Federal Reserve Bank (NY) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.8

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Got both rounds of the interview: First a 30 min phone call with two research analysts, then a 30 min skype interview with a project/group manager or economist. Both were very pleasant experiences.

Markets Group Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online to Chicago and NYC office. Received a first round phone interview. 45 minutes with an employee in the Markets Group. Asked a few questions about economics, why I wanted this job, what I think they do, etc. Left lots of time for me to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• What is Quantitative Easing? What monetary policy does the Fed do? What is in the news about the Fed?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews. First a preliminary phone interview, covering my overall background, interest in the Bank, previous experience, etc. Then there were a few more technical questions about basic statistics/economics, although nothing too technical. Some questions asking about the methodologies employed in developing projects for past internships.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

1) saw job on-line - sent in resume
    2) received a return call from an HR assistant - set up a phone interview with an HR recruiter
    3) received a call from HR recruiter - Interview 1 (can't remember name other than it sounded "old" but her voice was young - Margaret/Ethel??) - I never quite determined what the objective of the phone interview was, as the questions asked were so basic they couldn't possibly gauge anything from them (Q = how are you with people? A = well, not very good actually, but I'm great with penguins - I'll be working with the black and white creatures, right?), but I could start to form an impression of the place (recruiter was late, rude, possibly new or retiring the next day, and read from on-line job posting when responding to my questions)
    4) went on-site - Interview 2 with the department peers (all nice people, with grammar problems and what my current company would call potential EEO comments all over the place; basically went through three, 30-minute interviews, each with 2 new people claiming to be potential peers; possibly a good setup, but there was so much overlap with the questions that I kept tweaking my answers and aced them by the time I got to interviewers 5-6)
    5) went on site - Interview 3 with the department management (I believe it was 2 interviews, one with potential boss and the other with his boss - boss was nice, super boss was, um, a bit inappropriate with comments and most definitely was the best-dressed guy I had ever met who flunked out of elementary school and probably sold cars after work); oh, right, his boss or someone up his food chain popped into the interview for a few non-insightful comments
    6) received call with offer, which I couldn't take, even after they increased it and the number of the level of the job

Overall, I was totally surprised on the downside with the quality of the people I talked to. I can see one or two missing the boat, but seven out of nine gave me a more general sense of the place. At times I thought I was in the Twilight Zone, while other times I thought I was being secretly recorded for an EEO training video. I guess for somone right out of a low tier school, it would be a plus to have the FED on your resume. Oh, the guards or police that work there were super nice and very well spoken. I wasn't overly surprised because my hub's cousin worked there as a policeman and he is great.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the new banking rules enacted after the last big recession?   1 Answer
    • How are you with people?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Awful experience. I had a phone interview with the recruiter. At the end of our call, she said I'd be perfect for the role and asked for my availability for onsite interviews. She said she'd get back to me in @ 2 - 3 days. Weeks passed with no word, so I emailed her. She never responded.
    Incredibly rude and unprofessional.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

Phone interview with research analysts followed by Skype interview with economists. They never asked me a technical question, though I know others who applied who were asked a basic linear algebra question. Mostly just asked me to describe projects related to economics that were listed on my resume. They basically just want you to know STATA and maybe MATLAB depending on what your expertise is.

Interview Questions

• Describe your past economic research projects and experience.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

Current analysts jumped straight into the questions. Not much introduction or behavioral questions. Really seemed like they were just testing competency, economic and econometric understanding, and motivation/fit. Asked for some details about economic models as well, which I was surprised by in a phone interview.

Currency Supervisor -East Rutherford Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Rutherford, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (East Rutherford, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online for East Rutherford location for Currency Supervisor. Process took two months for them to get back to me. First came a call from HR, then a call from the hiring manager, if you pass that then you get invited to East Rutherford for the interview with 5 managers 45 minutes each. I thought I did okay they said they had a few applicants then I never heard from them again.

Rotational Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

My in person interviews consisted of one 1:1 interview with HR and then three rounds of 2:1 interviews with members of the team. The questions were fair and clear, but a bit frustrating because each group asked the same questions. The questions were a mix of behavioral and technical. Most important aspect is having worked extensively with data.

Interview Questions

• What did I think of the most recent FOMC meeting?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you worked with a lot of data.   Answer Question
    • When should the fed raise the interest rate? What market signals would suggest its the right time to do so?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I did a phone interview and they said they would follow up, forwarded my resume to the wrong department and it pretty much got lost. Not a great experience. I hope it goes better for others.