Federal Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

2.9

Vsr Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Government (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Behavioral-based Interview. Several questions were asked from a panel of senior management. It lasted approximately 30min. They want you to be clear, precise, direct, and cover all parts of the question. Afterwards, they want you to type up some information in essay format. They review their notes from the panel interview and their notes from your written summary and base their decisions on that.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where you disagreed with what your supervisor told you to do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Alexandria, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Met with three senior managers, none of whom were in the legal field. HR person took the lead, no followups by any of them and difficult to establish any personal connection.

Interview Questions

• Provided a hypothetical situation and asked me to assess. Their question had multiple subparts, seemed as though they took it from an inteview book   Answer Question

Work Study Student Interview

Interview

Very easy interview. No curve ball questions. Dress to impress and be punctual and you will get the job. The main focus of the job is office support, so be prepared for questions that have to do with customer service, ability to use MS Office programs, and add any experience you may have to working in an office setting.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to process students' GI Bill benefits?   1 Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Hueneme, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Port Hueneme, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

1.A panel of three people: the director, two lead program analysts.
    2.The difficult part is to make it to the best-qualified pool and wait until the hiring manager exhausts the CTAP/ICTAP and veterans then it's your turn. OPM's job is to rate based on your education, experience, how your skills match what the job requires (look for keywords). There are tips on govjobs.gov and other website. You really need a good resume (not a typical private sector resume)
    3.they are friendly and try not to scare you.
    4. A set of questions on a sheet they have to rate. 10% each for 10 questions
    5. Takes about 60 mins.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions and some job-related questions. If you don't have the answer, that is okay too. They don't expect you to know everything government does, they will train you (that is why they have lots of veterans, I don't think veterans receive enough education to do a job). If you make it to best-qualified pool, you are qualified. They just want to know if the team can work well with you.   1 Answer
    • They ask me if I know Excel, Powerpoint and experience in using ERP system such as SAP.   1 Answer

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Government (Kansas City, MO) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview was low pressure and took less than 1 hour. Two people interviewed me and asked pretty routine questions concerning my experience. No trick questions or booby traps. Interview was held in the hiring manager's office. Both interviewers were very professional and considerate. At the end of the interview they said they would get back with me on their decision. My recruiter contacted within 5 minutes - I hadn't left the parking lot yet - to say they wanted to make me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in leaving your current position.   1 Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

Sent in my resume, had an interview, was offered the job but then took several months to make it official. The interview was average, I met with everyone in the office.

Interview Questions

• How do you react to feedback?   1 Answer

Can't Say Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

Panel - supervisory and peers together. During the question process, pick an example of your work that is actually challenging- working on a difficult research paper may not trump a combat vets decision of how to successfully clear out a location filled with enemy combatants. Your thought process, utilization of available resources, and successful outcome are important to communicate effectively to the panel.

Contracting Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC).

Interview

Long, periods with no update, hurry up and wait, Interview was extremely structured panel interview. Involved personality and IQ tests to determine eligibility. Security clearance process took months. Asked extremely personal questions to "peal back your personal onion".

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to sacrifice what you wanted to do for the greater good.   2 Answers

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

It was a phone interview. After the interview they called me about a week later to offer me the job. I accepted & the background process started a week or two after that.

Interview Questions

• They asked me where I saw myself in 5yrs. If I saw myself still within the agency and government in general.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

Situational questions asking for examples of what you did in the past in this or that type of situation. Basic questions about your years of experience handling basic administrative tasks. Not much about actual law or legal issues. Met with two members of the office who ran through a list of questions and took notes on what I said. The general atmosphere was friendly and laid back. They offered to set up a skype interview at first but I said that I would rather come in and meet them face to face. The whole interview lasted about an hour or two. I didn't get the impression that the interview really mattered a great deal. The qualification that really matters probably depends on the hiring manager, but they won't tell you what they are really looking for upfront because there are so many HR requirements that they have to get through first.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which a co-worker repeatedly makes a similar mistake in his or her work and you are not this person's supervisor. (wording was something like this)   1 Answer