Federal Reserve Bank (NY) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Federal Reserve Bank (NY) Interview Questions

Updated Nov 29, 2017

2.8

Statistics & Research Group Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I was scheduled for an interview only after emailing the campus recruiting team to expedite the decision process because I received a competitive internship offer from one of the other Federal Reserve branch banks with a reply deadline. I was interviewed by two current Research Assistants about my past research experiences; there weren't any extremely technical questions but they wanted me to go into detail. Overall, the interview seemed to be conducted strictly from a script and the interviewers were neither conversational nor energetic. Since the interview could only be scheduled for the day of my reply deadline, I was told to let them know if I decided to decline the other offer so that I *might* have the chance to get a second-round interview with the economist who makes the actual hiring decisions.

Interview Questions

• There are 6-7 teams/functions in the NY Fed, including micro, macro, finance, etc., which one would you see yourself fit in to?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Two Rounds: The first round was with two research analysts. They asked about prior research experience and econometric methods used in the project. In addition, they asked about broad economic interests and which group I was interested in working in.

Interview Questions

• What is one time that you worked in a team and encountered a problem? What did you learn from this?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

The interview process was two rounds. The first round was a screening interview by phone and then they brought me in for a panel interview with several members of the group that was hiring.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation where you had a conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Reporting Analyst Interview

Interview

Was asked in for three hours of interviews. Almost entirely behavioral questions.

They didn't have the decency to tell me I was rejected, I found out weeks later by logging into the fed website. Incredibly unprofessional.

Rotational Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

SLOW! Initial phone interview conducted two weeks after I submitted application. Was contacted for a second round of interviews (via Skype with two officers of the Markets Group) about 5 weeks later. Presented with an offer a month later. Questions are not difficult if you know your stuff. You will stand out if you are passionate about the work and have academic/research experience with related topics.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Fairly simple and direct process - they called me on the phone to assess general knowledge of banking and economics. Then came in for a behavioral based interview with the group I was interviewing for.

Insider Threat Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY).

Interview

Fist interview was at the recruiters office with two people for 30 min .
    Second interview was in location .
    Meeting was late & not everyone showed up .
    On my case was a waste of a day off .
    No feedback either, simply " we are impressed by your technical knowledge" ..
    My understanding :
    They had promised the position to someone already
    They didn't want to pay what I was looking for
    Or I was so bad didn't deserve the feedback which raises a question on how I passed the first round of the interview with the same people on the second interview ?

Interview Questions

• All questions where scenario based . What if ....?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Got both rounds of the interview: First a 30 min phone call with two research analysts, then a 30 min skype interview with a project/group manager or economist. Both were very pleasant experiences.

Markets Group Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online to Chicago and NYC office. Received a first round phone interview. 45 minutes with an employee in the Markets Group. Asked a few questions about economics, why I wanted this job, what I think they do, etc. Left lots of time for me to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• What is Quantitative Easing? What monetary policy does the Fed do? What is in the news about the Fed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews. First a preliminary phone interview, covering my overall background, interest in the Bank, previous experience, etc. Then there were a few more technical questions about basic statistics/economics, although nothing too technical. Some questions asking about the methodologies employed in developing projects for past internships.