Federal Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

2.9

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

Situational questions asking for examples of what you did in the past in this or that type of situation. Basic questions about your years of experience handling basic administrative tasks. Not much about actual law or legal issues. Met with two members of the office who ran through a list of questions and took notes on what I said. The general atmosphere was friendly and laid back. They offered to set up a skype interview at first but I said that I would rather come in and meet them face to face. The whole interview lasted about an hour or two. I didn't get the impression that the interview really mattered a great deal. The qualification that really matters probably depends on the hiring manager, but they won't tell you what they are really looking for upfront because there are so many HR requirements that they have to get through first.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which a co-worker repeatedly makes a similar mistake in his or her work and you are not this person's supervisor. (wording was something like this)   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

I was a direct hire from a contractor position. Normally they bring the candidate in for a group interview and discuss technologies used and ask about what the employee brings to the table. The senior management is selected due to career mobility and placed in positions which they might not like but have to deal with.

Interview Questions

• Describe several design patterns used in software engineering and give some examples when you would use them.   Answer Question

Background Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Federal Government (Lawton, OK) in June 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by a board of 3 people---one boss, two potential peer investigators. We met at a hotel and had a basic question/answer session. It was via shotgun---no specific order, they just asked questions as they saw fit. Not fast paced. It was friendly and not provocative. Business casual was the attire. Coat, tie, slacks, so on. Church clothes in other words.

Interview Questions

• "Can you detail how you have placed customer satisfaction first?" (hand-written response required)

"Describe how you think your daily routine will appear should you be hired."

"What special skills do you bring that will outshine your competition?"

"Do you have any questions for any board member?"   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government in June 2015.

Interview

Based on knowledge of the Yellow Book (Audit Standards for Govt). This was a phone interview with 2 people on the line. They wanted examples of different audit situations, dealing with difficult people on audits, documentation (workpaper) standards. You have to know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

• Elements of a finding. (condition, criteria, cause......... )
      Workpaper standards (purpose, source, scope...... )   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through USA Jobs in February, was interviewed in April and was offered a position in July. Hiring process was fairly standard compared with other interviews I have done, just seemed to take incredibly long. Although everyone I encountered through the process was exceptionally friendly and helpful. There can also be a pretty overwhelming orientation period when starting as there are many additional federal policies and regulations that do not exist elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you handled a difficult situation?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when someone on your team wasn't doing their fair share of work and how you responded?   1 Answer
    • Explain your analytical skills and how they would help the agency accomplish its mission   1 Answer
    • What do you know about our agency?   1 Answer

Public Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was done by panel of three persons over the phone, questions were behavioral based. Manager was evasive about answering my questions. Should have been my first clue. Didn't hear from them for a month, and then they wanted an answer in a day. Wanted me to report within 2 weeks, even though I was moving over 1000 miles at my own expense.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your manager, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

HR Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government in April 2015.

Interview

Submit 8 required Knowledge, Skills and Ability requirements along with a resume. The KSAs were reviewed and graded on a scale of 1-3. Any score of zero removes you from consideration. Once the KSAs were scored the resumes were evaluated for the top two candidates and the top 5 candidates were interviewed by a panel of three who made the selection.

Interview Questions

• What innovations have you brought to your department.   1 Answer

Secretary (OA) Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government in March 2015.

Interview

Timely process. Submitted my package around the end of Jan 2015. Notified by mail probably 2-3 wks later that my package had been received. March 2015 I was notified by email for an interview the following day. Upon entrance noticed two individuals that would conduct the interview. They proceeded to introduce themselves followed by a description of the job for which I was interviewing. Following the description they proceeded to ask question from a 3-4 page packet, alternating after each question. Concluding questions asked, I had the opportunity to ask questions as well. Tentative offer the same day (background check ect..) Formal offer 2 wks later.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based. Customer service "how would you...?" "Tell me a time when...." Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

The interview process consist of questions asked by senior federal agents and management. The interview questions can't be disclosed as we all had to sign a agreement stating that we would not talk about the questions.

Civil Servant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

long and drawn out process. Alot of the questions asked are about your background and how it applies to the job in the federal gov. standard sort of thing. but the qualifications they seem to want have little to do with the actual work you'll do.

Interview Questions

• background mostly and how it applies to working in an office   Answer Question