Federal Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

2.9

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

Met with lots of people. All were nice. Questions were standard. Nothing to get nervous about. Make sure you can explain your long term goals. And make sure you know what projects different people are working on so you can talk about them even if you don't know much about the studies.

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate with government jobs.

Interview

In accordance with 5 CFR 338, this site contains policy established by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for General Schedule (GS) (or equivalent) white collar occupations in the Federal Government. This information is primarily for Federal agencies that need to determine whether applicants meet the minimum requirements for the positions being filled.
    Qualification standards are intended to identify applicants who are likely to perform successfully on the job, and to screen out those who are unlikely to do so. The standards are not designed to rank candidates, identify the best qualified applicants for particular positions, or otherwise substitute for a careful analysis of the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities.
    You may locate specific topics regarding qualifications policy by clicking on "General Policies" in the second tab. "General Policies" contain the following information

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

I applied for an internship on usajobs.gov. I was called in for an interview. The process included having to hand-write write a timed essay. I later met with two senior officials. I was made an offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your work? Describe how you procrastinate, because we all do it.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

One interview, 5 panelists from across Agency. Since my SES qualifications were already established and certified by OPM, not as much time spent on ECQ-related issues. More questions on technology and budget. Not as much on supervisory issues. Several panelists were in the room and then 2 on telecon. Round-robin questions, lasted about an hour.

Web Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

Wouldn't try unless you're a U.S. military veteran. I have zero colleagues who got hired who are not vets. Process is straightforward. Of the vets the highest qualified is hired. All things being equal the highest qualified with what's perceived as a good personality is hired. So stay upbeat and positive during interview.

Interview Questions

• No surprises. All questions are canned: "Tell me a time when ...." Make sure you resume answers all questions because typically specific skill-related questions are not asked. It's presumed you're qualified if you get an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Based on salary history. If you're a fed transfering there is little negotiation. If you're coming from the outside you might be able to negotiate a few steps, but not grades. Also, do not negotiate work/life until you're on board. Generally, work/life is excellent, so bringing it up during the interview or offer period might impact you getting the job. Or at the very least leave a bad taste in the hiring official's mouht.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

The hiring process varies depending on which federal agency or department you work for--and if you have prior government or military experience. USA JOBS the portal / website where all federal opportunities are posted. Although specific organizations also post jobs on their specific websites. Be aware of the window for the application. And also note your application is flagged if either you are too senior or too junior for a position.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Government (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Very grueling. The interview was short and sweet. the initial paperwork and battery of tests took about 8+ hours per day for 3-4 days. Then you get sworn in and issued a badge. Back ground check took weeks. classroom training took about a week and on the job training took several months. Then you get to bid as the lowest seniority person for a shift (Maybe only part time) , and for your days off and work area.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected question in the interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no. Everything is regulated by the Government, and written in stone.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview

I found the job online. After searching through several contacts, I luckily found someone that could help me craft a great resume. My best advice is to look into the department you want to work in and find someone already there. Online makes it very easy.

Interview Questions

• I was hired off my resume and experience. No interview was needed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. It is a pay scale.

Senior Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government in June 2014.

Interview

Hiring process took 4 months after applying. Lots of patience required since getting updates was an uphill battle against a behemoth bureaucracy. The status on USAJobs is not reliable. I've been on the job for 4 months and the status still shows that nobody is hired yet. Be prepared for more waiting after the interview.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Government (Nashville, TN) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied to USAjobs.gov, waited about 2 weeks, was called for phone interview, waited another 2 weeks, received offer, submitted resignation, completed online forms for background check and was hired all under about 50 days.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were up against several deadlines at once.   Answer Question