Financial Engines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 7, 2017

2.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Hiring manager phone screen followed by onsite with 5 people.
    Interviewers were pretty nice and the team in general seems pretty friendly. Good Environment.Interview was for about 5 hours.

Interview Questions

• Array Manipulation, Palindrome, Anagram, System Design of a simple user registration, Db queries, Spring features   Answer Question

Support Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

I received a phone interview and then I was offered for a face to face interview. I interviewed with three people. I was emailed and was advised to conduct a background check, I was informed by email that the panel was impressed and will like to move forward with me.
    I received a call from an HR rep asking for follow up interviewing questions. Also I was advised that another person will like to conduct a phone interview me. Which seemed odd to me. Let me not forget before I went to my in person interview I had to submit references for two past supervisors.

In a nut shell I though the whole process was unorganized. I mean what company runs your background and then still wants you to interview again!
    After all of this I was declined! Horrible experience!

Interview Questions

Financial Engines Response

Jun 15, 2017 – Sr. Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing feedback on your interviewing experience at Financial Engines. As the leader of the Talent Acquisition organization, candidate experience is a top priority. My team works... More

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

First the recruiter called me and setup a time to talk to the hiring manager. After the telephonic interview with the hiring manager and then an onsite. The onsite consisted of 5 people. Nice office, all the interviewers were there on time.

Interview Questions

• Design problem of distributed systems.   1 Answer

Investment Advisor Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Applied online via job board. Phone call with recruiter. Phone call with manager. In-person with manager and next higher level. Process took 8 weeks. Hand-off from Recruiter to manager required my active involvement

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Financial Engines in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was organized ok but they took several weeks to take a decision. They checked with me once in a while if I was available. Only to let me know in the end that they had selected another candidate. Don't take months to decide- You are not Google.

Interview Questions

• Look at the marketing/sales funnel and tell me why account generation is down   Answer Question

Traffic Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Overland Park, KS).

Interview

The initial phone interview went very well with many "excellent" and "this is just what we're looking for" comments. Within the same week I had the second phone interview with a person in the same city as me and the experience was less than ideal. The interviewer admittedly did not review my qualifications prior to the interview. Instead I took a good amount of my 30 minute interview to outline my professional experience. When questions were eventually asked, the interviewer was short and rude in his tone. He downgraded my current position. He appeared to be garnering information to make a recommendation on new system software and the process surrounding the system rather than trying to determining if I would be a good fit for the position. It was a hostile interview which turned my off immediately.

Senior Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

30-minute phone interview, 4 hours on site one day, 2 hours on site a few days later. The interview was OK, some technical questions but not strict. About half the people were friendly and the other half were hard to read. Pretty normal. Seemed nice.

Interview Questions

The offer process was a complete disaster. The outside recruiting agency was weird and terrible. FE HR accepted my salary req upfront and, after multiple site interviews, lowballed me by $10K, lower title, no explanation. The outside recruiting agency threatened and bullied and insulted me to try to force me into the offer. HR drove the whole offer, no input from the interview team. I liked the team and they liked me but HR blew it all up. I had to decline. Just ridiculous.

Client Services Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Financial Engines (West Des Moines, IA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was right on with what a company should be looking for in a potential candidate. Both the first and second interview were a simple conversation vs question - answer - question - answer. I really enjoyed being interviewed for this position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   2 Answers

Financial Operations Decision Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Overland Park, KS) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was intense and somewhat non-traditional. It involved multiple rounds of panel style interviews, as well as a "homework" assignment to assess analytical and presentation capabilities. A homework assignment for such a senior position was surprising and off-putting. Admittedly I put minimal effort into the homework; the fact it was part of this process made me think the company would not be a good fit for me, but at the same time having progressed through multiple rounds of interviews I didn't want to simply withdrawing myself from consideration. Throughout the process their communication was mediocre, including the point at which they decided to go with a different candidate and did not reach back out to me to let me know. They also neglected to offer any requested feedback about me as a candidate (likes, dislikes, etc.) after the process had concluded.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with SQL query writing?
      Can you use advances Excel functions (ex. sumifs, cubevalues, nested ifs, named ranges, financial, logical, index match, etc.)
      What process improvement experience do you have?
      How do you develop a plan of action in a fast-paced environment with multiple and competing priorities?
      Describe the most complex financial model you have ever created from scratch.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Financial Engines (Overland Park, KS) in August 2016.

Interview

Four different interviews in one day. Two were done onsite and the the other two were done via video conferencing. References were checked prior to interview and were asked to complete an online questionnaire about the candidate.

Interview Questions

• What is your level of expertise with Excel?
      Describe the last project you managed.   Answer Question