the 2-day onboarding process; which explained the purpose of the organization; introduced the Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, or Chiefs of Staff of the organization; then put individual employees into the 'care and feeding' or general management of the specific section where one was supposed to work.

Interview Questions

• What did or were the restrictions that your doctor put upon your work? This was included in the Second Round of Interviews which included several of my colleagues because I had broken my left ankle while out running to get exercise because my previous employer- the Defense Intelligence Agency required or encouraged its employees to get exercise by setting aside 2.5 hours of work time that one could get - that is the Defense Intelligence Agency - exercise!   1 Answer
    • How much sick leave in hours had I previously accumulated?   1 Answer
    • To handle the most difficult of the existing problems because I had - under doctor's orders been out of the office for 3 of the 2-4 weeks the doctor specified. I chose 3 weeks because the first of 3 required surgeries had been completed the last working day before I had returned to work.   1 Answer

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bujumbura (Burundi)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Bujumbura (Burundi)) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process involves contacting multiple managers at different levels of the organization. Other rquirements include extensive background checking and unofficial reviews of contact reccomendations. The acutal hiring offer is done remotely and requires a group to agree on you skills for the position.

Registered Nurse Utilization Review Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (San Antonio, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

Five member panel and two interview processes. I went to the library and checked out a video on KSOAS, the process used for federal employment hiring, and folllowed the guidelines and suggestions for interviewing. At the interview I submitted my current annual Registered Nurse proficiency report and a written recommendadtion from the time I worked in an accounting office. It is good to let prospective employees know other skills you posess outside of what they are specifically interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• What did you do, as a nurse, that changed the outcome of a patient's care for the better, besides your regular routine care.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not a negotiation phase. The job posting was detailed and complete.

Border Patrol Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (State College, PA) in September 2011.

Interview

This was a 5 on 1 interview. It was clear that one person on the panel had the sole purpose of acting as an agitator in order to get the applicant to loose their temper or raise his/her voice. Every word was scrutinized. Comments from the agitator tended to be focused on any minor (or perceived) imperfection in tone, language, and even (once) emphasis on a word.

Interview Questions

• (Yelling) What do you mean by taking care of business?!?   1 Answer

Contracting Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC).

Interview

Long, periods with no update, hurry up and wait, Interview was extremely structured panel interview. Involved personality and IQ tests to determine eligibility. Security clearance process took months. Asked extremely personal questions to "peal back your personal onion".

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to sacrifice what you wanted to do for the greater good.   2 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Khās Sauli (Pakistan)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Government (Khās Sauli (Pakistan)) in August 2013.

Interview

I attended an interview but they had to blind fold me before entering a special room in the cone of silence. Once in the cone of silence they asked me a number of questions, then when they realised I couldn't hear, they used special flash cards which they destroyed after using.

Interview Questions

we had a communication barrier

Supervisory IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC).

Interview

Panel Interview from multiple level supervisors. Interview was based on intimidation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It is government, There is no negotiation

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in January 2010.

Interview

interviewed by incompetent manager who had no business speaking with people, much less as a manager.

Deputy Division Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

I walked into a room with a panel of interviewers around a table and one empty chair with a piece of paper on the table with questions. I was told I had 30 minutes to answer the questions. So began the process. I read questions to myself and then began to answer them. No one around the table said a word the entire time I was at the table! I answered all the questions and everyone just kept writing on their own paper. No one asked me anything.

Interview Questions

• How do you define your success after one year in this job?   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in December 2012.

Interview

It was a group interview of about 5 people; the questions were tough, but fair. They asked 10 questions then asked if I had any questions. They clearly described the position and expectations. I was called for a second interview within a week then I was interviewed by 2 staff members that I would be working with. The process was challenging, but I learned a lot about the organization and the people that helped me make an informed decision when I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult challenge I had in my current position and how did I manage/handle it?   Answer Question