Federal Government Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.2

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC).

Interview

It is a behavioral interview. Fit type questions. Tell me about a time when you etc etc etc etc etc. The end. Is that 30 words yet. I think it is bye

Deputy Division Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

I walked into a room with a panel of interviewers around a table and one empty chair with a piece of paper on the table with questions. I was told I had 30 minutes to answer the questions. So began the process. I read questions to myself and then began to answer them. No one around the table said a word the entire time I was at the table! I answered all the questions and everyone just kept writing on their own paper. No one asked me anything.

Interview Questions

• How do you define your success after one year in this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Alexandria, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Met with three senior managers, none of whom were in the legal field. HR person took the lead, no followups by any of them and difficult to establish any personal connection.

Interview Questions

• Provided a hypothetical situation and asked me to assess. Their question had multiple subparts, seemed as though they took it from an inteview book   Answer Question

Contracting Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC).

Interview

Long, periods with no update, hurry up and wait, Interview was extremely structured panel interview. Involved personality and IQ tests to determine eligibility. Security clearance process took months. Asked extremely personal questions to "peal back your personal onion".

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to sacrifice what you wanted to do for the greater good.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through USA Jobs in February, was interviewed in April and was offered a position in July. Hiring process was fairly standard compared with other interviews I have done, just seemed to take incredibly long. Although everyone I encountered through the process was exceptionally friendly and helpful. There can also be a pretty overwhelming orientation period when starting as there are many additional federal policies and regulations that do not exist elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you handled a difficult situation?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when someone on your team wasn't doing their fair share of work and how you responded?   1 Answer
    • Explain your analytical skills and how they would help the agency accomplish its mission   1 Answer
    • What do you know about our agency?   1 Answer

Public Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was done by panel of three persons over the phone, questions were behavioral based. Manager was evasive about answering my questions. Should have been my first clue. Didn't hear from them for a month, and then they wanted an answer in a day. Wanted me to report within 2 weeks, even though I was moving over 1000 miles at my own expense.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your manager, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied on USAjobs. Got called for the in-person interview. It was a panel interview that took about an hour. Each interviewer asked related questions. Interviewers were so patients and got interested as the interview progressed.

Interview Questions

• Basically behavioural questions and a lot of technical questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a firm offer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC) in August 2014.

Interview

One interview, 5 panelists from across Agency. Since my SES qualifications were already established and certified by OPM, not as much time spent on ECQ-related issues. More questions on technology and budget. Not as much on supervisory issues. Several panelists were in the room and then 2 on telecon. Round-robin questions, lasted about an hour.

Senior Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Federal Government (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

Panel interview provided insight on role and function of the organization. Discussed organizational structure and relationship. I was asked what I knew of the organization specifically any recent actiies etc. Worked off a specific list of questions for me to answer. Then allowed me time to ask questions that I had.

Negotiation

None

Supervisory IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Government (Washington, DC).

Interview

Panel Interview from multiple level supervisors. Interview was based on intimidation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It is government, There is no negotiation