Federal Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Federal Government Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2017

Civil Servant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

long and drawn out process. Alot of the questions asked are about your background and how it applies to the job in the federal gov. standard sort of thing. but the qualifications they seem to want have little to do with the actual work you'll do.

Interview Questions

• background mostly and how it applies to working in an office   Answer Question

Criminal Investigator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

The interview process consist of questions asked by senior federal agents and management. The interview questions can't be disclosed as we all had to sign a agreement stating that we would not talk about the questions.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied on USAjobs. Got called for the in-person interview. It was a panel interview that took about an hour. Each interviewer asked related questions. Interviewers were so patients and got interested as the interview progressed.

Interview Questions

• Basically behavioural questions and a lot of technical questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a firm offer

Federal Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Federal Government (Madison, WI).

Interview

Experience in problem resolution, confident, verbal, intelligent, knowledge of the rules of how the games are played and how to work with them and when to challenge them. Ability to edit form that are to be submitted to the public, eg: in error message above "atleast" should be "at least".

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to work here?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Interview

It was a long process between submitting application, communcication on status, interview and hiring. Five person interview team with each person asking a different question in succession. Technical and EEO participants.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

long

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

Met with lots of people. All were nice. Questions were standard. Nothing to get nervous about. Make sure you can explain your long term goals. And make sure you know what projects different people are working on so you can talk about them even if you don't know much about the studies.

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate with government jobs.

Interview

In accordance with 5 CFR 338, this site contains policy established by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for General Schedule (GS) (or equivalent) white collar occupations in the Federal Government. This information is primarily for Federal agencies that need to determine whether applicants meet the minimum requirements for the positions being filled.
    Qualification standards are intended to identify applicants who are likely to perform successfully on the job, and to screen out those who are unlikely to do so. The standards are not designed to rank candidates, identify the best qualified applicants for particular positions, or otherwise substitute for a careful analysis of the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities.
    You may locate specific topics regarding qualifications policy by clicking on "General Policies" in the second tab. "General Policies" contain the following information

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

I applied for an internship on usajobs.gov. I was called in for an interview. The process included having to hand-write write a timed essay. I later met with two senior officials. I was made an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your work? Describe how you procrastinate, because we all do it.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

One interview, 5 panelists from across Agency. Since my SES qualifications were already established and certified by OPM, not as much time spent on ECQ-related issues. More questions on technology and budget. Not as much on supervisory issues. Several panelists were in the room and then 2 on telecon. Round-robin questions, lasted about an hour.

Web Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

Wouldn't try unless you're a U.S. military veteran. I have zero colleagues who got hired who are not vets. Process is straightforward. Of the vets the highest qualified is hired. All things being equal the highest qualified with what's perceived as a good personality is hired. So stay upbeat and positive during interview.

Interview Questions

• No surprises. All questions are canned: "Tell me a time when ...." Make sure you resume answers all questions because typically specific skill-related questions are not asked. It's presumed you're qualified if you get an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Based on salary history. If you're a fed transfering there is little negotiation. If you're coming from the outside you might be able to negotiate a few steps, but not grades. Also, do not negotiate work/life until you're on board. Generally, work/life is excellent, so bringing it up during the interview or offer period might impact you getting the job. Or at the very least leave a bad taste in the hiring official's mouht.